Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81
  1. #61  
    The world loves the Iphone because it just works. Most people are linear IE do one thing at a time. Yes we can all multitask but try it some time. After about 20-30min of that you say to heck with it. Now what they did right was make it dead simple to use, everything was smooth and fluid.

    As much I wanted to enjoy the Pre. I'm a lil tired of beta no wait alpha tester for Palm. If a 4G Iphone comes to Sprint this year I might just jump. Right now the 3 phones i'll be looking at are HTC Evo4G, 4G Iphone or Palm WebOS next phone (that one better be good but at this point not counting on it).
  2. #62  
    following the masses... most people who buy an iphone have an "ooh, shiny!" moment and don't know any better.
  3. #63  
    Because it's like a wildfire. People without one see all the cool things that their friends can do with theirs; but most importantly it is the flagship mobile device - it is always the first (and in some cases the only device) to receive a mobile app. It's this specifically that drives people to want one: applications.
  4. #64  
    McDonalds, Walmart and Toyotas are selling billions, look at their products, enough said.
  5. SDash's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #65  
    It's something that the people want. With the iPod generation wanting something new, the iPhone filled the spot very well.

    While I was choosing what phone to get, I didn't want to ask if the Apps would fit my needs, I asked if the phone would fit my needs, and then the Pre popped up with webOS. Luckily I was stuck with Sprint and couldn't get the iPhone too lol
  6. #66  
    It's a cross between marketing and timing. The Pre is a better device, hands down. But at the time the iPhone came out, it was one of a kind. There hadn't really been anything like it on a large scale. Since then, it's been all about the marketing. I HATE Apple, but their marketing is second to none. Those fools could sell icemakers to Eskimos.
    Palm HAS to step up their marketing game, or they'll never be a real player. They've got the best product, they've just got to make people aware of it.
    At least Verizon is finally stepping up and finally really pushing the Pre Plus. That's a good thing for all Pre users, original and Plus alike.
    The Saint
  7. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #67  
    Sony had decent marketing too, but that did not help them get BETA to win over VHS. There are many complicated factors beyond a good product and marketing. I'm getting tired of hearing the poor marketing excuse. I think that timing is a much bigger factor -- that also includes the timing of the iPhone, iPhone 3G and Droid.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Here is our chance to help the Pre Plus get to the finals against the iPhone. Wouldn't that be great?

    Vote here:
    March Smart Phone Madness Game 11: BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. Palm Pre Plus
    actually, the iphone already lost to the......yeah thats right the tour. those crackberry addicts are a wild bunch, but the pre still beat the bold!
  9. #69  
    There's another reason the iphone is still the market leader. It is stable and responsive. You don't tap a button and waaaaiiiittt (which I do all the time on the Pre.) I'm pretty sure that's why the celebrities that got early Pre's to play with didn't endorse them, and when back to using iphones.

    Yeah, it doesn't do multi-tasking. (well, it didn't at all, and now does it tentatively.) That's because Apple made a strategis decision not to allow the phone to do anything it couldn't do well. It wasn't powerful enough to multitask smoothly, so it simply couldn't multitask. The Pre could multitask on launch day, but that made it glitchy and slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    . . . I hate the way mail is handled, compared to Snapper mail its horrid. . .
    And that's why I don't own an iPhone. Because I bought an email gadget that happens to take phone calls and do some other stuff, not a phone that plays games, or a video player, or whatever. But the Pre's email isn't nearly as good as Snapper, either. (and I had too much email to use Snapper in Classic. I blew out my memory pretty regularly and had to uninstall it.)

    I really miss Snapper Mail. If anyone can suggest a worthy replacement, I might even change phones to get it. I've written to them twice suggesting they write a mail app for the Pre, but I don't think the market is large enough for it to be worth their while.

    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Capacitive screens are what is responsible for the demise of stylii. Nothing to do with more Apple 'brilliance??'. I, and probably most users, were already accessing Treo resistive screens with a finger.
    Actually, I miss the resistive screen. It allowed much finer detail of touch, either with a stylus or a fingernail. The visual resolution of new screens is awesome, but the touch resolution is way behind that of the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Remember Betamax? Amiga? OS/2? Microchannel?

    The better tech doesn't always win. Heck, in most cases it doesn't. People are sheep.
    "Better tech" isn't always what the experts want it to be. Betamax had higher resolution/better video quality. But VHS had a long run time. It turned out people cared more about run time than about quality.
  10. #70  
    I love the fact that my niece has a new iphone, she was at my house, we were going toe to toe, her iphone, my evo, and she left very jelous, and regretting she spent her money on iphone.

    Evo-lution
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I love the fact that my neese has a new iphone, she was at my house, we were going toe to toe, her iphone, my evo, and she left very jelous, and regretting she spent her money on iphone.
    Awww - is that any way to treat your niece?
  12. #72  
    I'll try and quickly chime in on this without trying to dev into a flame war or battle of webOS vs. iPhone.

    The iPhone does what I want how I want it. That's the quickest and easiest way I can sum things up. There are a lot of applications that I thoroughly enjoy too much to even consider any other device at the moment:

    - Netflix
    - Instagram
    - Path (what a spectacular app for sharing with family and close friends)
    - Kik (allowed me to drop to only a 200 txt plan and save $20)
    - Remote (use w/ my Apple TV)
    - Rdio
    - RememberTheMilk
    - Dropbox
    - GrubHub
    - Posterous
    - Square (http://squareup.com -- lets me accept payments by credit card)

    That's just a small selection of the ~150 apps that I do have and regularly use on my phone. There are SO many useful applications. Hell, the Home Depot app has helped me with so many home improvement stuff, from finding the correct bolt size (all you have to do is lay the bolt head down on the phone and it will tell you the size) to using it as a level.

    Yeah, the whole ecosystem thing does play a small role but it's not the deciding factor for me.

    For many here, it's the idea of the iPhone (or Apple) that they hate. I guess you don't understand or miss what you've never really experienced, but after having used an iPhone since 2007 I don't foresee anything much better for me in the near future.
  13. #73  
    Iphone is popular is not because they have the best features in the phone or best hardware. Iphone just works. Android might have 9 out of 10 features and Iphone may have 6 out of 10 features. However, those 6 features are the one that most people use that they do it almost to the perfect. However, other smartphone does more features than Iphone, they do average at most. So alot of consumer use the Iphone, they are not complainting about not having certain features, they just praise the features that iphone has does perfect, and no issue with it and just happy.

    My friend still uses the first generation Iphone and it's still look good and all the applications run fine without any delay or frustration. He will definately get the Iphone 5, he is extremely happy with the iphone product, and it's hard for anyone to convince him otherwise.

    I have pre plus for a year, and I will never buy the pre product again until they make a good product in the future.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There are a lot of applications that I thoroughly enjoy too much to even consider any other device at the moment:

    - Instagram
    Instagram is a good example because it's something that was created because of the iPhone's incredible popularity. Passing the 1 million users mark as an iOS exclusive just shows how the iPhone's critical mass enables developers to create entirely new classes of products.

    Not bad for an "outdated" platform.
  15. #75  
    Judging by the numbers being reported in this earnings call, the world really, really, really loves Apple products. Wow.
  16. #76  
    Now at Starbucks: Buy a Latte By Waving Your Phone - NYTimes.com

    Pretty sweet if you're a fan of Starbucks and own either a BlackBerry or iPhone. It's the continual progression of the device with things like this that push consumers to the iPhone. It's the main focus of every company and developer when it comes to mobile.
  17. #77  
    I like iphone
  18. #78  
    i find it marginally amusing that this is like a year old thread and everybody just followed the leader and chimed right in rehashing an old thread. I don't think there's a darn thing wrong with that either. i just think it's funny that almost an entire year later people just pick up on a conversation as if a year hadn't passed. as if to say, "...so like i was saying, blah blah blah." lol.
  19. #79  
    the reason is simple... nothing has changed in the past year...

    the world still loves the iphone.... and flash is still not out for the pre and...

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i find it marginally amusing that this is like a year old thread and everybody just followed the leader and chimed right in rehashing an old thread. I don't think there's a darn thing wrong with that either. i just think it's funny that almost an entire year later people just pick up on a conversation as if a year hadn't passed. as if to say, "...so like i was saying, blah blah blah." lol.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Actually, nothing has changed in the past two years for webOS.... we were waiting for ...
    something has changed for me personally. I'm just no longer waiting.

    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Now at Starbucks: Buy a Latte By Waving Your Phone - NYTimes.com

    Pretty sweet if you're a fan of Starbucks and own either a BlackBerry or iPhone. It's the continual progression of the device with things like this that push consumers to the iPhone. It's the main focus of every company and developer when it comes to mobile.
    whats funny is i saw this the day i bought my first starbucks card (soley for the free refills that come along with the card). But yeah i think a lot of people overly harp on things like dual core or ram speed but apps like this really sell phones. maybe not just this app but the totality of apps. Cause Coffee bean or pete's will follow. or your grocery store or whatever. Every app is just one more thing you can do with the phone. And i think there is a ton of value in that. Much more then most raw hardware stats.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions