Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    My first smartphone was a Treo 650. I loved that thing, but it was a beast in the pocket. I was so put off by the size that I jumped right to a HTC Touch after that, giving up the keyboard for a much smaller form factor. A decent phone, but I missed the hardware keyboard, big time. When the Pre was announced I was so happy to see that I could have a portrait keyboard (love it) and a larger screen (sort of) and the small form factor. The best of everything.

Now I hear everyone wanting a larger screen, even at the cost of the keyboard. I don't get it. Maybe touch keyboards have come a long way. But why does the screen need to grow?

This EVO looks amazing. It really does. But it is HUGE. At least it looks big. Uncomfortable in the pocket big. Even the Iphone looks uncomfortable big.

Doesn't anyone want a smaller device anymore? Don't get me wrong. I want all the pixels. But get 'em in a smaller screen please. How do you all carry those monster phones?
    I agree with you 100 percent. It's a phone not a tv. Pre is perfect size for me,for what it is,,,,,a phone.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    the pre is perfect. Love the size and weight of it. I feel the screen size is perfect aswell. Who wants a portable dvd size screen for a cell phone
    I had similar phone experiences, although I had many more models. I do love the whole pre feel with a physical keyboard. best looking phone I think. I wish I had more than 2 WebOS choices though, and much better build quality
    Last edited by slydog43; 03/25/2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: more info
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    +1 +1 +1 - I think the pre form is perfect. I thought my treo 700 was too big. I was so excited to see the thinness of the pre WITH a full keyboard & bigger screen. I wouldn't give up the small size for a bigger screen. & I definitely wouldn't give up a physical keyboard for larger screen. To each his own & for all those who want it I hope palm makes a huge screen virtual keyboard & it kicks a** but 4 me - love the pre!
    Two different type of users, if you heavy into gaming and watching videos on utube than a big monster is the way to go, if you want a phone for all around use and prefer a smaller size phone then the Pre is the way to go (my choice).
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I bet you could grow the pre by a 1/4" in length and 1/8" in width and still get 800x480 in there. The gesture are would need to shrink a bit and go to the bottom edge. Just less bezel everwhere.

I could deal with that. Just don't take away the portrait keyboard. It really sets the Pre apart.
    Could go back to this:

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    lol. I love it! That'll fit in the pocket.
    Yeah, I agree, one of the big benefits for the Pre for me is the small size. Another thing that people don't think about with large devices: how are you supposed to use the device one-handed? That's key to me, and I can reach the top parts of the Pre's screen fine, but any bigger and it'd be difficult.

Then again, most large devices are slates without keyboards anyway, so I guess nobody cares about one-handed use anymore.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    That's is why I bought a pre, hardware keyboard, good sized screen, and pocket friendly. If the pre had been in an iphone sized footprint I would have bought something else. That evo does look like a sweet deal but to big for pockets and you will pay for all those goodies.
    Thank you.

And this goes out to all those who keep arguing the Pre's screen is too small and that we need 4" screens for the next webOS device and every ***king thing needs to be a clone of the iPhone slate form factor.

There may be a void for such a device in Palm's lineup but please don't get rid of the Pre form factor.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    +1

I much prefer the size and shape of the Pre over larger slate phones.
    I like the size of the Pixi better than the Pre because it is thin and light. I like the big screen of the EVO because of web browsing. I like both. One's not better than the other, just different strengths and weaknesses of each device.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, I agree, one of the big benefits for the Pre for me is the small size. Another thing that people don't think about with large devices: how are you supposed to use the device one-handed? That's key to me, and I can reach the top parts of the Pre's screen fine, but any bigger and it'd be difficult.

Then again, most large devices are slates without keyboards anyway, so I guess nobody cares about one-handed use anymore.
    It just fits and feels so right in the "PALM" of my hand!
    FrankenPre2!!!
    I'll go ahead and say it. If you claim the Pre screen is the perfect size for a smartphone then you're lying.

The Pre size is one of the few, but deadly, mistakes Palm made. Think of the original iPhone. It really was almost "too big" because no apps existed. 3.5" screens for weather and audiobooks was overkill. But then apps came and now you can do photo editing, Sports Apps, more YouTube h.264 content and Games Games Games. Now that 3.5" screen is too small because phones are used for so much more.

What about Palm. They went with a smaller design and screen. Why? The OS is gorgeous but with todays apps and usage cases then it feels cramped. They didn't plan for the future and it cost them dearly.

I'm sure people are upset I called them liars but lets be real. If the Pre2 had less curves but was a little bigger to fit a 3.7" screen you would love it. And that's because this is the direction phones went. Making calls isn't our biggest use, it's everything else. And they all benefit from a big screen.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    I'll go ahead and say it. If you claim the Pre screen is the perfect size for a smartphone then you're lying.

The Pre size is one of the few, but deadly, mistakes Palm made. Think of the original iPhone. It really was almost "too big" because no apps existed. 3.5" screens for weather and audiobooks was overkill. But then apps came and now you can do photo editing, Sports Apps, more YouTube h.264 content and Games Games Games. Now that 3.5" screen is too small because phones are used for so much more.
    To each their own, but I have to totally disagree with you there. A bigger screen with the same resolution just equals bigger pixels. For a resolution of 320x480, I think the Pre is the perfect size. I personally think the iPhone screen is too large for its screen resolution. If the Pre had a higher resolution screen (like the Droid or Nexus one) I would be in complete agreement with you.

I might be in the minority but when I purchased a monitor for my computer, I purchased the smallest full-HD monitor I could because my eyesight is fine so I wouldn't gain anything by getting a larger monitor with the same resolution.
    I love the Pre the size it is. If it was bigger, I probably would have taken a pass, like I did on all the others. If it's any bigger than the pre, it won't fit in my jeans pocket. If it doesn't fit in my pocket, it's not a phone, it's a handheld computer with telephony capabilties, it's that simple.

Since there already are lots of oversized phones, and more every day, I think Palm nailed the alternative form factor exactly.
    the pre is small
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    the people that want bigger screens simply want to do more with their phone
    people that dont simply just talk on their phone and maybe can occastional email (basically text related stuff)

with a 4.3" screen like the HTC EVO it'll be very close to a very small laptop when it comes to viewing websites and other type stuff. You can view sites in desktop versions instead of missing out on stuff with optimized mobile sites.The 4G opens up a lot more stuff like teleconfering and even downloading torrents on a mobile phone lol

Might be the best thing since OQO went out of businessess(smallest full Vista laptop ever living)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast