Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scott500 View Post
    I'm thinking on getting the HP Slate when it finally arrives..for a quick web browsing and email system.
    gy
    At least it has a usb port and a forward facing camera for Skype.

I don't really need it..i just like technolo
    You spelt "Lenovo Ideapad U1 Hybrid" wrong there

Looks awesome.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Are you willing to hold off at all? Although it's a gamble, the price MAY come down. September is refresh month with Apple. Even in June when the 4G iPhone gets announced, there may be a price change. I also say let the early adopters tell Apple about all the kinks then a firmware update may be coming too.

And thinking on it, the 3G version sounds better for those times when wifi can't be found. Although at the price they want, one could just get the 4G iPhone LOL!

BTW, does security software work for the iPad? I can see these on the "heavily stolen" list like laptops.
    It makes sense to wait, I'm not in any rush to get one, I just don't want to be tempted later in the year to wait another couple months for the 2G version.

Regarding 3G, for me it makes perfect sense. Instead of paying $10-15 a day for hotel wifi, you can get a whole months worth for 30 bucks. I could always just tether but what if I'm on an important phone call or expecting one, Verizon nor the Pre have simultaneous Voice and Data. Getting a Mifi device means a contract and its just an extra device to lug around.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'd get a MiFi thingee before I'd be forced to pay AT&T for monthly, iPad-specific service.

That is, if I couldn't just share my phone's internet connection, of course. That said, MiFi's STILL tempting.
    That's a contract...AT&T offers stop and go.

I thought I saw a no contract option of 250MB for $15. If you use this as your primary computing device outside office or home, I could see people paying that due to "just in case" moments. I'm not sure about the $30 unlimited though, unless you plan to use it outside a lot, but then people say the screen shows up badly.
    That "just in case" moment is really nice to have especially if you're traveling. For instance, imagine taking a road trip with a friend. He or she has a dumbphone, you have a Pre but you're on a phone interview. He needs internet fast in order to find out if the address he put in the GPS was the same one he saw on the main website. What to do?? Instant on the iPad, sign up for a month of 3g (or less), bam, problem solved.
    Does anyone know if the iPad 3G service fee is prorated? That is, if you sign up for one month of service but cancel midway, will you get a refund?
    The $30 unlimited is no contract too , according to the screen shown at Job's announcement. No contract likely means no refunds though, knowing AT&T. You just have the option of not renewing. Although a call to AT&T would be better, since I'm speculating. But they don't give refunds on pre-paid phone service.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    What to do?? Instant on the iPad, sign up for a month of 3g (or less), bam, problem solved.
    Made a mistake meant to say "sign up for a month of unlimited 3g (or less,the 250mb for $15)"

Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Does anyone know if the iPad 3G service fee is prorated? That is, if you sign up for one month of service but cancel midway, will you get a refund?
    I'm pretty sure that would be abused too often if they allowed that. It would be nice if you could roll over your unused 250mb though.

The $30 unlimited is no contract too , according to the screen shown at Job's announcement.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not even sure if everyone that lined up for the Wifi version understood that. Once they figure it out I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be demanding an exchange. I mean for an extra $130 bucks you get GPS and no-contract 3g!! That's unheard of and that alone is a big selling point to me. Imagine the usage once it gets jailbroken too, I mean its a prepaid Mifi for the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    That's a contract...AT&T offers stop and go.
    I feel you, but if I am going to pay that much in a month, I would rather it not be just for one device go be online.

Unlikely, either way, but that's my thinking.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Knowing that there was a restocking fee, what did you expect it to be like, when you bought it.

I am assuming you'd heard it was "just a big iPod Touch" before launch, so what were you thinking WAS there, that wasn't?
    My 3 yr old daughter loves it. My wife likes the games and e-reader, especially that its backlit unlike the kindle. Perhaps that combined with simply having it around the house will be enough.

We had a blast today playing air hockey. Took a car trip today and it was a hit. First day we've really had a lot of time to play with it. Used iphone to tether it.
    I saw a guy with one. They should have called it the iTablet IMO. Or iSlab. It's not bad physically, and when they can get 4.0 working, people who only do email, reading and surfing/streaming could go out with these instead of their laptops. They can probably do that now too, just no multi-tasking.

The one drawback is price. For the price of the ones with decent storage(16GB is not really enough for a tablet IMO) you could get an iPhone on no contract(or another unlocked smartphone) or even a netbook if you don't want to drag a laptop around.
    There won't be any multitasking this fall on the iPad, either. That part of the update will not apply.
  9.    #49  
    I feel you, but if I am going to pay that much in a month, I would rather it not be just for one device go be online.

Unlikely, either way, but that's my thinking.
    Once the 3G version is jailbroken the possibilities are endless. Turn it into a Mifi device, take it overseas and put a local mini sim chip in and have access to internet if wifi isn't available.
    I wish there were a way to observe it's 3G speeds now, to know what's in store for us.

I don't expect much signal pentration or higher speeds than I can share from my phone.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    There won't be any multitasking this fall on the iPad, either. That part of the update will not apply.
    Wrong

iPad gets the same 4.0 in the fall
  12.    #52  
    I wish there were a way to observe it's 3G speeds now, to know what's in store for us.

I don't expect much signal pentration or higher speeds than I can share from my phone.

This is from PC Worlds 2nd performance test back on Feb 22nd. At&t continues to improve speed and infrastructure because of how popular the iPhone is. Their 3G isn't available everywhere but when it is its fast.

Here's the link for more info:
    AT&T Roars Back in PCWorld’s Second 3G Wireless Performance Test - PCWorld
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Wrong

iPad gets the same 4.0 in the fall
    I have been looking for references to refute your claim and avenge my ego against your tone, but I don't see anything saying the iPad will or won't get multitasking, exactly. The closest I've seen to either is tiPB's repeated iPhone 4.0 parenthicals: "(iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch only)."

Maybe that's why I thought multitasking would be denied the iPad, but I have listened to and read so much iPad and 4.0 coverage that I tend to think it has been said more explicitly. Until I can prove that, I will have to continue to suffer your invisible, evil glares.

Grrr.
  14.    #54  
    I have been looking for references to refute your claim and avenge my ego against your tone, but I don't see anything saying the iPad will or won't get multitasking, exactly. The closest I've seen to either is tiPB's repeated iPhone 4.0 parenthicals: "(iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch only)."

Maybe that's why I thought multitasking would be denied the iPad, but I have listened to and read so much iPad and 4.0 coverage that I tend to think it has been said more explicitly. Until I can prove that, I will have to continue to suffer your invisible, evil glares.

Grrr.
    Yeah, I haven't seen anything saying exactly but Jobs did deny multitasking to every iPod device before the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch late 2009 version. I found a couple of articles on engadget they say the iPad is getting 4.0 but doesn't specify which parts. Seeing how the iPad has better specs than iPhone 3GS I think it would be stupid if they keep multitasking off of it but you never know.

Also if you look at the bottom of the first link it says "Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)." That seems kind of scary to just not include the iPad in there.

Apple - iPhone - iPhone OS 4 Preview

iPhone OS 4 not coming to the iPad until the fall -- Engadget

Multitasking comes to iPhone OS 4.0 -- but not to the iPhone 3G -- Engadget
    The iPad will get multitasking with R4.1. That's the release that will unite the iPhone and ipad features. At least that's what I've read online.
    I love my iPad. My kids love it too. I noticed something strange though. Since I got it, I rarely use my iPhone and have been using my pre plus a lot more (for it's tethering capabilities). If Palm was smart they would somehow advertise the pre as the perfect iPad companion.

Anyway, I am addicted to the scrabble game, MLB app, and really enjoying the iBook app.
    Has anyone had the "overheat in sun" issue? And any way to get around the sunlight viewing issue?

Although using indoors is probably better anyway, but a portable device should be truly portable.

Also will this sync to Mobile Me for the security feature(find my device)?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Has anyone had the "overheat in sun" issue? And any way to get around the sunlight viewing issue?

Although using indoors is probably better anyway, but a portable device should be truly portable.

Also will this sync to Mobile Me for the security feature(find my device)?
    while I am not a mobile me user, I do believe the iPad uses the find my device feature

I used it outdoors for a few hours today while reading an iBook. No heat problems but it is difficult to use in direct sunlight. I bet it won't be long till 3rd part accessories show up for reading in the sun( antiglare screen protectors or something).

Really liking mine so far, but I am not trying to replace my laptop with it. Purely an entertainment device for me (besides the email client that I really like).
    I was thinking earlier that anti-glare screen protectors might help, but then all screen protectors are being removed from the Store from what I read? Hopefully someone else reputable online will sell them.

I'm also not too enthusiastic about the Store's approved cases. MAYBE the $50 one, but that's it.

I was thinking earlier that anti-glare screen protectors might help, but then all screen protectors are being removed from the Store from what I read? Hopefully someone else reputable online will sell them.

I'm also not too enthusiastic about the Store's approved cases. MAYBE the $50 one, but that's it.
    I have the official apple branded case. It's ok at best.

My apple store still sells screen protectors for iPhones.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast