1.    #1  
    Snapdragon just supports 3G mobile broadband not 4G

I just found the snapdragon specifications on this site and it seems that doesn´t support a 4G broadband, so this HTC EVO or supersonic is going to run on a 4G Sprint network ready, but the phone is just 3G

If anyone can find an information that give us the info about this phone HTC EVO is snapdragon 4G, then I am wrong.

Here is the link to the processor manufacturer:

Snapdragon™, Qualcomm Snapdragon™, QCT Snapdragon™ - QCTConnect.com

The QSD8x50 platform consists of the QSD8250™ which supports GSM, GPRS, EDGE, HSPA networks while the QSD8650™ supports CDMA2000 1X, 1xEV-DO Rel 0/A/B, GSM, GPRS, EDGE and HSPA networks. Both chipsets include:

1 GHz CPU
    600MHz DSP
    Integrated 3G mobile broadband
    Support for Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® connectivity
    Built-in seventh-generation gpsOne® engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    High-definition (720p) video decode, and multiple video codec support
    High-performance 3D graphics – up to 22M triangles/sec and 133M 3D pixels/sec
    High-resolution up to WXGA (1280x720) display support
    12-megapixel camera support
    Multiple audio codecs: (AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, FR, EFR, HR, WB-AMR, G.729a, G.711, AAC stereo encode)
    Support for mobile broadcast TV (MediaFLO™, DVB-H and ISDB-T)
    Support for Windows Mobile®, Android, and a number of Linux®-based operating systems
    Qualcomm’s hybrid mode alternative solution
    Last edited by akitayo; 03/24/2010 at 01:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Snapdragon just supports 3G mobile broadband not 4G

I just found the snapdragon specifications on this site and it seems that doesn´t support a 4G broadband, so this HTC EVO or supersonic is going to run on a 4G Sprint network ready, but the phone is just 3G

If anyone can find an information that give us the info about this phone HTC EVO is snapdragon 4G, then I am wrong.

Here is the link from the processor manufacturer:

Snapdragon™, Qualcomm Snapdragon™, QCT Snapdragon™ - QCTConnect.com

The QSD8x50 platform consists of the QSD8250™ which supports GSM, GPRS, EDGE, HSPA networks while the QSD8650™ supports CDMA2000 1X, 1xEV-DO Rel 0/A/B, GSM, GPRS, EDGE and HSPA networks. Both chipsets include:

1 GHz CPU
    600MHz DSP
    Integrated 3G mobile broadband
    Support for Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® connectivity
    Built-in seventh-generation gpsOne® engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    High-definition (720p) video decode, and multiple video codec support
    High-performance 3D graphics – up to 22M triangles/sec and 133M 3D pixels/sec
    High-resolution up to WXGA (1280x720) display support
    12-megapixel camera support
    Multiple audio codecs: (AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, FR, EFR, HR, WB-AMR, G.729a, G.711, AAC stereo encode)
    Support for mobile broadcast TV (MediaFLO™, DVB-H and ISDB-T)
    Support for Windows Mobile®, Android, and a number of Linux®-based operating systems
    Qualcomm’s hybrid mode alternative solution
    Just a guess but maybe 4G wasn't relevant when Snapdragon came out. If you look at Sprint's website they're saying it works on 3G & 4G in the details section.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Just a guess but maybe 4G wasn't relevant when Snapdragon came out. If you look at Sprint's website they're saying it works on 3G & 4G in the details section.
    Just there are just saying but IMHO it is not an 4G processor.
    I can say also that the Sprint Pre is 3G/4G like they are saying of the HTC EVO, but the processor is just 3G.

The link I posted is from the snapdragon manufacturer Qualcomm.
  4.    #4  
    on this link is very clear wrote what I am saying:

HTC EVO 4G Specs Published By Sprint | Android Phone Fans

3G/4G capability: means , the processor for 3G broadbands can run on 4G network
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    on this link is very clear wrote what I am saying:

HTC EVO 4G Specs Published By Sprint | Android Phone Fans

3G/4G capability: means , the processor for 3G broadbands can run on 4G network
    I read the post and it seems to me that what they are saying is it supports both 3G & 4G so if you live in an area that doesn't get 4G your phone will still function.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I read the post and it seems to me that what they are saying is it supports both 3G & 4G so if you live in an area that doesn't get 4G your phone will still function.
    That is the correct perception. Thanks.
    I'm not seeing how this has to do with the radio???
    the snapdragon on the EVO is a newer build than the one found on the HD2 and Nexus One.... maybe they worked on 4G?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    the snapdragon on the EVO is a newer build than the one found on the HD2 and Nexus One.... maybe they worked on 4G?
    all of them are of the same family processor. You can see in my first post
    You're not being very clear on what it means when you say "the phone is just 3G." Do you mean the voice connection is just 3G? Or are you claiming the phone will not be able to make use of the 4G network? It's pretty clearly stated that the data connection will be 4G over WiMax while voice will travel over the CDMA network. This might even enable simultaneous voice and data. I believe it was Engadget's article that said they were still testing that as an option.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    You're not being very clear on what it means when you say "the phone is just 3G." Do you mean the voice connection is just 3G? Or are you claiming the phone will not be able to make use of the 4G network? It's pretty clearly stated that the data connection will be 4G over WiMax while voice will travel over the CDMA network. This might even enable simultaneous voice and data. I believe it was Engadget's article that said they were still testing that as an option.
    The processor hardware snapdragon of the HCT EVO is just for mobile broadband 3G, that it is going to run on 4G Sprint, is another thing. Maybe because it is 1GHz will give a better performance of the device, is another different thing, too.
  12.    #12  
    In other words, the phone does work on the Sprint 4g wimax net work but the processor hardware is not 4G , just 3G.

IMHO they are taking their chances/risks, taking advantage of the 1GHZ processor speed.

Will see when the HTC EVO is running plenty,after launch and how it really works.

The comsumer can be stunned by all the others feaures too, certainly not bad, but the truth is the truth.
  13.    #13  
    In other words, the phone does work on the Sprint 4g wimax net work but the processor hardware is not 4G , just 3G.

IMHO they are taking their chances/risks, taking advantage of the 1GHZ processor speed.

Will see when the HTC EVO is running plenty,after launch and how it really works.

The comsumer can be stunned by all the others feaures too, certainly not bad, but the truth is the truth.
    what the **** are you guys talking about? This is the processor, not the radio. It will work just fine.
    The OP doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Even though the Snapdragon chipset doesn't have a WiMax radio built-in, it doesn't mean they didn't add a WiMax radio in the phone. It's probably just an add-on.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Let's clarify: processor (or CPU, or MPU - whichever name you prefer) is never responsible for any network communication. It doesn't matter if it is cell phone or desktop computer: there are always separate chips handling communication (3G/4G on the phone, WiFi everywhere, Ethernet in your desktops. Some processors come with additional chips (a.k.a. chipset) that can be used to quickly build a system. Actual device designer can, but does not have to use those chips - it is just a convenience. If you are using Intel processor, you can have computer with integrated Intel graphics that comes with the chipset, but you can have your Nvidia, too.
    So, even if there is no 4G(WiMax) chip in Snapdragon chipset, it does not mean that HTC is forbidden to to add suitable 4G radio chip to EVO.
    Last edited by jaroslawk; 03/24/2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo correction