Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    well the iphone apps does appear faster than the pre's,but can it multitask like the pre's.Hell,no!! I would not even think about getting one. In my opinion I believe the os on the pre's are a lot better. What do you'll think?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    well the iphone apps does appear faster than the pre's,but can it multitask like the pre's.Hell,no!! I would not even think about getting one. In my opinion I believe the os on the pre's are a lot better. What do you'll think?
    The one that suits the needs of the individual user is best?
    Hmm, I wonder how most people on this forum will respond?
  4.    #4  
    I guess your right,but for me palmpre's all the way. ;-)
    Your asking on the pre boards, natural we will steer you to the pre. Ill say this, if you can get past the hardware Oreo Effect the pre will serve you well. Iv found it has almost no learning curve and I love being able to open a webpage from an email and being able to just multi task so easily.

I will also say seeing my friends jail broken ipod touch the hardware has amazing potential but requires so much more work to keep moded, I'm assuming this applys to the phone because they are the same. Palm hasn't done anything to slow us down in moding. Im running my pre at 800 now without problems and its FAST.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    Your asking on the pre boards, natural we will steer you to the pre. Ill say this, if you can get past the hardware Oreo Effect the pre will serve you well. Iv found it has almost no learning curve and I love being able to open a webpage from an email and being able to just multi task so easily.

I will also say seeing my friends jail broken ipod touch the hardware has amazing potential but requires so much more work to keep moded, I'm assuming this applys to the phone because they are the same. Palm hasn't done anything to slow us down in moding. Im running my pre at 800 now without problems and its FAST.

Thinking about it, this also depends where you are - in the UK, the Pre lacks high-profile apps (lovefilm, banking apps, Tescos) that would make it more appealing to the general public.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    For some folks the iPhone is going to be better because it suits their wants and needs. For others the Pre is going to be better because it suits their wants and needs. For me the Pre is the right phone. For a friend of mine, the iPhone is the right phone. For another, a Droid is the right phone. There is plenty of room in the smart phone market for lots of options.

Choice is good.

Trolling posts are bad.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 03/28/2010 at 08:06 AM.
    The iphone has a much more mature operating system, it's hardware is much more solid, and it does show. The pre has a form factor that I, personally, prefer, has an OS with, IMO, much more potential, and from the layout to the font, looks much more elegant. It's all up to the individual. If you want polish and don't need complete multi-tasking, you will be more than happy. If you like the ability to multi-task with any app, the possibilities of an open platform, and a physical keyboard, you will probably be more than happy with the pre.
    Hopefully the pre2 will make this debate much more fun with the iphone 46. Things are getting fun!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Pre.
    I used to agree with you, but now since my webpages refresh when I go back to them, and do not load in the background, I realize it is just to hard for any phone to really multi-task.

To many cards, web-pages not loading in the background, already loaded pages refreshing.

Kinda ruins the multi-tasking. I'd say the iphone is a better smartphone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    An OS is nothing but a means to navigate TO an app.

So while WebOS is prettier and more functional, the fact that iPhone OS offers thousands of apps (hundreds that are exclusive and USEFUL) then the iPhone would have the major advantage.

What good is multitasking when you don't have the apps you want? Mint. CNN. Photo editors. Street Fighter IV. Words w Friends. NPR. Digg. Good media player. Facebook. It's a maJor inconvenience to single task these things but it's better than nothing. That's why people who slam on it are more bitter than rational. It's all about the apps and less about the shiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    The iphone has a much more mature operating system, it's hardware is much more solid, and it does show. The pre has a form factor that I, personally, prefer, has an OS with, IMO, much more potential, and from the layout to the font, looks much more elegant. It's all up to the individual. If you want polish and don't need complete multi-tasking, you will be more than happy. If you like the ability to multi-task with any app, the possibilities of an open platform, and a physical keyboard, you will probably be more than happy with the pre.
    Hopefully the pre2 will make this debate much more fun with the iphone 46. Things are getting fun!
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    An OS is nothing but a means to navigate TO an app.

So while WebOS is prettier and more functional, the fact that iPhone OS offers thousands of apps (hundreds that are exclusive and USEFUL) then the iPhone would have the major advantage.
    Yeah, but WebOS does it better. The iPhone OS is just an app launcher. WebOS is more.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Yeah, but WebOS does it better. The iPhone OS is just an app launcher. WebOS is more.
    What exactly is "more"? Because That's the used car salesman way of explaining it.

"I need to buy a minivan for my family of 7."
    "Well here's a nice BMW sedan. It's got heated seats"
    "But we have a family of 7"
    "Driving a BMW offers you comfort you just can't get in a Honda Minivan".
    "Look at how cool you'll look"

Don't think i'm fanboying Apple here because I don't think any of the mobile OS's "have it all" yet. iPhone OS has the apps, but the OS is getting dated. WebOS has the OS but the apps are severely lacking. And android falls in between where the OS looks okay and the app catalog isn't horrible but it doesn't really stand out (to me).

So that's why I judge these things based purely on What I WANT to do. And right now I could care less about multitasking and cards because 90% of the apps I use daily are on the iPhone. So for me then the Pre is lttle more than a text-machine and a tethering device so I can use my disabled iPhone when I'm out. Oh, and Street Fighter IV rules.
    Last edited by Urkel; 03/28/2010 at 11:47 AM.
    two thingss that are critical to your decision:

iPhone = AT&T. 'nuff said.

try the pre first. Buy it, get the 800mhz patch from here. Use it for 2 weeks. If you aren't hooked for life, you an cancel and return (at least verizon does that).

this ting is addicting. You will have crummy battery life because you won't be able to put it down!!!!
    What exactly is "more"? Because That's the used car salesman way of explaining it.

as great as web os looks, if it doesn't have the apps you need then it doesn't do "more", it just looks prettier. Some people prefer looks, but some people view a phone as a tool and availability of apps beats out looking awesome.

Yah, and whats the point of coding in HTML? Its easier? More cost effective? What is that supposed to give the end user? Nothing... Its supposed to be easier, yet if its so easy and cost effective, why dont we have a ton of AMAZING apps?

The pre's "more" ends up being nothing, after the TMC error, page refreshes, etc.

At the end of the day the iphone is just better.
    to those that say there aren't enough apps... I have every app I need for my business use, and then some!

I find that te bases are covered wel.

If you have a family of 7, get a minivan. It depends on your needs. Always ignore the salesman.

So that's why I judge these things based purely on What I WANT to do. And right now I could care less about multitasking and cards because 90% of the apps I use daily are on the iPhone. So for me then the Pre is lttle more than a text-machine and a tethering device so I can use my disabled iPhone when I'm out. Oh, and Street Fighter IV rules.
    Well, for starters, the OS is not a list of icons. It handles real multitasking, notifications, etc. The Pre is just maturing-- it takes developers to get new apps out on the catalog, not Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    Yah, and whats the point of coding in HTML? Its easier? More cost effective? What is that supposed to give the end user? Nothing... Its supposed to be easier, yet if its so easy and cost effective, why dont we have a ton of AMAZING apps?

The pre's "more" ends up being nothing, after the TMC error, page refreshes, etc.

At the end of the day the iphone is just better.
    The iPhone, or the apps? If you had an iPhone or a Pre, no apps on either, which would you choose? HTML was the beginning of app development for the pre. You can now code in C and create great 3D games.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    The real meat of the coding is javascript. HTML is just the shell. The benefit is that its a widely used language and not that hard for interested parties to learn the Pre-specific nuances of developing if you already know the language.

Why don't we have a ton of apps? Well because a lot of authors see people in these pages whine that 1.99 is too much to spend on an app and they wonder if its worth their time and effort. Now I grant that some "apps" aren't worth ten cents, let alone 1.99 ("fart" apps, girlie wallpaper etc.). But there are some fine apps out there that are well worth their price and people need to be willing to pay the price in order to encourage developers to put in the time.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast