Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I would argue that one of the reasons that Palm is taking customers away from Apple -- if at all -- is due to the physical keyboard. In case you have not been following users are very happy with their iPhones.

The less Palm competes directly with the iPhone the better.
    I disagree with each one of your points and you can't base your Pixi keyboard experience to that of the Pre. Its completely different. If I might ask, for what reason did you go from a Pre to a Pixi?

Regarding iPhone Users, they are tired of the iPhone because its getting boring now. Not a great example, but I just got an iPod Touch last December and it just sits on my dresser and its main use comes from the iTunes Remote App. That plain black background is getting tiresome. More and more techies and non-techies alike are seeing the limits of the iPhone. Apple is seeing this and that's why they are making bold changes. Multitasking, the main feature of WebOS, is going to Apple, Apple will be praised as the Multitasking creators, killing what mainstream users Palm has and migrating them to whatever other carrier the iPhone goes to in Q4. A small keyboard is not making strides in the industry.

So I would argue the more Palm competes directly with the iPhone the better for more than enough reasons, survival being the biggest. Taking from the iPhone's enormous user base will take a lot of work but it can be done with the right marketing, hardware, and forward thinking from Palm.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I disagree with each one of your points and you can't base your Pixi keyboard experience to that of the Pre. Its completely different. If I might ask, for what reason did you go from a Pre to a Pixi?
    Two reasons. I do not like sliders and the more I used the Pre the more it drove me crazy. Second, after 5 months of using the Pre keyboard I still found it unusable. The Pixi Plus keyboard is much, much better for me. My ideal phone would be a bigger version of the Pixi Plus -- bigger screen, keyboard and battery. That phone is just too small for me.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    mind taking a picture and posting it i'm interested in seeing the size comparison
    The only camera I have right now is on my phone, but using Phone Arena's phone size comparison tool, I made a better image. It's not perfect (the Evo image isn't the best) but it's a good estimate.

The whole Pre is about the size of just the Evo's screen...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Two reasons. I do not like sliders and the more I used the Pre the more it drove me crazy. Second, after 5 months of using the Pre keyboard I still found it unusable. The Pixi Plus keyboard is much, much better for me. My ideal phone would be a bigger version of the Pixi Plus -- bigger screen, keyboard and battery. That phone is just too small for me.
    Well that seems understandable but if Palm ever considers making a jumbo Pixi next I'm running to EVO 4G even though I hate Android (reminds me of Winmo) and I've been loyal since Treo 650. In regards to the Pre's slider, its horrible, we both know and it doesn't deserve an explanation. I thought of getting a Pixi (Not Pixi Plus), but Palm made a huge mistake by removing Wifi and giving it much lower specs. The audacity of them to put out such a pointless device hurt me emotionally, it was like a Centro all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Virtual keyboards eat screen space and have no tactile feedback. Physical keyboards allow for "no look" typing which is just plain faster and a better experience.
    That's exactly why I want a physical keyboard. I have no problems typing lots of text on the Pre's keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That's exactly why I want a physical keyboard. I have no problems typing lots of text on the Pre's keyboard.
    Well you and me both. I can type on it, I just rather not due to the awkwardness of it (the Pre). Texting can't be done with one hand safely, the amount of pressure required to press the keys just blows. I still sometimes have to look down at the keys because of how closely placed together they are. Sure a minority prefer a physical, but when roughly 70-80% of the smartphone market uses some type of on-screen keyboard, it becomes a negative force for new customers not to have one. Palm could have made the Pixi the only physical keyboard in their line up and gave us a keyboard-less Pre as its flag ship. They probably would have had to make the screen bigger but that alone would have gained them a whole lot more customers and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be in the mess they're in right now. Its nice Palm wants to be different and unique but its not working for them right now. Get with times or get bought by someone who will.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Sure a minority prefer a physical, but when roughly 70-80% of the smartphone market uses some type of on-screen keyboard, it becomes a negative force for new customers not to have one.
    I'm fairly certain that's not an accurate percentage, when you consider the popularity of Blackberry and the Droid.
    I love the Pre form factor and size, one of the main reasons I bought it. It's like my Tx with a keyboard and more pocketable. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen or twice the resolution, but don't make the device bigger!
    I want my phone to be portable, to stay in contact and occasionally look something up on the web. Surfing the web I can do at my PC.

Palm should just also come out with a slate for the folks who 'need' that, although I'm not sure it would work that great with WebOS and gesture area's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I'm fairly certain that's not an accurate percentage, when you consider the popularity of Blackberry and the Droid.
    iPhone share of U.S. smartphone traffic hits 69% - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

Its not up to date but look at the blue portion. That's Apple. Apple doesn't sell keyboards, The Droid's keyboard is there for those who want it, you don't even need to know its there. HTCs biggest sellers have nothing but onscreens. Nexus One, HD2, even RIM have onscreen keyboards. If you're referring to those candybar style RIM phones, I don't think the industry still considers them smartphones anymore, more like dumbphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    I love the Pre form factor and size, one of the main reasons I bought it. It's like my Tx with a keyboard and more pocketable. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen or twice the resolution, but don't make the device bigger!
    I want my phone to be portable, to stay in contact and occasionally look something up on the web. Surfing the web I can do at my PC.

Palm should just also come out with a slate for the folks who 'need' that, although I'm not sure it would work that great with WebOS and gesture area's.
    Keep your Pre in shape and you'll be fine. The rest of us want to move forward. WebOS would really shine with a larger screen. Jon Rub even told us that WebOS can adjust to any screen size. Not sure on the gesture area but a touch sensitive area of a phone has been done before (eg. Droid Eris).
    That's just counting website hits, not market share. RIM is still in the lead.

Google makes biggest gain in smartphone market share
    A big ***** device as a phone is stupid, the Droid looks dumb enough held up to the side of your head but regarding the EVO (which is sized the same as the HD2) this site put it best.

The size of the screen does come at a price though. The HTC HD2 is massive. If you thought the iPhone was big, you might want to steer clear of the HD2's 120.5x67x11mm dimensions. It doesn't make chatting on the phone simple at all, feeling like you have a remote control firmly lodged in your hand.

If you opt to use a handsfree earpiece, you'll have the same sort of problem - although you won't look silly with a large calculator-stye device stuck to your ear, you'll struggle to slide it into a jeans pocket. At least the HD2 has slimness on its side though.
    HTC HD2 review - HTC Reviews - Know Your Cell
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Put aside the keyboard argument. If you had a choice between an EVO at it's current size or a "mini" EVO with the exact same specs but it was a 1/2" shorter and a 1/4" narrower, which would you take?

I'd take the smaller one, hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That's just counting website hits, not market share. RIM is still in the lead.

Google makes biggest gain in smartphone market share
    You're right, RIM is in the lead but thats because of their long line up of primitive-candybar-non-touchscreen dumbphones which many feel are not smartphones anymore. They are more business oriented, lack so much of what Apple, Android, Palm and others offer. They are great phones for corporate people and people that don't want a touchscreen but I really don't see how they are considered Smartphones anymore with what's currently out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Put aside the keyboard argument. If you had a choice between an EVO at it's current size or a "mini" EVO with the exact same specs but it was a 1/2" shorter and a 1/4" narrower, which would you take?

I'd take the smaller one, hands down.
    The EVO is huge. I would have to hold each to my head and see. But it would be nice to have all that extra real estate for movies, web, apps, typing etc, and even better with a WebOS port and gesture area. It would eliminate my current desire to get an iPad most definitely.
    its like everything else...to each his own. i am a previous bb owner and i dropped it due to many problems both software and hardware related, but honestly i didnt need everything the berry was capable of. most of my email is junk, i drive for a living but im in the same area everyday so when i do travel (which is rarely) the maps/gps come in handy, i have an mp3 player so i only use my phone for one if i forget to charge it and the battery dies, i only have time to browse the internet at home after work or on lunch break so that rarely gets used unlesss i hear a breaking news story i wanna find out about. bottom line is (such as myself)...if you use a phone more for what it initially is...a phone...then all the big screens/fancy blings dont make an impact when choosing one. the selling point for me was the software. the screen is actually perfect for me as far as size, and the home screen is not cluttered. im just tired of the boring dumbphones basically all being the same, and technology is leading us all to smartphones anyway.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234