Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have the official apple branded case. It's ok at best.

My apple store still sells screen protectors for iPhones.
    I read that the apple case does not work well with the apple dock. Is that true?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I read that the apple case does not work well with the apple dock. Is that true?
    I saw this review on the Apple Case awhile back. I for one think any kind of case blocking the screen just defeats the purpose of it being a tablet. A nice rubber or plastic skin just seems a whole lot easier to access and add protection at the same time. I'm more worried about scratching the back which happens with my iPod Touch even though it stays in a Speck Pixel Case at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I saw this review on the Apple Case awhile back. I for one think any kind of case blocking the screen just defeats the purpose of it being a tablet. A nice rubber or plastic skin just seems a whole lot easier to access and add protection at the same time. I'm more worried about scratching the back which happens with my iPod Touch even though it stays in a Speck Pixel Case at all times.
    You don't have to cover the screen, if that bothers you so much. You can just flip that flap back, like (some people do) on a book.

It's the most versatile case I've seen. Need your screen covered? Fine. Need your screen exposed? Fine. Want a vertical prop? Fine. Want a horizontal prop? Fine. Want a slight tilt to your screen for typing? Fine. Flat orientation? Fine. Want to hide your iPad's "identity?" Fine.

Want a naked iPad? Just take it out - quickly and easily.

It's not perfect, but I think "versatile" is more than fair.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I only use the sync cable, but I would imagine you would have to take it out the case to use the dock.
    The Incase group of cases seems to receive better reviews by users, looking at the Store. Although I don't think any case works in the dock, so far.

I'll be looking for reviews on the 3G version when it comes out, that one is great for travel due to the no-contract data option. It's just too bad it's at a premium though. I wish AT&T offered that option for laptops.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    likeobama, you know my personal opinion of the iPad already but if you feel like you will like it then get it. It's not my cup of tea but it's still a nice cup of tea
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    You don't have to cover the screen, if that bothers you so much. You can just flip that flap back, like (some people do) on a book.

It's the most versatile case I've seen. Need your screen covered? Fine. Need your screen exposed? Fine. Want a vertical prop? Fine. Want a horizontal prop? Fine. Want a slight tilt to your screen for typing? Fine. Flat orientation? Fine. Want to hide your iPad's "identity?" Fine.

Want a naked iPad? Just take it out - quickly and easily.

It's not perfect, but I think "versatile" is more than fair.
    To me it just starts looking like a laptop when you have to flip a cover over to get to the screen. Don't get me wrong, this is most necessary for people that want that extra insurance, but for me its not needed. The screen is glass and scratches on that are rare. If Palm made it (with the cheap plastics on the Pre), I would most definitely have a flip case in a heart beat, maybe even more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Incase group of cases seems to receive better reviews by users, looking at the Store. Although I don't think any case works in the dock, so far.

I'll be looking for reviews on the 3G version when it comes out, that one is great for travel due to the no-contract data option. It's just too bad it's at a premium though. I wish AT&T offered that option for laptops.
    Speck is making a Candy Hard Case that should be released soon. It allows a nice dock connection. Here's the link.

In regards to the premium and chances for other devices to hop onto the AT&T no-contract, I read somewhere the $130 extra you pay for the 3G version is split up in two parts. Its not factual but it starts to make sense. Say it cost $30 to put 3G and GPS into the iPad.

Now you have $100 bucks left that can go to AT&T for an upfront subsidy to eliminate a need for a contract so AT&T makes their money aka reverse subsidization. I think this is the best way to contract out services and hopefully others catch on. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $100 upfront so I can have a month to month contract.

Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    likeobama, you know my personal opinion of the iPad already but if you feel like you will like it then get it. It's not my cup of tea but it's still a nice cup of tea
    The iPad 3G + a jailbreak will be paying for itself after a year so I think I will have that cup of tea.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I love my iPad and the Apple case. I don't use a dock.
    In regards to the premium and chances for other devices to hop onto the AT&T no-contract, I read somewhere the $130 extra you pay for the 3G version is split up in two parts. Its not factual but it starts to make sense. Say it cost $30 to put 3G and GPS into the iPad.

Now you have $100 bucks left that can go to AT&T for an upfront subsidy to eliminate a need for a contract so AT&T makes their money aka reverse subsidization. I think this is the best way to contract out services and hopefully others catch on. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $100 upfront so I can have a month to month contract
    I still don't see why this can't be offered for laptops. All they need to do is charge for the dongle and month to month service. Why only iPads?

Virgin Mobile does this, but the data offering is paltry.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #70  
    I still don't see why this can't be offered for laptops. All they need to do is charge for the dongle and month to month service. Why only iPads?

I'm not even sure, but maybe it has something to do with AT&T wanting to keep Apple happy and preventing any thoughts of making a CDMA iPhone. I mean data usage would probably be even worse on the 3G iPad seeing how its a pure entertainment device.
    Last edited by likeobama; 04/19/2010 at 02:43 PM.

I haven't heard anyone mention the potential implications of the rumored mini-SIM in the upcoming iPhone. Assuming one could get into the iPad, I guess the card could go in there.

Probably too much of a pain, but I'd expect SOMEONE to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention the potential implications of the rumored mini-SIM in the upcoming iPhone. Assuming one could get into the iPad, I guess the card could go in there.

Probably too much of a pain, but I'd expect SOMEONE to go there.
    hmm..maybe Apple & AT&T wants that to happen. Imagine if AT&T can come up with a combo data plan for the iPad/Iphone - just swap your Micro-SIM and you're good to go. Of course it would be easier if AT&T provides tethering...
    A webOS version of the iPad would be pretty cool, wouldn't it?
    I'm not even sure, but maybe it has something to do with AT&T wanting to keep Apple happy and preventing any thoughts of making a CDMA iPhone. I mean data usage would probably be even worse on the 3G iPad seeing how its a pure entertainment device.
    I don't like the "only Apple customers matter" approach. How many corporate users with laptops could use pay as you go data for those times when there's no wifi and the hotel DSL is too expensive? My friend uses the VM overpriced dongle service but it's godsend to him in those circumstances.

15.    #75  
    I don't like the "only Apple customers matter" approach. How many corporate users with laptops could use pay as you go data for those times when there's no wifi and the hotel DSL is too expensive? My friend uses the VM overpriced dongle service but it's godsend to him in those circumstances.
    It does suck. I'm not with AT&T but whenever I go to the site or stores to check out phones and plans I always get this feeling that the iPhone is the main attraction and the other devices are just there to fill up space. Apple has really got AT&T by the neck so I really don't see AT&T offering no contract 3g to just anybody without some type of bargaining chip.

With current data plans, to have to pay $60+ a month on a 2 year contract has always kept me from ever thinking of owning a portable mifi device or dongle. Business users on the other hand can somewhat justify the cost seeing how they'll get a whole lot more usage out of it than the average user. Once the iPad 3G gets jailbroken and can tether, that might be a better solution for your friend, especially with the 10hr battery life.
    No he needs a fully functioning laptop and isn't likely to spend the money on something he may or may not be able to use like a laptop. He has to use programs that I don't even think iPad can take.

17.    #77  
    No he needs a fully functioning laptop and isn't likely to spend the money on something he may or may not be able to use like a laptop. He has to use programs that I don't even think iPad can take.
    Oh, I meant he could use it as a mifi device once it gets jailbroken similar to how people tether laptops with the iPhone. Granted it would be an extra device to carry plus the upfront cost but it could save dough in the long run compared to VM's pay as you go plans if that's what he uses.
    iPad 3G denies ABC player, downsamples iTunes store video previews over AT&T -- Engadget

AT&T has facked up the 3G experience. Thanks AT&T, I will save my cash and just continue to use my phone.

my opinion on it is its a nice netbook alternative. I recently got my girl it, and the overdrive from sprint so she can use the 3g/4g where ever she goes. Its very nice as I stated if you are just using it for email, surf the web, facebook, myspace, keep your photos in, play games and watch movies on the go. they also have a nice doc editing, and creating application, so though its missing things like flash, it does do the most basic things and well, it also has very very good battery life.
    iPad 3G denies ABC player, downsamples iTunes store video previews over AT&T -- Engadget

AT&T has facked up the 3G experience. Thanks AT&T, I will save my cash and just continue to use my phone.
    I just confirmed It for myself. Sux.

Surprisingly, I thought the same waa true of the Netflix application, at first because it kept telling my something... like there was no Internet connection or ... something. Anyway, after 3tries, it worked. I thick the problem was just that I had JUST set up the 3G account and it apparently hadn't fully connected, yet.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast