Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Palm's a day late and a dollar short. All of Sprint's effort and money is going to be directed at the Evo; this summer they will be marketing that device like crazy. Walk into a Sprint store and what do you think is going to be on the all mighty pedestal? The Evo. What do you think they're going to try and influence you to purchase? The Evo. And the same for every other carrier that has new flagship devices that are going to hit in the near future. Sadly, the Pre/Pixi will never break out of being a niche device.
  2.    #22  
    I think some people are missing the point, I'm just finding it funny in a "what if" scenario. I even admitted that the EVO is some beautiful piece of hardware, and even I'm suffering from a little bit of temptation too. I love my phone, but I'm not a hardcore Pre fan boy. I'm only pointing out how people will do things around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I think some people are missing the point, I'm just finding it funny in a "what if" scenario. I even admitted that the EVO is some beautiful piece of hardware, and even I'm suffering from a little bit of temptation too. I love my phone, but I'm not a hardcore Pre fan boy. I'm only pointing out how people will do things around here.
    What if? Again... they're late to the show. People will be wrapped up in contracts after purchasing these already-released devices, or unwilling to drop another couple hundred and have the $500+ device they just bought as a nice looking paperweight.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What if? Again... they're late to the show. People will be wrapped up in contracts after purchasing these already-released devices, or unwilling to drop another couple hundred and have the $500+ device they just bought as a nice looking paperweight.
    Ya I see your point. That Palm had its chance and blew it, right? Well as many people will know, that there will be new announcements from other manufacturers in the summer, thus releasing new(er) phones at the end of the year... but it all depends on how patient you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Palm's a day late and a dollar short. All of Sprint's effort and money is going to be directed at the Evo; this summer they will be marketing that device like crazy. Walk into a Sprint store and what do you think is going to be on the all mighty pedestal? The Evo. What do you think they're going to try and influence you to purchase? The Evo. And the same for every other carrier that has new flagship devices that are going to hit in the near future. Sadly, the Pre/Pixi will never break out of being a niche device.
    What if the Pre/Pixi isn't the mythical device being discussed? Because it isn't. He was referring to an upcoming device not the current gen for one.

What if people are smarter than letting their $500+ device become a paper weight and oh, I dunno... Sell them?
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Ya I see your point. That Palm had its chance and blew it, right? Well as many people will know, that there will be new announcements from other manufacturers in the summer, thus releasing new(er) phones at the end of the year... but it all depends on how patient you are.
    one thing for sure is that...im in no hurry....no 4g here in miami fl and just waiting for a next gen pre...love my pre right now though so like i said no hurry right now
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    When the pre was being released last year, i raved to all my friends with iphones that i would be getting the 1st iphone killer. well, you all know pre never took that spotlight, in fact to date, no cell phone has yet taken the glorious throne of being named the phone to beat (or be killed). i'm glad this EVO 4g is being released. why? so all the iphone crazies running around can take a step back and be put in their spot. am i switching to the EVO 4g? no. i'll stay with palm and wait for another web OS device to be released.
    Yah know, there's a part of me that feels exactly the same way. I hate Android; it really does remind me lots of Windows Mobile, and those aren't good memories. webOS is superior, in my book, even at 1.4; I can't imagine how great 2.0 will be. In the meantime, however, I too am glad to see somebody competing with the iPhone for mindshare, and every peg that Apple can get knocked down levels the playing field for everyone else.*

One small disagreement: I really don't think that Palm actively promoted the Pre as an "iPhone killer." That was all the tech media's doing, and they do it with every fricking new phone that's released. If anyone related to the Pre actually did any direct iPhone comparisons, it was Sprint (and wacky Roger McNamee from Elevation Partners, who did far more harm than good).

*I'm not oblivious to the possibility that Apple will announce a groundbreaking new iPhone 4G in June. Or, that whatever Apple does introduce will be promoted by the tech media as revolutionary, groundbreaking, etc., for including the features that webOS, Android, and BB already provide.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yah know, there's a part of me that feels exactly the same way. I hate Android; it really does remind me lots of Windows Mobile, and those aren't good memories. webOS is superior, in my book, even at 1.4; I can't imagine how great 2.0 will be. In the meantime, however, I too am glad to see somebody competing with the iPhone for mindshare, and every peg that Apple can get knocked down levels the playing field for everyone else.*

One small disagreement: I really don't think that Palm actively promoted the Pre as an "iPhone killer." That was all the tech media's doing, and they do it with every fricking new phone that's released. If anyone related to the Pre actually did any direct iPhone comparisons, it was Sprint (and wacky Roger McNamee from Elevation Partners, who did far more harm than good).

*I'm not oblivious to the possibility that Apple will announce a groundbreaking new iPhone 4G in June. Or, that whatever Apple does introduce will be promoted by the tech media as revolutionary, groundbreaking, etc., for including the features that webOS, Android, and BB already provide.
    excellent response.
  9.    #29  
    Interesting the direction this conversation is going. I'm really hoping that Palm, in this case, will listen to our needs and deliver. Hype and chatter doesn't lie what people want, therefore Palm better listen.

I certainly agree with Wynand32, I'm pretty patient, and am very happy with my pre. At this point, I'm remaining highly optimistic until lead otherwise.
    Even tho the EVO appears to kick donkey, I still want a keyboard. That plus won't keep able to get new phone for another 10 months.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    <<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    does Palm even have the resources to make comparable hardware? from what i see they are just shipping the same devices with different bands just to make it compatible on other carriers, and with all the losses and very low cash flow, its gonna be next to impossible to make a top notch high-end device without being bought out first IMO
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    When is Palm supposed to take the stage for CTIA?
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    yes, palm has already stated their working on new hardware. they should release it before the release of the next iphone 4gs
    Now THAT'S some irony. Right now every wireless carrier and phone manufacturer is show off their latest greatest products at the annual CTIA convention but Palm is a no show even though they're about to release a new device? That doesn't pass the giggle test. Even AT&T has delayed the Pre and Pixie launch this to later this summer.

Hope springs eternal...
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I will be amazed if we see anything but version of the Pre and Pixi - where would the money could from to develop these amazing Evo beating phones?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12