View Poll Results: Would you upgrade from your Pre to a 4G HTC EVO?

Voters
479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

199 41.54%
  • No

139 29.02%
  • I'd have to check it out first

141 29.44%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    that's old news but a good read, the android market at this point and the better software on the phones are killing the palm right now .. Case in point, the camera with auto focus being able to barcode scan, upcoming 2.1 with google goggles, shazam etc... This all from playing with my gfs moment which I really like, but I type this response off of my pre lol
    I thought I'd never go away from WebOS, but here's my take on it.

The things I am tired off:
    1. Too many cards error: Seriously? There's nothing like driving around in my car and having the Pre tell me that there are too many cards open when there isn't a single one open. All just because I played one of the 3d games prior to that and read a bunch of news on NewsRoom. Epic fail!
    2. We are getting more apps, but!: What kinda apps are we getting? Same stuff over and over again, bible readers, conversion tools, "books that count as an app" apps, games that either need a restart to be played, or games that jerk and pause and take the fun out of playing, or are just plain *** ugly.

Those are the major things that get me disenchanted with my Pre.

As long as there's bad news about Palm, developers will start shying away from it more and more and just focus on Android and iPhone, so in the end, while we may see more and more apps, they won't come fast enough, and they probably won't be the best quality ones either. Netflix announced streaming support for all 3 platforms except webOS.

Will we get a super duper Palm device this summer? C40 rumors are floating around, people heard Sprint employees discourage customers from buying a Pre because another webos device is coming, but if you step back and look at the bigger picture, does it all fit together, does it make sense?

1. AT&T is getting the Pre Plus shortly, if Palm had a killer device coming, wouldn't they want to give it to AT&T first to fight the iPhone and have a bigger potential subscriber base?
    2. Since AT&T is still getting the Pre, why would Palm launch a better webos device on Sprint, because that would most likely kill any potential sales of the Pre and Pixi Plus on AT&T
    3. Sprints newest top line phone is obviously the Evo which is being hyped big time already, do you think Palm has room or time to wait to announce their new super phone and have it go head to head with the Evo? Even if they do make a phone that's comparable hardware wise to the Evo, people will look at the greater number of Apps available as they have been doing all along and probably pick the Evo.

What can save Palm? Who knows! Its a viscious cycle of good promotion, bad marketing, bad timing, bad hardware, and too many other problems that cast a dark shadow on webos. Eventhough most reviewers like webos, all the other problems around it just put it in a bad public eye.

Sorry for the wall of text...but that's my take on it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Yes, I'll miss those gestures, but will keep the Pre as a backup.

I would love a 4G webOS phone on similar hardware, but I've played with the Hero enough to know I'll love the EVO.
    Last edited by godisgov; 04/20/2010 at 07:23 PM.
    All depends on Palm. If they step up with a larger & faster device before my contract runs out, I'll stick with'em, if not I'm definitely switching.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Will we get a super duper Palm device this summer? C40 rumors are floating around, people heard Sprint employees discourage customers from buying a Pre because another webos device is coming, but if you step back and look at the bigger picture, does it all fit together, does it make sense?

1. AT&T is getting the Pre Plus shortly, if Palm had a killer device coming, wouldn't they want to give it to AT&T first to fight the iPhone and have a bigger potential subscriber base?
    2. Since AT&T is still getting the Pre, why would Palm launch a better webos device on Sprint, because that would most likely kill any potential sales of the Pre and Pixi Plus on AT&T
    3. Sprints newest top line phone is obviously the Evo which is being hyped big time already, do you think Palm has room or time to wait to announce their new super phone and have it go head to head with the Evo? Even if they do make a phone that's comparable hardware wise to the Evo, people will look at the greater number of Apps available as they have been doing all along and probably pick the Evo.

What can save Palm? Who knows! Its a viscious cycle of good promotion, bad marketing, bad timing, bad hardware, and too many other problems that cast a dark shadow on webos. Eventhough most reviewers like webos, all the other problems around it just put it in a bad public eye.

Sorry for the wall of text...but that's my take on it.
    A new Palm device could still be coming.

1. Don't let the fact that AT&T is getting the Pre deter you from thinking another device is coming. Like I said in another thread, it's normal for AT&T to be the last on the block these days, except for the iPhone. AT&T would also take forever to release the new Palm device. They're still banking on the iPhone(although that's now going to be dumb since US exclusivity is ending). They also want to see how far they can butcher it.

2. Palm always releases things first to Sprint it seems. It's not always good business but Palm doesn't seem to get that. And since AT&T is GSM, there will still be buyers for the Pre if they travel and can get it unlocked.

The real drawback with AT&T is other phones stealing the spotlight. Even the Backflip, which did badly on tech sites reviews, is still selling to the mainstream.

3. Palm went head to head with iPhone 3GS too and we see how that went in the end. They may not have learned, lol. They really don't time or promote releases too well(the Droid excuse). I suspect the Evo's anticipation may not stop them from releasing anything too close to it.

However I agree with the general view in your post. Palm shoots itself in the foot too many times. Even if they release a new device, if they don't handle this one correctly, the same path the Pre went down is imminent. Their biggest mistake IMO was not creating any serious hype or buzz outside of the techie world, for the Pre.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Seems as if the more time passes the more praises the EVO seems to be getting from not only us consumers but web publications/sites as well ....
    Still haven't heard much though in the way of NYC and time frame of when 4G
    will arrive

I have a feeling this phone maybe the big flagship Sprint has been waiting for and this time around you can probably expect more people on line (than the pre and its 3 people me one of them last summer )...This could be as big as the ipad hype if you think about it since this phone outdoes anything on the market 5 fold ...

I for one can't wait, the tech goodness in that device is just to much for me to contain myself, hopefully it all comes together nicely w/o any major bugs,
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

I think it will also likely be a bit expensive by US standards. That may hold some people off. $250-$300 on contract is what I think. Although that's just speculation on my part. I'm looking at the specs and thinking there's no way they'd go below that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    had a HTC before, I will stick with the pre
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I love htc, but with the annoucements of the mic being able to be used I think that I will stick with webos. I can't wait for the voice enabled apps and things like shazaam finally hitting webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I love htc, but with the annoucements of the mic being able to be used I think that I will stick with webos. I can't wait for the voice enabled apps and things like shazaam finally hitting webos.
    That supposedly won't be until Fall, unless Palm comes out with an Evo (and everything else) Slayer, it might just be too little too late.

We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think it will also likely be a bit expensive by US standards. That may hold some people off. $250-$300 on contract is what I think. Although that's just speculation on my part. I'm looking at the specs and thinking there's no way they'd go below that.
    Considering that the Droid Incredible is $199 on contract, I don't think the Evo is going to be any higher than $250. It honestly doesn't have that much different hardware.

4.3" TFT vs 3.7 AMOLED
    1.3MP Front camera vs 8 GB built in storage
    1500 mAh battery vs 1300 mAh battery

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint prices it at $199, also since that should be what the iPhone will be priced at as well.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    $200(likely with a dumb rebate though) would be great! That would put another nail in Palm's coffin though.

They're already bargain basement at Verizon and there's a post that the Sprint Pixi is now $0. And AT&T needs to be careful not to go too high, looking at other carriers. People won't buy Palm if it's way more than other carriers.

I agree as well, to little to late for palm, and since my GF just got the moment been able to play with shazam, barcode scanner, camerafx which is pretty cool and many widgets at my disposal all while my Pre is starting to feel very dated and finally starting to show signs of bugs (number one on the on screen keypad sometimes not registering, phone freezing abit more now, restarts take FOREVER, checkerboard reload, some sites now dont register touch to zoom anymore since 1.4.1.1 lack of usuable and make sense apps etc. etc. )

Even with a mic, don't think it will do Palm much justice which sucks but what can you do, and im not a huge htc fan (ever since my run in with about 4 orginal htc touches back in the day, what phone ever purchased) but with the specs the EVO has, im ready to buy in, and hoping it wont be more then 299
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

No gesture area, no real keyboard, clunky OS, very limited 4G, and way to big, so no thanks, very happy with my launch day Pre, will definitely stick with my Pre until the next Palm product is released.
    Every carrier has some flagship device that would overshadow a new Palm device. I honestly am most excited lately about Windows 7 but probably can't wait til December. The next few months are gon be interesting!
    No (answered the poll) and for several reasons...

1) The Evo is basically the same as the Windows 7 Mobile device that is running on T-Mobile. It's the same exact phone, but with Android, so I've played with the phone. It's somewhere between 10 and 20% larger than an i-Phone. So, the gain in processor speed and screen real estate doesn't make up for the huge size against my head or the lack of pocket-ability.

2) I live in Baltimore, MD, which is actually the first 4G city and was one of the first 3G/EVDO cities, if not THE first again. I spend half my time switching between EVDO and 1xRT. If I can't hold a 3G signal in a city that helped launch 3G, how in the world will I hold a 4G signal? I also have associates who have the 4G cards for their laptops, who say they can never get a 4G signal.

I'll wait. The Pre was the first phone I got excited about since the Treo 650 came out. Evo's cool, but I think a lot of its features will be negated by its size and inability to achieve a 4G connection.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    I haven't had a too many cards problem for a while now. I owe it all to a little maintenance with jstop.
    Check out noagendashow.com assassinating lamestream media!
    Yes I'm switching. Tired of the crappy build quality of the Pre. And for those out there that want to say they still have the Pre from June 6th, 2009, spare me your self-righteousness. You are the minority!
    I a, enjoying all the widgets and lack of needing to go into all my applications when they are all on the screen already (this is from constantly playing with the gfs moment)

yes I know we can keep cards open etc but I like the homescreens so I can see multiple apps, widgets at once it's very convienent and the future of mobile phones
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechalex View Post
    I haven't had a too many cards problem for a while now. I owe it all to a little maintenance with jstop.
    See, that's the problem. Us Precentral members are well informed and know the duct tape and zip tie fixes to keep webos together, but the average soccer mom and creepy girl that Palm was targeting won't have a clue and doesn't know what jstop is.

It's a phone for most people, not a hobby.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast