1.    #1  
    The question comes up over and over again: can you hotsync a Clie to Windows NT, without USB.

My answer always is, yes, I understand that you can with a Brando serial cable. However, I can't verify it personally -- I've only heard about it from people on various Clie/PDA boards.

Well, finally I can point people to a definitive source who can confirm this: Julie Strietelmeier over at The Gadgeteer have a review of the Brando Clie T-Series hotsync cable, and verifies that she can hotsync it with NT. (Also works mit der NR70.)

I can't imagine a more reliable source of information than Julie Strietelmeier when it comes to PDA info. Glad to have this link for the next time the question comes up.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I am hotsyncing a NR-70V to a Windows 95 machine using Brando's serial cable. It works - not great, but it works. I get a lot of sync errors, and it loses the connection periodically for no apparent reason.

It's not a problem with the cable itself of course, it's trying to make 2002 technology work with 1995 technology.

That said, it's serviceable and I love my NR-70.
    VTL! How'd you do that?

My Brando cable works great on my 615C. Today we tried to use it on a coworkers new NR70V with no luck. I can't make it sync. Tried playing with speeds using different com ports no luck.

Help!!!! Seriously any help would be greatly appreciated.

His Prism died CompUSA doesn't carry them anymore and so he upgraded to the NR70V I told him he may have to go to the 615C.

Travis
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
    Hmm. I'm not sure I have any magic remedy here. I installed the Sony software, and then just played with the com port settings (both in Hotsync manager and in the "properties" portion of device manager) until it worked.

Do you get a particular error message, or does it just not work at all?
    VTL,

When I plug in the cable the NR70V starts to beep. When I try and hot sync they both show they are trying to connect but don't.
    I played with ports & speeds. Then I tried this high tech fix.

1. Grab NR70V with left hand
    2. Grab brando cable connection with right hand
    3. Wiggle cable slowly back and forth until beeping stops.
    4. Set NR70V down
    5. Hit the hotsync button.

Worked like a charm!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Travis
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin