Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For whatever it's worth Engadget quotes the Wall street Journal article and its own sources and is reporting New Iphones to be announced on June 22.

Two New IPhones Coming; One May Be Aimed at Verizon - WSJ.com

WSJ: Apple 'developing new iPhone,' plus another for Verizon (update: iPhone HD, front-facing camera?) -- Engadget

not much on details or facts but some things stated by engadget were:
    • name would be iPhone HD
    • A4-class SoC, a 960 x 640 display,
    • front-facing camera
    • iPhone OS 4.0
    • third-party multitasking.
    • GSM iPhone is being made by Taiwanese contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which produced Apple's previous iPhones.
    • CDMA iPhone model is being made by Pegatron Technology Corp.

they also don't rule out a 4G or a CDMA version on sprint which would spell direct competition for Palm in addition to the upcoming EVO or a CDMA version on Verizon.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/29/2010 at 08:41 PM.
    4G CDMA? CDMA is 3G, WiMax/LTE are 4G. If the new iPhone is going 4G, it is reasonable to assume sprint as the carrier, since they are the only ones with an actual 4G network, whereas Verizon is deploying theirs later in the year for data cards and such (no handsets for another year or two).

That display resolution is interesting and makes sense. They could easily pixel double for current apps to remain compatible. However, that is quite a high resolution for a handheld device of that size, but you never know.

Palm better be coming out with something at least on par with the next iphone, hardware wise, if they want to stay in the game. Evo 4G type specs for Palms next phone would be ideal, but I think that's an unrealistic expectation.
    I have to say, I still doubt that a CDMA iPhone will go to Verizon. As alluded to above, I think it's way more likely that early 2011 they'll release an LTE iPhone.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they'd do anything differently for one carrier, as opposed to the hundreds worldwide they have GSM with, it's not their m.o.

And I agree entirely with the above post that the display resolution is interesting. My first response was 960x640, no way, but on second thought it makes a ton of sense since they can rescale current apps with just a simple pixel doubling.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    4G CDMA? CDMA is 3G, WiMax/LTE are 4G.
    sorry if i said something technically wrong. i don't follow those sorts of technical things. i've added and "or" to the sentence. so it reads 4G or CDMA. hope that suffices.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have to say, I still doubt that a CDMA iPhone will go to Verizon.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they'd do anything differently for one carrier, as opposed to the hundreds worldwide they have GSM with, it's not their m.o.
    i have my own doubts about let's just say certain things in the articles. I have some sources of my own that contradict some of the things said. They have no reason to lie to me but i'm still skeptical. I guess we'll see who is right in due time.

But the logic of a CDMA is as follows. With only one carrier iphones are Apple has to think up different ways to grow market share and as one of the articles mentions (i think) an iphone on Verizon would likely double the IPhone U.S. user base. Iphone is still their cash cow and it's hard to satisfy investors that want continued growth without coming out with new ideas. Obviously the ipad is one. But, considering a lot of people just need a laptop for email and websurfing and maybe watching movies, they don't all need the latest greatest laptop. All computer sales have been rough the past couple of years. I think for a couple quarters it was reported that iphone sales had begun to eat away at ipod sales as people decided on one or the other. So i think the logic is, ishort of just waiting for everyone to adopt a smartphone, you go after more current low hanging fruit on other carriers.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/29/2010 at 08:52 PM.
    still won't get it,regardless!!!
    oh I hate when they do this... Now it's evo vs iphone
    Apple will launch on other carriers. Thats a fact. Its too much $$$ being wasted to not do so. I wonder if Apple would really have differant models on each carrier.... HD exclusive to ATT, 3gs on verizon ect... Thats not apples MO. That does not compute. I kinda expect it to drop at the same time. Wake up one morning to see the IPHONE available on every carrier..... The world one sounds interesting.... what if every Iphone had a GSM/CDMA LTE/Wimax Radio in it.....kinda makes you go hummm...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    thats the day before my birthday =)
    i feel like I'm more excited about that than the iPhone...
    If you are SUPER NICE and like to help learning devs, click below =)

Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    what if every Iphone had a GSM/CDMA LTE/Wimax Radio in it.....kinda makes you go hummm...
    Why would they bother with Sprint and WiMax? If 99% of the other carriers worldwide are going to LTE, there's no point in WiMax.

... Then again, all of the LTE carriers are using different frequencies in different countries, so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    oh I hate when they do this... Now it's evo vs iphone
    It's always been iphone vs android :/

I love it! Better and better tech all the time!

Sad for palm though. Hope for the best. (china?)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BronTron View Post
    thats the day before my birthday =)
    i feel like I'm more excited about that than the iPhone...
    well yeah! You may get free drinks cause it's your birthday. There's no free liquor and "iphone day."
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Why would they bother with Sprint and WiMax? If 99% of the other carriers worldwide are going to LTE, there's no point in WiMax.

... Then again, all of the LTE carriers are using different frequencies in different countries, so who knows.
    Good point, but I think that sprint is gonna do the "software" upgrade, Hesse says it will take to turn wimax into lte at somepoint... I do think its a bit more than a firmware update to do so, but he seems to think its easy peasy.....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's always been iphone vs android :/

I love it! Better and better tech all the time!

Sad for palm though. Hope for the best. (china?)
    Sad for everyone that doesn't get the fact that webOS kills both of their operating systems.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  14.    #14  
    i don't think they'll be sad since they won't get that "fact."
    Apple will launch on other carriers.
    Also, meant to mention. I entirely expect other carriers. I just don't expect that until the LTE version in a year or so.
    Good point, but I think that sprint is gonna do the "software" upgrade, Hesse says it will take to turn wimax into lte at somepoint... I do think its a bit more than a firmware update to do so, but he seems to think its easy peasy.....
    I think the LTE switch maybe flapped January, 2012. Here's the reasons why (I posted this on another site).

Here's an interesting article from IntoMobile about Clearwire and LTE.

Clearwire asks 3GPP to make TD-LTE on 2.6 GHz a standard; WiMAX in the USA to die in 2011?

Here's a link that explans why Clearwire and Sprint is saying that they can switch from WiMax to LTE. The article is not about Clearwire and Sprint directly - it's about the difference between FDD-LTE and TD-LTE and why it is easier to switch from WiMax to TD-LTE. Reading the article it seems that the LTE chipset can support both FDD-LTE and TD-LTE. It's a real good article.

TD-LTE: The most powerful weapon in the LTE arsenal against WiMAX

Edit: Based on these articles, I think Sprint's plan has always been to go LTE, but they wanted 4G as quick as possible. They found there solution in WiMax to TD-LTE.
    What do they mean:
    "third-party multitasking"?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    What do they mean:
    "third-party multitasking"?
    not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    not sure.
    Believe it or not, the iPhone does multitask, but it's limited to Apple's own applications. You can, for example, play music while using Safari or reading mail. The next iPhone will open multitasking to developers. Which means the iPhone will finally have full multitasking. It's been rumored that switching between running apps will borrow from a Mac OS X feature called Exposť. Double-click the home button and icons representing the running apps appear. Select one and it comes to the front. If you have access to a Mac hit the f9 through f11 keys to see it in action. Really cool stuff. This not good for the Pre or Android phones. Apple is slowly picking off the competition feature by feature and if the iPhone goes to Verizon, the competition is in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by darktanone View Post
    Believe it or not, the iPhone does multitask, but it's limited to Apple's own applications. You can, for example, play music while using Safari or reading mail. The next iPhone will open multitasking to developers. Which means the iPhone will finally have full multitasking. It's been rumored that switching between running apps will borrow from a Mac OS X feature called Exposť. Double-click the home button and icons representing the running apps appear. Select one and it comes to the front. If you have access to a Mac hit the f9 through f11 keys to see it in action. Really cool stuff. This not good for the Pre or Android phones. Apple is slowly picking off the competition feature by feature and if the iPhone goes to Verizon, the competition is in trouble.
    Gee, that sounds exactly like how Android phones already do it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast