Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    When I say I do not know, I meaning the usefulness in my life of a tablet styled device even if it had WebOS on it let alone iOS. The form factor is the issue. I love my Pre Plus and it's perfect for a phone. For gaming I use my PC or my PS3 Wii etc. For surfing the net from bed I use my laptop.
    Now, maybe it's because I do NOT own one that I haven't seen the benefit of owning a device of the type the iPad is.

If I could find a use for it, for certain WebOS and multitasking would be ideal. But I would still need to find that use. Right?

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Fair point.

It is kind of a catch-22 that one *may* not know if it's for you until you get it. As far as how to use it, the list is pretty long and I'm sure there's little I could mention that you wouldn't already know so maybe none of that or not enough of it applies to you.

I like reading books on it. I like how they're cheaper. Surfing is generally a better experience. Carrying it around is easier because of its size and form so I bring it with me everywhere. Internet everywhere is great - especially since AT&T's signal seems to be better than Sprint's in my area.

For me, it is good for the things you mentioned and more, but I know that I am not the typical tech consumer.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    WOW
    Quote Originally Posted by theofanis View Post
    WOW
    To whom are you replying?
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    To whom are you replying?
    don't talk to the troll.

any list of ipad alternatives with pricing
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Fair point.

It is kind of a catch-22 that one *may* not know if it's for you until you get it. As far as how to use it, the list is pretty long and I'm sure there's little I could mention that you wouldn't already know so maybe none of that or not enough of it applies to you.
    I agree. Many people seem to be dismissing the iPad before even using it simply because of the manufacturer (and subsequently assuming a WebOS model would be awesome with no real proof either), but where the Tablet fits into our lives individually can't be understood until you actually use it for a few weeks. My list of uses before owning one is completely different than it is now, and my usage pattern differs from yours. That's because it's a familiar concept (due to smartphones/pda/computer) but has little nuances that changes the way we put it to work.

I still don't recommend it to everyone since it's a pricey device that is already due for an upgrade (retinal screen, camera). But I think that in a few years then people will be more accepting of tablets and hopefully we see a lot of different flavors from different manufacturers.
    For those have not used Ipad before. I tell u as a long time Palm loyal. The experience is totally different from using a pc, tablet (Microsoft), netbook,.. or smartphone, no matter it is a Pre. Therefore, to say WebOS pad will be better than Ipad is only an imagination statement.

I must admit , it is good!

I am not sure if I still have the imagination after IOS 4.0. Please palm pal dont laugh at IOS 4.0 if they just start to search Wiki, multi tasking, single combined email inbox, synergy...., They are catching WebOS, we should worry cause palm has not started a quality smartphone yet. Palm WebOS was once a future OS, but the future is already now. Steve Job is very pragmatic.

HP... pls surprise us with a WebOS pad.
    Last edited by lawtony; 06/16/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    I read somewhere that hp already has a tablet with webOs planned. What sets the iPad apart from all other tablets so far is battery life. Android already had a tablet out with 2 hour battery life.... Give me a break. The whole point of a tablet is portability and battery life. iPad is ten hour web surfing and 1.5 pounds.. That's what makes it attractive. But don't kid yourself... Webos is way way better in terms of usability.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Amazing.

WebOS is a great example of style WITH substance. It is not just pretty or cute or cool. It is downright practical and has seriously spoiled me with regard to mobile operating systems.

There are times I grab my Pre instead of my iPad. Multitasking is powerful as hell.

How could you not know?
    You might want to look at adding ProSwitcher and backgrounder to your iPad.

Complete deal changers and quite honestly, takes the wind out of any WebOS tablet desire for me....

Edit: Don't get caught up in his method of task switching. There are a ton of different options, from the swipe up from the bottom to shake or double tap on title bar. They all work great
    Last edited by genearch; 06/16/2010 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    You might want to look at adding ProSwitcher and backgrounder to your iPad.

Complete deal changers and quite honestly, takes the wind out of any WebOS tablet desire for me....

Edit: Don't get caught up in his method of task switching. There are a ton of different options, from the swipe up from the bottom to shake or double tap on title bar. They all work great
    Is this a post-Jailbreak app? I don't see it in the app store.

You got my hopes up.
    I see no point to the device especially for the price. If I want to browse the internet quickly or look up some things I use my phone, for everything else I use my laptop.

IMO if you have a smartphone and a computer there is no need for a tablet. Once the novelty wears off it will be nothing more than a paperweight.....and that is only my opinion
    Sure, if you stay home based all the time, but what if you travel? I'd rather take a tablet with limited info than my laptop with all my info. Although a netbook would serve the same purpose.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes . it is a jailbreak app
    The current multitasking Ipad launcher such as proswitcher still need a little bit enhancement to compete with webOS.
    They are "closing" & "minimizing" of the apps.
    Proswitcher need to hold the minimizing program for a while before you can swift it out.(the new version have already enchanced , great!!!)
    It hipcups the whole intuitative operation and makes the experience diff.
    Also the minimizing program is only a snapshot, it will make u wonder if the current program is operating althought it is not a very big deal.

However, I do believe they will enhance it sooner or later.
    Last edited by lawtony; 06/16/2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sure, if you stay home based all the time, but what if you travel? I'd rather take a tablet with limited info than my laptop with all my info. Although a netbook would serve the same purpose.
    The difference being battery life. 10 hours vs 3 or 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'd rather have a smartphone. And a ultralight laptop with a real OS & apps for anything a smartphone can't do well.

The iPad is like bringing a large limited iphone with you. There's not much of a point to it.

I could easily kill an hour or two with a smartphone if traveling (especially the iphone 4). Why lug an ipad around and be so uncomfortable trying to use it? And if you want to do anything productive you have to carry a small laptop (choose wisely, some have great battery life) anyway.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    is there a jailbreak for flash yet or ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The difference being battery life. 10 hours vs 3 or 4.
    For me, it was more that the data was integrated. With netbooks, I'd still have to get an expensive card. But thanks AT&T(read sig).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd rather have a smartphone. And a ultralight laptop with a real OS & apps for anything a smartphone can't do well.

The iPad is like bringing a large limited iphone with you. There's not much of a point to it.

I could easily kill an hour or two with a smartphone if traveling (especially the iphone 4). Why lug an ipad around and be so uncomfortable trying to use it? And if you want to do anything productive you have to carry a small laptop (choose wisely, some have great battery life) anyway.

Not in my case. Web and email is all I need while on the road. The iPad would have been perfect. I love my laptop but with laptop theft very high while traveling, it's unsafe to take it with all your info and files on it. If someone gets the iPad, they have limited files and info. And I think iPad is password protected and Mobile Me protected also.

I agree Diva. I just got back from a vacation and the iPad worked perfectly for what i wanted from it. It's just so easy to grab and use and it's instant on standby lets you get going immediately. It's size is just so perfect for slipping in and out of a bag and using even without and table surface. For example, looking at maps on it is a breeze cause of the large screen size and it still lets you have freedom of movement when walking down a street. It's not nearly as comfortable pulling out a laptop and walking with it.

The speed of the apps makes me not miss multitasking cause no time is wasted opening and closing apps. When I use my ipad and pre side by side, it makes webos seem crippled due to it's lagginess and lack of specialized apps. I won't give it up just yet though, but I really don't use my pre nearly as much anymore except to call, text and tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVTech View Post
    Even with WebOS I'm not understanding what a device of this type really fills other than WOW COOL! OK now what?
    I sometimes use mine to browse the web while I wait for my netbook to finish starting up.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast