Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Wifi is weak.

Screen is nice...indoors. Outdoors, its nearly unreadable. Killer ereader indoors.

No 4.0 til fall, but even then, its a weak upgrade.

Purely consumption device. Any so called productivity apps are garbage.

Web browser is much slower than a laptop or desktop.

Games pretty much suck. It's just inherent in the form factor and the weight is a problem. Have to use one hand to hold device. Unless you lay device in lap and assume the ipad position. Even then its awkward.

Apps in general aren't compelling. Cost too much.

Can't type on this thing easily.

So if you want a great photo frame and e-reader and stick to indoors, this is the device for you. It's a big ipod touch with a killer screen...indoors. Up to you whether its worth 829 or even 499. Personally, i wouldn't pay more than 499 for it. With all the streaming options and online storage, save your money.

If you already own an iphone, then you've already got the much better device.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I love how people are responding as if the op was asking them if THEY should buy an iPad. "No thanks," as it's all about you.

Anyway, there have been some good points made about the iPad, but I will add that the speaker system is the $#!+.

I played a video podcast, cranked the volume up and could hear it throughout my modest home.
    With it cranked up did it distort the sound any, or make a static like sound. I've heard smaller speakers do this before.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Wifi is weak.

Screen is nice...indoors. Outdoors, its nearly unreadable. Killer ereader indoors.

Games pretty much suck. It's just inherent in the form factor and the weight is a problem. Have to use one hand to hold device. Unless you lay device in lap and assume the ipad position. Even then its awkward.

So if you want a great photo frame and e-reader and stick to indoors, this is the device for you. It's a big ipod touch with a killer screen...indoors. Up to you whether its worth 829 or even 499. Personally, i wouldn't pay more than 499 for it. With all the streaming options and online storage, save your money.

I need to get some one on one action on this thing because from what I've been reading its split 50/50. Some love the keyboard, some don't, some love the browsing experience, etc, etc. I think comparing this to a netbook or desktop is not what Apple was intending to do. IMO I think they want to eliminate Netbooks and show customers a different category where Netbooks don't exist and in between a smartphone and laptop lies the iPad. It does some things better than each, while lacking or doing poorly in others.

Regarding the issues like overheating and the low wifi signal, that is one of the main reasons I'm waiting for the 3G version, so they can sort things out. Also, maybe it won't matter much, but the 3G version has the black plastic strip on the back to help with signal for the 3G. I'm hoping that could also help get wifi in and out easier compared to an all aluminum backing.

For apps, I see myself buying the basics. I've wasted so much money on apps on my iPod Touch that I've kind of learned my lesson. Air Video is a must, maybe the Pages app, a better, faster remote desktop client, a fast PDF viewer, and that's probably it. I won't buy books because I'm able to access millions if not more free resources all over the web. I'll convert them and use those.

And to top all of that off a Jailbreak is coming soon followed by iPhone OS 4.0. I might wait till summer to see if prices drop, or I might not if the Jailbreak comes sooner.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Wifi "issues" is a bit of a stretch. I believe apple addressed that with the setup recommendations for dual band routers.

FYI: I'm posting this from my iPad over my pre mobile hotspot, well across the house, three rooms away.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Wifi "issues" is a bit of a stretch. I believe apple addressed that with the setup recommendations for dual band routers.

FYI: I'm posting this from my iPad over my pre mobile hotspot, well across the house, three rooms away.
    I read about this but I really didn't understand. I took away that you have to rename your Wifi network if there was another one with a similar name.
    It's still a weak wifi signal. Even if you solve the disconnecting problem..if you have any. Probably not an issue if you're only using at home mainly.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    It's still a weak wifi signal. Even if you solve the disconnecting problem..if you have any. Probably not an issue if you're only using at home mainly.
    Do you have an iPad or are you using 3rd party stories?

My experience at home, GF's house, office and Tethered to my pre have been flawless.
    If Ipad 2 comes out with less bezel and with the screen covering every inch of the front, then i might consider buying it.
    Do you have an iPad or are you using 3rd party stories?

My experience at home, GF's house, office and Tethered to my pre have been flawless.
    I have one still. Probably returning though. Wifi isn't the reason though..it's just a big ipod touch that is the problem. I don't really need it since i own an iphone.
    I have one still. Probably returning though. Wifi isn't the reason though..it's just a big ipod touch that is the problem. I don't really need it since i own an iphone.

Knowing that there was a restocking fee, what did you expect it to be like, when you bought it.

I am assuming you'd heard it was "just a big iPod Touch" before launch, so what were you thinking WAS there, that wasn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    your home must be really modest :-) Just kidding.

I played with the iPad for the first time today. It's a great device with a few flaws. I will definitely get one...it's just a question of when and which version.
    Definitely flawed, but fun! I hope it works out for you. I'm still undecided about mine.

An example of how annoying it can be -the NPR app is decent, but when I listen to one of its audio segments, I'm stuck staring at the app while it plays. I can't go check out my email or surf the web. If I do, audio stops. If I return to the app, I have to reload the audio segment. It doesn't force me to start from the beginning - I can scrub to the last part I heard, but it'd be nice if it made up for not playing in the background by restarting from the same point that you left it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I'm not trying to change your mind. Just some comments on the below.

But first, THANK YOU for the two-finger scrolling advice. I couldn't find the thread where you made the suggestion, so I could thank you there, so I had to hit you up here. Your suggestions have really helped me with his device.

I agree with some of what you've said but the web browsing experience, for me, is awesome. It almost feels like it did when I was first introduced to the web. I see why Jobs or others might be tempted to call it "magical" although, with its shortcomings, I certainly agree that it doesn't deserve that label.

As for games, I'm mostly trying out the free games so that I won't have wasted a bunch of money if I decide to sell this sucker. I'm enjoying the ones I've tried, so far. That air hockey game, alone, makes my day. I won't try stuff like Plants vs Zombies until or unless I decide to jeep th device.

The apps are pricey, though.

Typing IS a challenge, but it's one I'm adjusting to. For instance, instead of avoiding contractions like the plague, due to Apple's unfortunate choice to put the apostrophe a layer deeper than the letters, I am learning to just type without the apostrophe and watch the auto-correct feature fix it for me.
    Wifi is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    With it cranked up did it distort the sound any, or make a static like sound. I've heard smaller speakers do this before.

I need to get some one on one action on this thing because from what I've been reading its split 50/50. Some love the keyboard, some don't, some love the browsing experience, etc, etc. I think comparing this to a netbook or desktop is not what Apple was intending to do. IMO I think they want to eliminate Netbooks and show customers a different category where Netbooks don't exist and in between a smartphone and laptop lies the iPad. It does some things better than each, while lacking or doing poorly in others.

Regarding the issues like overheating and the low wifi signal, that is one of the main reasons I'm waiting for the 3G version, so they can sort things out. Also, maybe it won't matter much, but the 3G version has the black plastic strip on the back to help with signal for the 3G. I'm hoping that could also help get wifi in and out easier compared to an all aluminum backing.

For apps, I see myself buying the basics. I've wasted so much money on apps on my iPod Touch that I've kind of learned my lesson. Air Video is a must, maybe the Pages app, a better, faster remote desktop client, a fast PDF viewer, and that's probably it. I won't buy books because I'm able to access millions if not more free resources all over the web. I'll convert them and use those.

And to top all of that off a Jailbreak is coming soon followed by iPhone OS 4.0. I might wait till summer to see if prices drop, or I might not if the Jailbreak comes sooner.
    The wifi thing is a mixed bag. While it does miss networks that my other devices see or have seen in the past, I've started checking to see if I can actually SURF on those networks (on my other devices) and usually I cannot. I'm starting to think that this thing can tell when a network isn't close ENOUGH to browse semi-reliably.

That said, there are still times when it keeps needing to reconnect to an existing network. Networks drop and reappear all the time - eve my home wifi network, but maybe the iPad doesn't handle that as elegantly as other devices.

Anyway, I'm still hanging in there. Sharing my mobile phone's connection is working out pretty well, right now, and keeping me from missing 3G much. My only real concern on that front has to do with whether I could actually stream a Netflix movie getter if I had 3G.

I won't hold my breath, though, because, last night, even my wifi connection wasn't up to the task - or maybe there's some issued on Netflix's end.

So far, I'm going to day that 3G ain't for me.

Your experiences may be different (ie "better") but it is not a stretch to call them "issues.". I experience these problems on multiple networks. And most of the advice I saw Apple was rookie-level stuff that was of no use to me whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    If Ipad 2 comes out with less bezel and with the screen covering every inch of the front, then i might consider buying it.
    A downside to that is the same issue I sometimes have with my Pre - there's no place to hold thing, up ugh, without risking activating something on the touchscreen. A lil buffer is nice to have.

But obviously, I'm not telling you what to do with YOUR hard-earned money.

Just offering a different perspective.
    Whew. I'm kinda impressed. (with the device, not myself)

I just posted all of that using the iPad, on my phone's internet connection. On my Pre, this would have been possible, but less pleasurable, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Geohot and company have a Jailbreak! The iPad just keeps getting better and better the longer I wait. Upcoming Jailbreak, Late April 3G version, Fall Release of iPad's iPhone OS 4.0=Win.

I really don't see anymore disadvantages.
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....ak-comex-2.png
    Are you willing to hold off at all? Although it's a gamble, the price MAY come down. September is refresh month with Apple. Even in June when the 4G iPhone gets announced, there may be a price change. I also say let the early adopters tell Apple about all the kinks then a firmware update may be coming too.

And thinking on it, the 3G version sounds better for those times when wifi can't be found. Although at the price they want, one could just get the 4G iPhone LOL!

BTW, does security software work for the iPad? I can see these on the "heavily stolen" list like laptops.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Are you willing to hold off at all? Although it's a gamble, the price MAY come down. September is refresh month with Apple. Even in June when the 4G iPhone gets announced, there may be a price change. I also say let the early adopters tell Apple about all the kinks then a firmware update may be coming too.

And thinking on it, the 3G version sounds better for those times when wifi can't be found. Although at the price they want, one could just get the 4G iPhone LOL!

BTW, does security software work for the iPad? I can see these on the "heavily stolen" list like laptops.
    I'd get a MiFi thingee before I'd be forced to pay AT&T for monthly, iPad-specific service.

That is, if I couldn't just share my phone's internet connection, of course. That said, MiFi's STILL tempting.
    I saw a guy with one. They should have called it the iTablet IMO. Or iSlab. It's not bad physically, and when they can get 4.0 working, people who only do email, reading and surfing/streaming could go out with these instead of their laptops. They can probably do that now too, just no multi-tasking.

The one drawback is price. For the price of the ones with decent storage(16GB is not really enough for a tablet IMO) you could get an iPhone on no contract(or another unlocked smartphone) or even a netbook if you don't want to drag a laptop around.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'd get a MiFi thingee before I'd be forced to pay AT&T for monthly, iPad-specific service.

That is, if I couldn't just share my phone's internet connection, of course. That said, MiFi's STILL tempting.
    I thought I saw a no contract option of 250MB for $15. If you use this as your primary computing device outside office or home, I could see people paying that due to "just in case" moments. I'm not sure about the $30 unlimited though, unless you plan to use it outside a lot, but then people say the screen shows up badly.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I'm thinking on getting the HP Slate when it finally arrives..for a quick web browsing and email system.

At least it has a usb port and a forward facing camera for Skype.

I don't really need it..i just like technology
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast