Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Because Steve said that they should.
    haha yes totally...

AND WHAT'S WITH THE APPLE LOGO STICKER ON YOUR CAR? SERIOUSLY?
    most people are sheep. when a BIG celebrity gets one they follow
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I personally never even understood why the iPod was so popular. I don't get it!?!
    When the iPod hit the market, it did, quite honestly, blow away anything else out there. Bigger capacity, higher quality sound, good hardware, iTunes......and small. The nearest competitor was the Creative NOMAD, which was huge, is used laptop hard drives for storage. If you wanted small and pocketable, you were stuck with little 128mb (at best) stick players with mediochre sound. If you really had to poke me about it, I'd say its still one of the best players around, price to performance. There's other options available that are very good, but Apple's got that market reach that's going to be nearly impossible to break. As much as I hate the idea, if I wanted a digital music player dedicated to just that, I'd be rockin' one. Not a Touch, that's way more than I need........and I'd just finish the job and buy a full iPhone anyway.

I'll agree with the celebbrity bit, BUT.........typically a celeb gets a new, hot product, gets the trend rolling, then once something new and hot comes out, they're on to that (Razr, anyone?) Celebs keep buying iPods, even though they really don't have to, keeping that market spinning along. That much even appeals to me, if somebody with a thousand times my income is still buying a product after all this time, that does give an indicator that it's decent.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    The iphone was released aprx 3yrs ago with a 3.5"screen, multi-touch touch screen. unheard of at the time. Truely amazing considering the competition is just now trying to catch up. (and doing a poor job at that!)

give credit where credit is due!
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    whoa so all the game coming to the pre are targeted to kids, and a recent study done shows the average pre user age is around 36 (i might be off the age).

games are boostng but hey the dam commercials for the iphone show how easy it is to use it. The pre scare me or give me a *** idea in the end as of wat I just saw
    This post kinda makes my head hurt but anyway, they need to get the games out to attract young people to the phone, especially if the average Pre user is 36 years old :S

It's pretty much impossible to do now since kids are basically hooked on iTunes for all the music they get, and an iPod or iPhone is the logical choice for them.
    the better question is "why do so many people hate the iPhone".

I get why everyone hates apple fans. They come off smug and elitist. But the iPhone deserves a lot of credit for popularizing things that were either stagnant or perceived as unimportant.

-$99/199 price point. Before the iPhone blew up the industry pricing model then it wasn't uncommon to pay $400 for an advanced flip phone (M1, m310) and $799 for a Treo. But now $200 will get you a top of the line smartphone.

-Brand Badging. Before Apple phones would have so much branded garbage it was sick. Ringtones cost a fortune and we had no choice.

-App Store. Before Apple then where did we get apps? Direct from the shady site. It was such a hassle which is why most of us didn't bother. But now look at how much we buy because apps are compiled into easy to use stores.

-Gaming. Before the iPhone what was the best cell game? We could debate for hours what's the best now because there's so many. The gaming market shifted and soon phones will be making more money on games than consoles.

-Big Screens. Before Apple then big screens were for small computers. Now it's the norm and it doesn't cost more.

-Build Quality. Before the iPhone build quality wasn't measured that high. In fact, I'd say the Pre wouldn't have as much negativity if Apple didn't set the bar so high. The iPhone is a tank.

-Virtual Keyboards. Before iPhone it was styluses. No matter how much you hate virtual keyboards, the elimination of the stylus changed the way we access our Pre.

I know. People hate Apple and will continue to conjure up reasons why. But we also can't be so delusional as to pretend we don't know why people also love Apple. The iPhone is a quality product and I expect the 4G to be a big update.
    I have been a long time iPod user but decided to go with a Pre instead of an iPhone. I am happy with the Pre (but do want a SOLID handset with a bigger screen and more memory) but there are a couple of things that I'm jealous of iPhone users for. First, the iTunes ecosystem is amazing. They have an incredible amount of content at their fingertips at all times. Music, i don't really care about because I usually just buy CD's anyways and we have the Amazon MP3 Store, but Movies and tv-episodes are easily downloaded to their devices. Even digital copies of the movies I buy are geared towards iPhone users because they come as iTunes files. I tried yesterday putting a .wmv version of Star Trek on my Pre and it wouldn't work, which bums me out. Also, obviously there is the App gap that is huge. I do like some of the Apps I see on the Pre, and I know it's early, but they just have everything one could want. One huge place that we are lacking is in Sports apps. We've got almost nothing for that, and thats one I would use a ton. Anywhoo, I really hope Palm comes out with something great here soon, amazing hardware specs to rival the EVO and more PDK apps FLOODING into the catalog. I feel like app #'s have even dropped off lately, not a huge fan of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    This post kinda makes my head hurt but anyway, they need to get the games out to attract young people to the phone, especially if the average Pre user is 36 years old :S
    That hasn't really changed. Back when I first got into "real" gaming, on ye olde Atari 2600, I had little choice on the games bought, that was all my dad. His money, after all. I can see that coming around again, it used to be computers were toys, expensive ones, and kids wanted to play with them. Nowadays, computers are tools, games are secondary. I play a ton of games, some of which I actually like, but my 21 year old son? Rarely touches a game. He spends enough time in front of one doing homework and the like, the last thing he wants to do after hours of typing is fire up a game that requires........typing.........and no change of location.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Because Steve Jobs is the Devil?
    answer = essay!!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    To paraphrase Steve Ballmer, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps...
    Marketing of course. Brilliant ad campaigns being a large part of that. Apple also puts more into the design of their products than most manufacturers, so their devices are more attractive, more sleek, more elegant, most of the time.
    I think it started in 2007 with the original iPhone. The phone really did kick the competition at the time on its ***. It just took over, and even it didn't steal an insane amount of market share originally, it pretty much took all of the mind share. It became the standard of what any good phone should be. I think the next major thing that helped get them where they are now is apps, when they introduced the app store it was a huge success for them, they have such a huge lead over everybody in this category. And then there is the obvious fact that they advertised their advantages so everybody knew that had the best product out.

I think the pre is a better phone than the iPhone and even a lot of other new phones that are out, but it isn't shockingly better than the competition the way the iPhone was in 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Because life is too short to wait for apps.
    I think that's a great statement.

I'm tempted to get an EVO but I dislike that I'm moving from one app-deficient platform to another. I don't care if "one day" a mobile OS will get an app I need. If it's available NOW on the iPhone then I want it.

I'm really hoping that the June iPhone announcement will be on all 4 carriers. Despite all it's problems, it's got the apps.
    People like the iPhone and other Apple products because they are ***** proof and have snob appeal. Most computer enthusiasts would agree that a macbook is just a glorified Fisher Price activity center for adults that is arguably no more stable than a well-made PC laptop, with the possible exception of certain video and music production applications. However, we are a society of sheep for the most part and marketing is EVERYTHING.

The iPhone has so much momentum by now that it would take a huge shift in consumer tastes for it ever to fall out of favor. But look, it happened to Palm, so no one is ever really safe from competition. OK well Palm kinda did it to themselves but still....
    Look at my sig. I've had it all. Apple/PC , Palm/Iphone.

I held out until just recently with my Treo's. Why I eventually left:

Treo 755p- Map App is horrid. Not to mention Google just gave up and stopped supporting it. You had to trick a newly reset phone in to downloading an old google maps version you got from "somewhere". Then, you have a pretty useless mapping software with no GPS (after how many years, and no, im not downgrading my model to a Centro to get GPS). When I saw my friends Iphone pinging away effortlessly and showing us the way on a business trip I was almost sold right there.

Constant crashing. Yes I had a lot of 3rd party apps. Funny- Those never crashed- Just Blazer. Only when I needed it though, unimportant times it worked great. When I really needed it, like it the car, or in the bathroom - blammo, crash and I had to spend an extra 2-3 minutes waiting for OS to boot up and get back to square one. This happened almost daily. On my Iphone from thought to Webpage in about 5 seconds. A new Browser I just got is even faster than Safari.

Video playback quality. Part of my job includes showing clients high rez video. Sometimes we can't be in a studio on a nice monitor and a quick look on a small screen over lunch will suffice. That same business trip my buddy and me exchanged videos. My Treo looked like a toy compared to the output on his Iphone. Sold again.

App loading. Like pulling teeth getting my palm to sync without an error or something on the first attempt. Adding programs is clunky compared to over the air buying/downloading on built in app store. So simple, a caveman....

That's just a few. Don't get me wrong, I hate the close ecosystem apple offers, but it does create things like a more stable OS and more quality software. I hate the way mail is handled, compared to Snapper mail its horrid. Im willing to take a few of these things off for all the nutty things I can do, like:

Just today I was on the phone with my girlfriend WHILE running a video program she could see what my phone was doing. This was a FREE APP. I was "multitasking" video AND audio for FREE. My treo would laugh at that idea.

Oh yeah, im ancient with my Treo, I know. I liked the Pixi, seemed nice, however the Pre seems like junk build quality. It might last 6 months or a year, and then explode in your hand. My iphone doesnt feel like that.

Ok, flame away for ahonesty:

ps. software software software. Take away 5000 fart jokes and you have 15,000 slick apps. Very slick sometimes.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    Look at my sig. I've had it all. Apple/PC , Palm/Iphone.

I held out until just recently with my Treo's. Why I eventually left:

Treo 755p- Map App is horrid. Not to mention Google just gave up and stopped supporting it. You had to trick a newly reset phone in to downloading an old google maps version you got from "somewhere". Then, you have a pretty useless mapping software with no GPS (after how many years, and no, im not downgrading my model to a Centro to get GPS). When I saw my friends Iphone pinging away effortlessly and showing us the way on a business trip I was almost sold right there.

Constant crashing. Yes I had a lot of 3rd party apps. Funny- Those never crashed- Just Blazer. Only when I needed it though, unimportant times it worked great. When I really needed it, like it the car, or in the bathroom - blammo, crash and I had to spend an extra 2-3 minutes waiting for OS to boot up and get back to square one. This happened almost daily. On my Iphone from thought to Webpage in about 5 seconds. A new Browser I just got is even faster than Safari.

Video playback quality. Part of my job includes showing clients high rez video. Sometimes we can't be in a studio on a nice monitor and a quick look on a small screen over lunch will suffice. That same business trip my buddy and me exchanged videos. My Treo looked like a toy compared to the output on his Iphone. Sold again.

App loading. Like pulling teeth getting my palm to sync without an error or something on the first attempt. Adding programs is clunky compared to over the air buying/downloading on built in app store. So simple, a caveman....

That's just a few. Don't get me wrong, I hate the close ecosystem apple offers, but it does create things like a more stable OS and more quality software. I hate the way mail is handled, compared to Snapper mail its horrid. Im willing to take a few of these things off for all the nutty things I can do, like:

Just today I was on the phone with my girlfriend WHILE running a video program she could see what my phone was doing. This was a FREE APP. I was "multitasking" video AND audio for FREE. My treo would laugh at that idea.

Oh yeah, im ancient with my Treo, I know. I liked the Pixi, seemed nice, however the Pre seems like junk build quality. It might last 6 months or a year, and then explode in your hand. My iphone doesnt feel like that.

Ok, flame away for ahonesty:

ps. software software software. Take away 5000 fart jokes and you have 15,000 slick apps. Very slick sometimes.
    As someone who has had as many phones I say, it is what you use it for dependant. Video and screensize, a resounding yes, but Treo's from years ago had much more function than the iphone or even iphone 3G. Maps are you kidding, we had Tom Tom for years (with voice navigation), it was awesome. 5 years ago, I used the Treo 650 to navigate Europe for 2 months and photo blog the entire trip, that is only recently available to iphone users. Instant imap email was never an iphone option. MMS.... We had a form of bumping 8 years ago (remember the sending contacts on opposite subway cars tv add)... yes iphone apps are cool but as a productivity tool, its always been weak.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    people just think apple is "SUPER COOL" average people just look at it as..."windows always has viruses" so stuck in their head is that apple is a million times better and cannot get a virus. It all started out like that. Then the ipod caught on then the iphone came out and apple had enough people on its jock to start it off. I feel like more people just want an iphone b.c they just "think" its the best phone ever because so many people just have buried down that apple is the best of everything when they actually have no idea

just my thought don't hate lol.

P.S. I have no problem with the iphone, i just think that is why people want one so bad, they just say eff all other phones and go straight for the iphone without even considering other phones, then once they get it, turn instantly into apple fan boys and will try to bash any other phone, when in truth they have no idea about any other phone out there and probably don't know much about the iphone either. This is seems true for most of the iphone users ive come across, not all.
    Last edited by ChillHill; 03/26/2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: :)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Most computer enthusiasts would agree that a macbook is just a glorified Fisher Price activity center for adults that is arguably no more stable than a well-made PC
    Actually, most people don't care enough about what OS they use to get access email and YouTube videos. But as for "computer enthusiasts"? I'd say its ignorant to dismiss a Macbook as a Fischer price product. In fact, the best Windows notebook I ever used have been my MacBooks. And in the geek community, there's a solid push towards Macs because of UNIX and how much power is under the hood if you know what you're doing.

Another falicy about Macs is OSX is NOT ***** proof. It's just as easy/difficult to use as Windows so teaching grandma has more to do with her mind than which OS you give her.

Apple and Snotty Mac elitists should be called out when they act like idiots. But when it comes to Apple Products then they are universally high quality
    Last edited by Urkel; 03/26/2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Why is american idol the number one tv show?

I think the answer to that is the same answer for the op question.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast