Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75
  1. #21  
    I agree if I wanted something that big and squared off, I would buy a 79 Buick Riviera
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    I'll go ahead and say it. If you claim the Pre screen is the perfect size for a smartphone then you're lying.

    The Pre size is one of the few, but deadly, mistakes Palm made. Think of the original iPhone. It really was almost "too big" because no apps existed. 3.5" screens for weather and audiobooks was overkill. But then apps came and now you can do photo editing, Sports Apps, more YouTube h.264 content and Games Games Games. Now that 3.5" screen is too small because phones are used for so much more.

    What about Palm. They went with a smaller design and screen. Why? The OS is gorgeous but with todays apps and usage cases then it feels cramped. They didn't plan for the future and it cost them dearly.

    I'm sure people are upset I called them liars but lets be real. If the Pre2 had less curves but was a little bigger to fit a 3.7" screen you would love it. And that's because this is the direction phones went. Making calls isn't our biggest use, it's everything else. And they all benefit from a big screen.
    I'm sorry, but that's entirely bull. First of all, there is no one perfect smartphone, so generalizing that everyone likes the same thing you do is BS, though I've noticed you do it quite often.

    Secondly, whether the OS is 'cramped' or not, is more dependent on resolution anyway. If you have more pixels, you have more room to display whatever you want, no matter the size of the screen.

    And I do pretty much everything else with my Pre more than phone calls as well, though I will admit that I never really understood the point of watching anything longer than a podcast on a screen smaller than laptop-sized. Not once have I felt the screen was too cramped, including in the 3d and 2d games I've played, any sports apps I've used, or anything of the sort.

    Basically, just because you would prefer a larger screen doesn't mean everyone would. I'm probably just as much a 'power user' as anyone else here, and yes, I would be annoyed if the Pre2 was larger. The only benefit of a larger device would be the ability for a larger battery. That part of it would definitely be great, but I'd see the larger device as more of an overall negative than a positive. It wouldn't stop me outright from getting it, but it would be a negative factor that I'd have to weigh against other improvements.
  3. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #23  
    Depends on what you mean by "small." I think a lot people want a phone that is nice and thin like the Pixi or iPhone -- and want as much display and keyboard space as possible.

    I would kill to have a Pixi Plus that was about 20% wider and taller. The keyboard is excellent for the size, but is a little crapped to do serious text input. Similarly, a wider and taller screen would make it much better for viewing email, Google Maps, browsing, etc. The Pixi gets very cramped when notifications start to pile up.

    The other thing is that applications will be optimized for the larger screens on the iPhone and Android phones.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    I'll go ahead and say it. If you claim the Pre screen is the perfect size for a smartphone then you're lying.

    The Pre size is one of the few, but deadly, mistakes Palm made. Think of the original iPhone. It really was almost "too big" because no apps existed. 3.5" screens for weather and audiobooks was overkill. But then apps came and now you can do photo editing, Sports Apps, more YouTube h.264 content and Games Games Games. Now that 3.5" screen is too small because phones are used for so much more.

    What about Palm. They went with a smaller design and screen. Why? The OS is gorgeous but with todays apps and usage cases then it feels cramped. They didn't plan for the future and it cost them dearly.

    I'm sure people are upset I called them liars but lets be real. If the Pre2 had less curves but was a little bigger to fit a 3.7" screen you would love it. And that's because this is the direction phones went. Making calls isn't our biggest use, it's everything else. And they all benefit from a big screen.
    I browse the web AND check my email with this:

    Nokia E51 Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

    Before that I had the Centro, no problems with that one either. Switched to this one for the HSDPA.

    I for one don't want ANYTHING that remotely resembles the iPhone thank you very much. I don't want something I slip into my pocket, then have to worry cracking the digitizer.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. #25  
    That's why i don't like the Milestone, it's so big that it doesn't fit in my pocket.

    If i want a bigger screen, I would buy a Netbook. XD
    Nokia 1100 - Alcatel OT156A - Motorola C650 - Motorola v220i - Motorola V555 - The Great Motorola V360 - The Amazing Treo 650 - Treo 750 - Original Palm Pre (1.4.5) - Palm Pre2 (2.1) + Touchpad.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Doesn't anyone want a smaller device anymore?
    No because of the following reasons.
    1. Phones are used now for web browsing. A small screen is not good for that.
    2. A lot of applications look and runs better on a larger screen.
  7. #27  
    I didn't get a pre+, because it was TOO BIG! It's thicker than the Droid. Thickness is the major factor for pocket friendlyness, and the pre is over the critical 1/2" mark.

    On the other hand the pixi thickness is perfect, but the height/width are a bit small making screen real-estate less than desirable. Cut out half the gesture area, make it a little wider, and you have my perfect form factor(well add hard send/receive keys too).
  8. cdjh's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
       #28  
    I understand the desire for screen real estate for apps and web browsing. But I have no problem browsing on the Pre screen. Quite enjoyable for most sites. I even thing gaming works well on the Pre screen.

    No doubt it is a compromise for companies to design a device that is pleasing to use balanced with pocket-ability. A huge beautiful screen becomes a bother when it is a pain to carry. They've done a great job to make full keyboard devices of manageable size and pack pixels into smaller screens.

    I just remember that big lump of Treo that used to be in my pocket all the time. Not sure I want to go back to that. Especially if it has no physical keyboard. Maybe I'll change my tune when I see an EVO in person compounded with the growing uncertainty of Palm's future. I really hope they can pull something out tho.
  9. #29  
    Here are some measurements to consider. Some of them surprised me, in particular how thin the Galaxy S is.
    Source = Cell phone reviews, news and specs - Phone Arena

    Palm Pre Plus: 100.5 x 59.5 x 16.9mm
    Palm Pixi Plus: 111 x 55 x 10.8mm

    HTC EVO: 122 x 66 x 13mm
    Samsung Galaxy S: 122.4 x 64.2 x 9.9mm
    Google Nexus 1: 119 x 55.8 x 11.5mm
    Motorola Droid: 115.8 x 60 x 13.7mm

    Apple iPhone 3GS: 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3mm
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Here are some measurements to consider. Some of them surprised me, in particular how thin the Galaxy S is.
    Source = Cell phone reviews, news and specs - Phone Arena

    Palm Pre Plus: 100.5 x 59.5 x 16.9mm
    Palm Pixi Plus: 111 x 55 x 10.8mm

    HTC EVO: 122 x 66 x 13mm
    Samsung Galaxy S: 122.4 x 64.2 x 9.9mm
    Google Nexus 1: 119 x 55.8 x 11.5mm
    Motorola Droid: 115.8 x 60 x 13.7mm

    Apple iPhone 3GS: 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3mm
    nice numbers, proves my complaint with the pre, that thing is THICK
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, I agree, one of the big benefits for the Pre for me is the small size. Another thing that people don't think about with large devices: how are you supposed to use the device one-handed? That's key to me, and I can reach the top parts of the Pre's screen fine, but any bigger and it'd be difficult.

    Then again, most large devices are slates without keyboards anyway, so I guess nobody cares about one-handed use anymore.
    Actually, I have trouble using the Pre one handed when I am typing. The physical keyboard all the way at the bottom make me feel like I am going to drop the Pre every time I use it. I think this is mostly because I need to push to use the keyboard. IMO a virtual keyboard is much more effective for one hand typing.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  12. cdjh's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    nice numbers, proves my complaint with the pre, that thing is THICK
    OK, the Pre is thick. But hot damn, look at the size of the EVO. I was trying gauge it. Slide the Pre open about 2/3 of the way, then add a 1/4" in width. Just Massive. I can deal with the Pre being a 3-5 mils thicker than the others.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Actually, I have trouble using the Pre one handed when I am typing. The physical keyboard all the way at the bottom make me feel like I am going to drop the Pre every time I use it. I think this is mostly because I need to push to use the keyboard. IMO a virtual keyboard is much more effective for one hand typing.
    Well, when I hold the Pre in one hand, I sort of wrap my middle finger around the back of the keyboard, with my index finger along the right edge and then curled around the back top, and my ring finger supporting the bottom edge of the keyboard.

    I've got no issue with feeling like I'm going to drop it like this.
  14. #34  
    I just have small hands

    Like I can type fine on the vkr for the Pre, it is the act of pushing the physical button that makes me feel like I am going to drop the phone. It is just a personal preference. For longer emails I really like the physical keyboard, as I can type plenty fast on it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  15. #35  
    Almost everyone I know thinks its too small. Either because they are young and have an ipod(which is also kinda small these days) or old and can't read/touch it well.

    I like it mostly. I would like a device about this size with a bigger screen. (less bezel)

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16. #36  
    The Pre is perfect the way it is size and shape wise.
  17. #37  
    Does everybody here have the same hands as that guy from the Burger King commercials and a closet full of "skinny jeans"?

    The Evo 4G is just over 3/4 of an inch taller than the Pre, and about 1/4 of an inch wider (not to mention, it's slimmer). Are your pockets really that constrained that they can't accomodate less than an inch more of height and width for the phone you use?

    If that's the case, no wonder there are so many Pre phones broken and returned. Apparently, they're all under constant pressure from tight fabric. How do you guys even get it out in time to answer a phone call?
  18. #38  
    Yeah. And an ipad is only slightly bigger. Can't you jam one of those down the front of your pants?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Yeah. And an ipad is only slightly bigger. Can't you jam one of those down the front of your pants?
    .

    Seriously, dude? At least have your snark make sense.
  20. #40  
    Here let me explain it to you in simple terms:

    Alot of Pre users find the iphone obnoxiously large. The Evo is only making matters worse and is that much more outlandish...but hey if you read the large print edition of your favorite magazine then it could be the phone for you. To each his own.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions