Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Not in my case. Web and email is all I need while on the road. The iPad would have been perfect. I love my laptop but with laptop theft very high while traveling, it's unsafe to take it with all your info and files on it. If someone gets the iPad, they have limited files and info. And I think iPad is password protected and Mobile Me protected also.
    Still don't get it. Your iphone or whatever can't do web or email? Buying a 1000 dollar device (after you get a cover, a few apps, etc) to do something that simple because of a slightly bigger screen? Ipad sucks in daylight IMO.

And it seems an ipad would be an even bigger theft target if that's what concerns you. (you can secure laptops you know).
    Concerning using a phone over an iPad. I'm guessing you have 20/20 vision? I don't and the option of a larger screen would be nice to have. 16GB is all I would get since I do think the price is a little high considering no USB and no card storage. Cases are about $30-$40 online. The apps I would use would likely be almost the same ones as on the iPhone and most of those are free or aren't too much money. I wouldn't be buying any that I feel are unnecessarily overpriced over the iPhone version.

And even if I secure my laptop, it will be a severe loss if stolen. Even if they can't get in. This means I gotta dig up a new $1200 out of somewhere and start from scratch. I have the files backed up on an external drive, but that would still seriously bite to have it stolen. Now if it's a common thief, maybe they'll just wipe the drive, but someone more tech savvy may still be able to recover sensitive info. I don't want my whole life out there for some stranger. I even cringe when sometimes I buy phones from others, their info is still on it. I hard reset ASAP.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    For me, it was more that the data was integrated. With netbooks, I'd still have to get an expensive card. But thanks AT&T(read sig).
    I didn't get the 3G version of iPad since I can tether it to my Pre for free. With a small two minute hack of course.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Not in my case. Web and email is all I need while on the road. The iPad would have been perfect. I love my laptop but with laptop theft very high while traveling, it's unsafe to take it with all your info and files on it. If someone gets the iPad, they have limited files and info. And I think iPad is password protected and Mobile Me protected also.
    The thing about theft is that they don't target based on monetary value, they target based on "what's easier to flip". My Macbook Pro is about $2000 but if you strolled in with your $500 iPad then the thieves wouldn't even be looking at me.

As much as I'd like to take my iPad everywhere, I tend not to because I live in LA and it's still too much of a head turner to use in public safely. I used to feel the same way about the iPhone but now that everyone has one then it's not a big deal anymore so maybe one day it will be the same with the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Still don't get it. Your iphone or whatever can't do web or email? Buying a 1000 dollar device (after you get a cover, a few apps, etc) to do something that simple because of a slightly bigger screen? Ipad sucks in daylight IMO.

And it seems an ipad would be an even bigger theft target if that's what concerns you. (you can secure laptops you know).
    Why buy a 50 inch flat panel when a 20 inch will do the same?

For most things, the larger screen real-estate makes the experience far better. For example, I would rather read ebooks on my 10 inch screen than my 3.5 inch screen. It makes a huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The thing about theft is that they don't target based on monetary value, they target based on "what's easier to flip". My Macbook Pro is about $2000 but if you strolled in with your $500 iPad then the thieves wouldn't even be looking at me.

As much as I'd like to take my iPad everywhere, I tend not to because I live in LA and it's still too much of a head turner to use in public safely. I used to feel the same way about the iPhone but now that everyone has one then it's not a big deal anymore so maybe one day it will be the same with the iPad.
    And yet laptops are very high on the theft/loss list, especially when traveling. Also in home buglaries(another thing that makes me very nervous). I wouldn't have the iPad too much in the street anyway. More in the hotel room where I don't have to pay for overpriced hotel internet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd rather have a smartphone. And a ultralight laptop with a real OS & apps for anything a smartphone can't do well.

The iPad is like bringing a large limited iphone with you. There's not much of a point to it.

I could easily kill an hour or two with a smartphone if traveling (especially the iphone 4). Why lug an ipad around and be so uncomfortable trying to use it? And if you want to do anything productive you have to carry a small laptop (choose wisely, some have great battery life) anyway.
    I dunno. People say that, but the iPad seems capable of doing pretty much any of the "productive" things that I do and, with LogMeIn, I have remote access to a great deal of the rest.

Smaller and lighter than a laptop, with no moving parts, lonnnnnng battery life and zero heat output - plus an always-on Internet connection. It's bigger than my smartphone, which is useful when I'm typing too much for the Pre's little keyboard. The advantages go on from there.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    cardfan, I think it's time for you to return your iPad - if your wife and kids will let you :-)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Cool. Now you can do Webex while doing concalls in the car
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    An overpriced over sized ipod touch, no thanks.
    Totally agree!!
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

It felt like I should post this when I saw it.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011