Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    rumors are iphone will be goin to all carriers, so this year the nexus will be out for all carriers, if iphone rumors true two very competitive phones will be on all the carriers, n palm has to compete against these phones. Really tough to get a palm phone wit high selection of the same phone
    Let me guess...you were typing from a Palm Pre? But yes, Palm will fall hard once the new iPhone HD with a rumored front facing camera and multitasking is released. It will fall even lower if Apple decides to make CDMA versions out of it. Palm doesn't have a chance if they think they can ride the current hardware into Q4. Front facing camera, 1gz, WiMax, LTE, iPhone HD, EVO4G, Windows Phone 7, etc. All of these will be readily available soon and if Palm wants to make it past 2010 they need a strategy involving top of the line hardware.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Think about it. Palm has a grip of developers that have so far done very little but bug-fix the Pre and Pixi. The improvements since launch have been minimal. Think this is because they are lazy or inefficient? No. They are working HARD on a next-gen device. The hardware engineers haven't done anything (save add memory) in almost a year. The software engineers have done very little. We will be getting a new palm device this year and with a (nearly) mature OS it's going to be stellar.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Let me guess...you were typing from a Palm Pre? But yes, Palm will fall hard once the new iPhone HD with a rumored front facing camera and multitasking is released. It will fall even lower if Apple decides to make CDMA versions out of it. Palm doesn't have a chance if they think they can ride the current hardware into Q4. Front facing camera, 1gz, WiMax, LTE, iPhone HD, EVO4G, Windows Phone 7, etc. All of these will be readily available soon and if Palm wants to make it past 2010 they need a strategy involving top of the line hardware.
    As I've said before Sprint may be getting that new Iphone later in the year with wimax (gee so will the evo4G). All i'll say is PALM better have something spectacular. Otherwise it may be stick a fork in them.
    If you need the info on the iPhone.

WSJ: Apple 'developing new iPhone,' plus another for Verizon (update: iPhone HD, front-facing camera?) -- Engadget

In my mind, if VZW does actually get a version of the new iPhone then Palm has officially lost its battle. The iPhone carries too much name recognition and has a massive amount of loyal users. People's biggest gripe against the iPhone is AT&T. Replace that with VZW and now you have a killer combo. People will defect from AT&T to get their new VZW iPhone and I doubt they will look at the Pre or even the new hardware from Palm.

If the info in the engadget article is correct, then iPhone OS 4.0 will include 3rd party multitasking, which is further a kiss of death for WebOS. Now, I don't think there will be completely open multitasking like on WebOS or Android, or else we probably would have seen it on the iPad. However, I think Apple will have special partners that they include in "privileged" multitasking. I would bet Pandora, Slacker, Rhapsody and their Nav programs are at the top of the list.

All in all, this is bad news for WebOS and Palm.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    That better be the case. Palm needs to release new devices soon, as the end of the year will be tough with a new iphone, win pho7, evo4, and i'm not sure how well palm will be able to compete with that on their limited budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    If you need the info on the iPhone.

WSJ: Apple 'developing new iPhone,' plus another for Verizon (update: iPhone HD, front-facing camera?) -- Engadget

In my mind, if VZW does actually get a version of the new iPhone then Palm has officially lost its battle. The iPhone carries too much name recognition and has a massive amount of loyal users. People's biggest gripe against the iPhone is AT&T. Replace that with VZW and now you have a killer combo. People will defect from AT&T to get their new VZW iPhone and I doubt they will look at the Pre or even the new hardware from Palm.

If the info in the engadget article is correct, then iPhone OS 4.0 will include 3rd party multitasking, which is further a kiss of death for WebOS. Now, I don't think there will be completely open multitasking like on WebOS or Android, or else we probably would have seen it on the iPad. However, I think Apple will have special partners that they include in "privileged" multitasking. I would bet Pandora, Slacker, Rhapsody and their Nav programs are at the top of the list.

All in all, this is bad news for WebOS and Palm.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Palm can't play that, Oh lets wait and launch our device right before the day the iPhone does, it won't work. If the iPhone HD does come to any other carrier, its lights out for Palm. The only way I see them surviving this future onslaught is if they give us a phone that is light years in the future. Front facing camera, OLED, voice control, larger screen, metal casing, thinner than an iPod Touch, a Tegra 2 processor, better google maps, better mail, better music, more and more apps, some type of facial recognition gestures!!, just plain beautiful to look at. If they do this, put it in a really amazing ad maybe 3-4 months before the iPhone, Evo 4g, Win7, and somehow manage to start selling limited quantities once summer hits, I see them lifting off. If they miss that opportunity, they lose a large amount of customers for roughly 2-3 years because of contracts.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    a Tegra 2 processor...
    Is the nVIDIA Tegra 2 processor available for production right now? It looks as impressive (or more so) than the TI OMAP 4.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Is the nVIDIA Tegra 2 processor available for production right now? It looks as impressive (or more so) than the TI OMAP 4.
    I'm not sure but that's why Palm needs to lock onto it by any means necessary to have a lead in the industry, bribes, robbery, cons, whatever will land them top of the line hardware. Its time to get dirty. Sue some people, make some money. With all of their patents I'm sure they can walk away with a couple billion.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I'm not sure but that's why Palm needs to lock onto it by any means necessary to have a lead in the industry, bribes, robbery, cons, whatever will land them top of the line hardware. Its time to get dirty. Sue some people, make some money. With all of their patents I'm sure they can walk away with a couple billion.
    Palm doesn't need to dedicate the few resources it does have to suing companies with much more resources. Thats a loss for Palm.
  10.    #30  
    I agree wholeheartedly. Palm can't play that, Oh lets wait and launch our device right before the day the iPhone does, it won't work. If the iPhone HD does come to any other carrier, its lights out for Palm. The only way I see them surviving this future onslaught is if they give us a phone that is light years in the future. Front facing camera, OLED, voice control, larger screen, metal casing, thinner than an iPod Touch, a Tegra 2 processor, better google maps, better mail, better music, more and more apps, some type of facial recognition gestures!!, just plain beautiful to look at. If they do this, put it in a really amazing ad maybe 3-4 months before the iPhone, Evo 4g, Win7, and somehow manage to start selling limited quantities once summer hits, I see them lifting off. If they miss that opportunity, they lose a large amount of customers for roughly 2-3 years because of contracts.
    Other than your screen name...lol I like your posts and you are on point with my thoughts above. Like many here, I see sooo much potential and love webOS but I fear the worst if Palm dont start a campaign on whats to come in an attempt to suck up some of the new phone/os oxygen....
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Palm doesn't need to dedicate the few resources it does have to suing companies with much more resources. Thats a loss for Palm.
    Well they need to do something. Funds are down, stocks are down, WebOS use is down. We are seeing a Palm OS meltdown all over again. Once people start making other OSes their home it will be much harder to win them over. There is a small window to lock in new customers before the onslaught. WinPhone7 is coming and they are putting out an OS geared for the future, Netflix streaming, Xbox games, allowing third party manufacturers. Ultimately it will diminish WebOS even more than it already is.

Palm made a great OS, sell that OS to manufacturers like HTC. Once stocks rise, they can go back to making the hardware again if that's what they really want. Apple can do it because they have the funds, base, and more. Palm has nothing going except for patents and WebOS. They need to get it onto as many devices as possible the same way Android is flooding the market leaving no choice for consumers but Android.
  12.    #32  
    Well they need to do something. Funds are down, stocks are down, WebOS use is down. We are seeing a Palm OS meltdown all over again. Once people start making other OSes their home it will be much harder to win them over. There is a small window to lock in new customers before the onslaught. WinPhone7 is coming and they are putting out an OS geared for the future, Netflix streaming, Xbox games, allowing third party manufacturers. Ultimately it will diminish WebOS even more than it already is.

Palm made a great OS, sell that OS to manufacturers like HTC. Once stocks rise, they can go back to making the hardware again if that's what they really want. Apple can do it because they have the funds, base, and more. Palm has nothing going except for patents and WebOS. They need to get it onto as many devices as possible the same way Android is flooding the market leaving no choice for consumers but Android.
    Dude, you make too much common sense on this topic, how in the heck can you have such a my way or the highway for a screen name.....
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Dude, you make too much common sense on this topic, how in the heck can you have such a my way or the highway for a screen name.....
    lol. The user name was thought up back when Obama was running for office and while he was in office. It really just means, stop placing Bushes F-Ups on Barack, stop attacking Obama on a level that wasn't equally carried out when the Cowboy was having fun, and just like Obama. That's it. I don't keep up with political news anymore right now because its just not entertaining as of lately.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The technical side of it isn't as important as the launch date - if Palm launches at the same time or slightly after - it's over, simply because it will get no coverage as the iphone marketing machine goes into overtime - it has to beat the Iphone HD (or whatever it's called) to the Market to get any attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The technical side of it isn't as important as the launch date - if Palm launches at the same time or slightly after - it's over, simply because it will get no coverage as the iphone marketing machine goes into overtime - it has to beat the Iphone HD (or whatever it's called) to the Market to get any attention.
    Agree, a good launch date would be right before summer after kids are out of school, and college students are back home. If Palm can succeed in getting a good strong device into the consumers hands early either by great ads, better sales associates at kiosks, Sprint and Verizon stores, they can do a lot better. Jon Rub actually just needs to get out there and go door to door with the new hardware explaining and showing what this device can do. College campuses, raffle drawings, Palm Ice Cream trucks, the works. Engadget and others would love him, give him all the free press he wants and needs and it would really spark a chord with the consumer.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Jon Rub actually just needs to get out there and go door to door with the new hardware explaining and showing what this device can do. College campuses, raffle drawings, Palm Ice Cream trucks, the works. Engadget and others would love him, give him all the free press he wants and needs and it would really spark a chord with the consumer.
    He could be the Papa John (Jon) of Cell Phones
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    The OS is great, but to be honest, its not that great where other companies would pay to license it when Android is free (and hella customizable) or you could go the Windows Phone route. The only real differentiating factor for WebOS is the killer multitasking implementation. There are still key features missing from WebOS that completely kill the desire to license it....if I were a handset manufacturer anyway.
    I see WebOS being cannibalized and having its features incorporated into other OS's really.

I mean the things that define WebOS in my mind are synergy, the card system for multitasking and gestures. If HTC bought Palm and took synergy and the cards and put them into their Sense UI, I would be very happy.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    He could be the Papa John (Jon) of Cell Phones
    Lol. He could drive around in a Camero making the UPS deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    The OS is great, but to be honest, its not that great where other companies would pay to license it when Android is free (and hella customizable) or you could go the Windows Phone route. The only real differentiating factor for WebOS is the killer multitasking implementation. There are still key features missing from WebOS that completely kill the desire to license it....if I were a handset manufacturer anyway.
    That's where Palm's patents can come to play. Maybe give HTC one of them for the development.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I see WebOS being cannibalized and having its features incorporated into other OS's really.

I mean the things that define WebOS in my mind are synergy, the card system for multitasking and gestures. If HTC bought Palm and took synergy and the cards and put them into their Sense UI, I would be very happy.
    Well a trade could be made for the use of the card system with HTC. Give them the option to use cards while at the same time get HTC to make their devices.
    but how does that make palm any money? All it does is make HTC's android phones sell better.

If palm would open up the app cat to pdk submissions and put out nice hardward, that might do it, but they can't give up any advantage right now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast