1.    #1  
    Probably my favorite reviewer for tech devices.

Admittedly, an iPhone user, but, extremely objective.

In this video, he shows the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon prior to WebOS 1.4, facing off against the iPhone 3GS:

Judge for yourself, and then ask yourself 2 questions:

1. As positive as this was for the Palm Pre +, how much better would this have been with WebOS 1.4?
    2. And, add to the above, with the 800mhz upgrade on top of 1.4?

Here is his video review of the Verizon PalmPre + vs the Nexus 1 (same day as previous video). Again, NOT using WebOS 1.4:

While very complemntrary to the Pre +, he makes specific reference to powerful CPU of the Nexus 1 Snapdragon CPU, as the sole determinant for choosing the Nexus 1 over the Pre +.

Now, again, I ask the same 2 questions above:

1. What would his obsrvations have been with WebOS 1.4?
    2. And, add to the above, with the 800mhz upgrade on top of 1.4?

I believe that Palm has a unique opportunity here, to capitalize on thier existing technology with the current improvements available; think seriously about the two questions above, and then imagine what the rest of the world would say about a phone that is a year old "besting" the state of the art phones that have just been released?

Perhaps those of you who have upgraded your PRe or Pre+s to 1.4 + the 800 mhz overclocking could post video comparisons to YouTube and get the ball rolling?

Last edited by LCGuy; 03/28/2010 at 08:11 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

the 800 MHz kernel patch shouldn't be considered in any review. While it is really easy to install, it is more work than the average user would be willing to do. Also, there is a slight chance that the kernel patch will reduce the life of the hardware, which could create some ill will toward Palm from people who don't understand the risks. That said, it looks like a good review, thanks for posting it!
    Technobuffalo tries to use the phones as they are out of the box, so he doesn't jailbreak his iPhone.
  4.    #4  
    I agree that the kernal update *may* reduce the life of the Pre, but, if its already 1 year old, an you get 1 more year out of it at 800 mhz, thats a great experience for any user, as most change phones today about every 2 years.

Im waiting for the unlocked GSM Pre (or the next WebOS smartphone that is unlocked GSM), so I can't do this, but, we really do need those with the update to do some side by side youtube videos with the current crop of smartphones; maybe such videos deonstrating the improvements will look so good against the current state of the art devices that it will bring the Pre the positive attention it needs to help Palm.

Just at thought.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The phones should be reviewed stock as they are like a previous poster said. The average user is not going to homebrew their phone nor should they have to.

Great videos BTW.
    Last edited by r-nice; 03/28/2010 at 01:30 PM.
    I agree they should be reviewed as stock but should mention tweaks can be done if a user wanted to do at there own risk.
    the 800mhz video vs iphone 3gs is coming later today...
  8.    #8  
    Nimer;

That is terriffic... I bet its an incredibly amazing "wake-up" call for all.

Can you post it in a new thread, or at least post it in this thread?

I don't think tweaks should ever be done when doing a comparison for the general public. Yeah you can make the pre faster by using a patch, you can also do multitasking on the iPhone using a jailbreak. 90% of the general public will not go as far as trying to hack their phone in order to get more functionality out of it, they use it stock with apps from the app store. So any comparisons where the target is the general public, they should always be stock.
  10.    #10  
    Fernandez;

With all due respect to your opinion, I believe this is one case where you are wrong.

The Pre was UNDERCLOCKED originally, on its release, down to 500mhz from the 600mhz it was labelled at, by Palm. We don't know why, but, we can say this for sure: it was NOT advantageous to this phone, where multitasking is of the highest priority, and a HUGE selling point.

The patch likely violates the MFR warranty, but, if it is stable, who cares? Its like getting a next generation smartphone for free, performance-wise.

The videos tell the true story - this is what this OS was made for, so CPU horsepower (and RAM, of course) is vital to its performance.

Look, Apple's app store didnt come out for a whole year while everyone waited, and now, 4 years later, they have 150,000 apps, right?

WebOS is not even 1 year old, and there are already almost 2000 apps. Thats so much better than Apple did, but, does anyone give Palm the credit for accomplishing so much, so quickly? No.

In this case, this patch enables the device to perform as it NEEDS to for FREE.

'nuff said.

Fair is fair...
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/28/2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Fernandez;

With all due respect to your opinion, I believe this is one case where you are wrong.

The Pre was UNDERCLOCKED originally, on its release, down to 500mhz from the 600mhz it was labelled at, by Palm. We don't know why, but, we can say this for sure: it was NOT advantageous to this phone, where multitasking is of the highest priority, and a HUGE selling point.

The patch likely violates the MFR warranty, but, if it is stable, who cares? Its like getting a next generation smartphone for free, performance-wise.

The videos tell the true story - this is what this OS was made for, so CPU horsepower (and RAM, of course) is vital to its performance.

Look, Apple's app store didnt come out for a whole year while everyone waited, and now, 4 years later, they have 150,000 apps, right?

WebOS is not even 1 year old, and there are already almost 2000 apps. Thats so much better than Apple did, but, does anyone give Palm the credit for accomplishing so much, so quickly? No.

'nuff said.

Fair is fair...
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. If a publication is gonna do a review then it needs to be stock vs stock. Maybe they can mention modifications can be done, but that shouldn't be taken into account as most people won't make those mods and void their warrantee. And if underclocking was detrimental to the webos expierence, why did palm do it in the first place? And also wouldn't having a faster processor make any os expierence better?

I'm not saying people shouldn't do the patch nor should they not tell the world or that people should ignore the fact that you can when you are getting the device, it can really bring new life to old devices. But when a site like Cnet, engadget, or who ever does a review, it needs to he stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Would it then be acceptable to jailbreak the iPhone and install something like Backgrounder to nullify the Pre's multitasking advantage?