1.    #1  
    WSJ, engadget and others are reporting that the next IPhone will have 3rd party multi-tasking enabled. Other upgrades...A4-class SoC, a 960 x 640 display, a front-facing camera.

3rd party multi tasking enabled... anyone else think that could take a lot of the wind out of Palms sails?

I think there are a lot of reasons NOT to go to an IPhone (touchscreen only, can't replace battery, Apple dictatorial control...) but good multi-tasking was the one glaring thing that most anyone could agree made Palm better.

Will Apple be able to do GOOD multi-tasking?

I am really hoping Palm has some sweet surprises this summer.
    From what I've heard some jail breaking multi-tasking still only allowed six apps open. But I do think this could be a hinder on palms side.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    well, i honestly think that is a long time from now. I am happy to enjoy my multi tasking now
    im hoping that apple infringes on palm's patent's for multitasking... Maybe it'll boost earnings
    I honestly have seen this mentioned on about a thousand sites and in a million tweets. I come to the Pre forum of PreCentral to hear and talk about the Pre, not the iPhone. That's why there's a cross-platform forum where talk about the next fricking iPhone should be posted.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    And what does this have to do with the Pre? I mean, there's a cross-platform chat section and other handhelds section for a reason... not to mention that there's already a thread there discussing this.
    Well, Palm must know that Apple isn't gonna sit around sucking their thumb, so I am just hoping that they have some serious hardware coming our way. If they show up with something that almost has those specs at the next CES and bring it out the following summer, then they're screwed! I sure hope that this is not the time line Palm has in mind!

But, in the end, all this competition has one big winner, and that's us, the consumer! Now I just wish that every phone would come out on every carrier, but hell will freeze over before that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And what does this have to do with the Pre? I mean, there's a cross-platform chat section and other handhelds section for a reason... not to mention that there's already a thread there discussing this.
    We're lazy, we stick around in the Pre forum because it's too much work to go to another one! It's too hard to check all the newest posts in more than one forum! lol
    All speculation. Definitely should have gone in cross-platform chat, just like the other convo going on there right now.
    without the card system, it still won't be true multitasking. I thought of a similar situation this morning. When I get into work, there are a handful or so of programs that I open up immediately because I know i'm going to use them through out the day. They are on my task bar ready to be opened at any time. There is no point in closing them because I would just have to reopen the program and wait. The iphone with multitasking would be like if I opened my email on my computer, read my emails, closed email. then opened the excel spreadsheet I was working on, worked on it, saved it, closed it. Then opened some other program, etc. you get the idea.

This is all very obvious, but the point is, on an iphone, if you close a third party app, and reopen it to the same point it was before you closed it, it's still not multitasking...in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    honestly, i think palm needs to not worry so much about iphone, and go after the larger market, blackberry. They suffer from a crappy OS, and I feel if they tap that market (which are basically iPhone haters possibly), then they have a better shot at surviving. the iPhone is not as hot as Blackberry when it comes to market share. Pre needs an HD webos that is a messaging genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    We're lazy, we stick around in the Pre forum because it's too much work to go to another one! It's too hard to check all the newest posts in more than one forum! lol
    There is this fancy button right at the top labeled "New Posts" that <shocker> displays all new posts.