View Poll Results: Would you upgrade from your Pre to a 4G HTC EVO?

Voters
479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

199 41.54%
  • No

139 29.02%
  • I'd have to check it out first

141 29.44%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    it's too big for me... Once you go palm it's hard going to anything else.
    that whole sentence is full of "that's what she/he said" win
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I am concerned about the size, the same way I am concerned about the size of the Iphone. The only reason you really need that big screen are for Games (which are a placating waste of time) and surfing the web. Since I rarely search the web on my phone I wish someone would come out with an Iphone/Evo/next gen pre that is the size of the pixi.
    Interesting results
    not unless I can run webOS on the EVO....in other words NO! Android is **** by comparison. EVO is a hardware wet dream, sure. I just hope Palm can deliver a cutting edge phone (that's actually well built this time), because then there would be simply no reason to leave webOS.
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Other than 4G, it really isn't an upgrade.
    That....and:

- The faster processor
    - HD video
    - Front facing cam for easy skyping
    - Hotspot supporting 8 devices
    - Expandable memory
    - Higher resolution, bigger screen
    - Bigger battery
    - Compass
    - Voice Activated navigation
    - Assured support from two well-resourced companies that will be around for ages

Aside from all of that, pretty much a lateral move.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I wouldn't call it an upgrade either. Sure the hardware is impressive but I've used android and really it doesn't compare to webos. & while it gets slammed alot, I love the pre form factor with the physical keyboard & ease of single handed typing. I was up late last night fretting about what I would do if I didn't have palm anymore & I think I'd go back to a dumbphone & carry my laptop everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc25mc View Post
    I wouldn't call it an upgrade either. Sure the hardware is impressive but I've used android and really it doesn't compare to webos. & while it gets slammed alot, I love the pre form factor with the physical keyboard & ease of single handed typing. I was up late last night fretting about what I would do if I didn't have palm anymore & I think I'd go back to a dumbphone & carry my laptop everywhere.
    I'm going to pretend that you didn't say you were up late last night fretting about what you'd do without an inanimate object that is hardly unique, and simply ask:

Have you used Android 2.1? Because I think if people made their judgments about WebOS based off of 1.2 or 1.3.1, they would dismiss it much as people do Android around here.
    android sucks, plain and simple... I will go with a dumbphone and my laptop, before using that scam of an os
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'm happy with my Pre. And love the form-factor. I don't want to have to carry around a luggage cart to haul my phone around.
    No, I don't like Android and 4g capability isn't going to change that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Palm releases a 4g phone soon enough, although I'm VERY disappointed they didn't first. I thought that was pretty essential to get a step up on the market.
    Palm should've worked with HTC for their hardware. Whoever they went with was a HUGE mistake.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    No. Sounds like a downgrade to me as long as the EVO runs that train wreck Android OS.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    No thanks. It could have all the bells and whistles but at the end of the day, the phone is running Android.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    I love the specs and I do have 4g in my area but after trying out the hd2 for tmobile I might reconsider only because...believe it or not the screen and phone is too big. A little overkill with screen size. The phone was great and nice and fast but using it on a daily basis and having to find a way to carry it would become a headache. The big plus is the screen is so big that it makes typing on screen a breeze. I might reconsider if the price was right. I think I'm gonna wait for the nexus 1 instead for now. Whichever fits the budget will win in the end for me.

I do not think palm is going to be able to drop anything anytime soon that will compare to this phone spec wise. I know people have wishful thinking but the way things are going right now htc is going pretty heavy on android. Palm should have chosen them to make the pre to begin with. The pre is a great phone but htc is coming out with all the eye candy and unfortunetly that sells for a average consumer. Everyone wants the biggest and the best.
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 03/29/2010 at 11:06 PM.
    I wouldn't trade my Pixi for it. All specs aside, the software integration is the key to any device. The droid has major camera problems and exchange sync issues, just to name two recurring themes from users. The only thing that will get me to trade is a new webOS phone. I'm not what you'd call a power user, but I use the features important to me constantly. It's great to keep all those apps open and just glide through them as needed.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Andriod might as well be that candy you spit back out. It doesn't matter on how pretty the wrapper is on the outside. Its whats inside that matter. I like the hardware on the EVO, wish it had a keyboard & 4G is useless unless you live in an area that supports it. But I can almost guarantee you in 3 months. there will be a bigger, better & faster phone on the market. I find these types of threads annoying..Every time a new phone pops up on the market. Someone is wondering if your going to jump ship & starts comparing all the differences to the our phone. What do you expect? For the hardware to be worse than Palm? If your looking for an opinion from an I.T. professional. Nothing has come close to WebOs & thou I wish it had better hardware. I am very happy with my Pre.
    Interesting seeing everyone's different prospective...I too love webOS...but curious why do people so passionately hate android? whats SO bad about it? I would think its better than windows mobile right? lol I mean its not webOS but dang THAT BAD?

I can mostly adapt to anything but i HAVE TO have a physical keyboard and mores so that it be vertical like on the pre...and very few mentioned that...
    If an upgraded palm pre, or new palm phone, is going to come to Sprint, then I'll upgrade to that if anything. I like my pre, and it will be much less bulky than the EVO.
    However, if there are no major new palm phones in the next year, I may look at it.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    No, won't be eligible for it until September, and so I think I will wait for something with a Cortex A9 CPU. The 800mhz overclock basically makes the Pre as fast as Snapdragon anyway.

Besides, I don't know how to use a virtual keyboard, and I am also afraid of the whole fragmentation issue on Android. On Engadget today they were talking about how even the G1 doesn't support Android 2.x. At least the original iPhone has no problem running the latest version of the OS, and we can expect the same for our Pres.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast