View Poll Results: Who is switching to the EVO or going to wait it out?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm taking the EVO, bigger screen, better hardware.

161 43.75%
  • Not sure, I'll wait until I see more reviews of this phone.

92 25.00%
  • I'll wait until Palm releases something even better.

115 31.25%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    All I know is when I hit the home key on my Moment and go to an app from it, I'm at the same exact spot I left off, ready to go. I can go back and forth like that all day long. And it hasn't slowed me down once. The only advantage to webOS is it does it with more elegance and polish, albeit slower for now.

And I'm sure Palm will at least introduce a 2nd gen phone before the Evo is released. I think it would be suicide not to, or if it's lackluster, could just put the nail in the coffin. I'm refraining from voting because I have a spare account with a dumbphone that I can buy the Evo and keep my Pixi and Moment. If the portrait virtual keyboard sucks, I would care less about keeping it. I use the phone in portrait mode 95% of the time. If I have to turn it sideways to do any decent typing, it's going back. The Treo form factor still rocks and portrait typing is just more efficient if that's the way I use my phone on a normal basis. The rest is still all fluff, though it's really killer fluff comparatively speaking.

The Evo is also running Sense which adds a lot more polish to android and improves PIM functionality. Sense is not all fluff and can greatly enhance the overall user experience outside of the stupid all encompassing weather/clock widget.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    I want to start out in saying that I've loved the homebrew with keeping up in this forum. Makes me feel like I have more control to do what I want with my phone than how it came from Palm. One of the big things I want is to use my phone as a real Ipod/mp3 player replacement, and the Pre currently lets me do that. I have found myself running music while having the navigation app up and that is big for me.

As much as the multitasking is very cool to be able to do, because of the poor battery, I usually check out a website, and then close it. From time to time, I will copy and paste info from a website into twitter or FB, so I will also look to see if this phone has that capability as well.....I think the specs are crazy, but to be honest, I think for most people it can be one or two little features that sell or break their deal for switching.

I came from an Instinct, and the Pre is miles ahead of that, but I was fine with having an on-screen keyboard. With hopefully some predictive text like T9 I would be set on that aspect. More of us are watching video on our cells, so the upgrade in resolution and screen size should be considered a plus for most of us - hopefully sound is also high quality as is the Pre (maybe some equilizer options as well?)

Needless to say, I will be considering this EVO in July when I am elligible, but will def make sure to make a list of things to check on a working phone before deciding to switch....since the options even a year or two ago were like switching from a Geo Prizm to a Dodge Spirit, whereas (and we should be giving more props like this) we are now having the option of switching from a Ferrari to a Lambourghini - Bring on the Competition!
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Sense is not all fluff and can greatly enhance the overall user experience outside of the stupid all encompassing weather/clock widget.
    and given how many people mention it, let's not forget the clock/weather widget can be changed / removed, eh?
    I always find it amusing many just equate sense to that widget. That's the first thing I sent to the trash when I got the Hero. That was a major chunk of real estate clogging up my home screen.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I just had to post it here as i thought it was pretty funny, Everywhere i seem to go the HTC EVO is the phone of the year Talk!

I found this thread on a Automotive Forum i'm on

Oh yes...the phone of the year!! - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

Any thoughts about the comments they are saying?

Any i'm First post on page 5 and Loving My PRE! (1990 Dsm Gsx)
    2006 Evolution IX RS
    I am sure many people that say they are going to change to the EVO will change their mind when Sprint announces rate plans for 4g. If anyone thinks the rate will be the same as 3g I think they are going to be very disappointed.

I can't leave Palm because I am addicted to WebOS,Precentral,The Palm cast,3D games,WebOS Quick Install and Preware.

Palm will come out with better hardware eventually and I will be the first in line.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    I am sure many people that say they are going to change to the EVO will change their mind when Sprint announces rate plans for 4g. If anyone thinks the rate will be the same as 3g I think they are going to be very disappointed.
    How exactly do you know that and how would that work?

4G is a limited coverage around the country so I think it's unlikely they would differentiate based solely on location. I live in SoCal so it would be ridiculous if I had to pay $10 more for 4G even though my usage is spotty or primarily 3G.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    ^
    Agreed, as i'm in SoCal aswell
    2006 Evolution IX RS
    i thought i read somewhere a quote from Sprint head that it would be the same rate as 3G.

nice evo video
    http://www.youtube.com/v/lKiBzBAHuEw..._US&fs=1&rel=0
    It will be the same rate. Their CEO flat out said as much. Like you said, there is limited coverage so it makes no sense to charge more. Just like they didn't charge more as 3G rolled out but eventually they moved to the "everything" plans since data was taking over in terms of importance. In maybe 2 or 3 years they will be moving to an all-data plan and everything will be routed over 4G but for at least the next several years it will be more of an added bonus if you live in the right cities. I've had Sprint Wimax since late 2008 and have loved every minute of it. As soon as the Evo comes out I'm handing down my latest Pre with a wonky screen and a crack in the same place as all the other ones and going back to HTC. They served me well before so I'm looking forward to using one again.
    actually, they did charge more for 'power vision' over regular vision which was evdo vs 1xrtt.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I'm definitely switching over, I like webos and all but this hardware is ridiculous. I'm on my 3rd pre and now this one is Fing up. The whole headjack is a mess, and now I have to tap on earphone to hear people talk because it has a lose connection o somethingr.
    so... i have an update to say. spoke to someone i know who got to play with the evo and i trust this guy more then anyone. he said its insane. he loves his hero now but its laggy and the evo is just too quick to believe and keyboard is excellent to type on. so i went to the t-mobile store to play with the HD2 and the associate approached me and i said im not a customer, im just checking this out for my next phone the evo. and he laughed at me and said its only 3 things... and i was like "oh no you didnt" type and told him ive been selling sprint since i was 18 and man theres alot that that phone doesnt have the evo does and your 3g cant even touch 4g and its only been 1 year buildout. lol his response telling me "oh well you can buy a kickstand for the HD2" and i said to him why buy it when i can watch hd youtube on 4g, with verizon roaming for free included, with a kickstand included all while doing a hey lookie there and video capturing it on 720p. yeah, you just met your match buddy.

the keyboard on the HD2 is very large that its gunna take time to adjust comparing to the pre. i miss typed several times cause of the landscape mode and couldnt test portrait move cause of the security bracket. camera is an improvement compared to the mogul (looks like htc got the idea with how many tep exchanges we did). one thing i loved on that phone which i never did on other phones is landscape browsing. i hated landscape browing on the pre cause it never gave me the full paragraph or so. and wow, just amazing how that browsing is. lets just say i loved the phone so much i almost impulsed a line for t-mobile. thank god i didnt or i would have went 5 years in the past in wireless technology. worth the upgrade everyone

thank you mytether
    Yeah i'm confirmed on Evo unless Palm shows better hardware and a nice jump in softare.

If you have been looking at the HTC Incredible reviews (runs the same CPU/RAM) the phone is lighting quick and responsive.

I just watched in pain as they opened up Google maps on satelite view and it loaded literally within the second of the icon press.

I LOVE webos...love it. But if Palm can't show me a faster device that gets rid of these lag times with app openings I'm ready to move on esp. since it looks like the new Sense covers up the ugly of stock Android.

But seriously, i recommend you look at HTC Incredible reviews....watching the photos app just fly thru pictures makes me sad haha.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Just got Sprint's email for a new sweepstakes involving the EVO. Write a 150 word essay and enter for a chance to win the device, as well as a trip, cash, and some other prizes. Who out there's tryin to figure out how many things they can claim they do fast to BS their way through 150 words???

Started doing it and got to about 50 words and thought, well I can't say that I always drive 10 over the speed limit! I can throw a baseball really fast, but dangit I can't get 150 words into this one right now...maybe I'll just buy it when it comes out LOL
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    I find it funny that everyone is wetting there pants...

it is the greatest thing until the next new phone comes out.

NOT INTERESTED AT ALL

See you when you come back to webOS. Have fun gesturing (pointlessly) on your HTC, and not Multi-tasking.
    come back to webos???? muhahahaha!! I have an Evo and I will never come back to webos...

Im sorry but im not a ****** like most people are I go with whats hot and this phone is BLAZING!!!

WEBOS WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED... BUT FOR ME IT WAS TIME TO MOVE ON
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    so... I have an update to say. Spoke to someone i know who got to play with the evo and i trust this guy more then anyone. He said its insane. He loves his hero now but its laggy and the evo is just too quick to believe and keyboard is excellent to type on. So i went to the t-mobile store to play with the hd2 and the associate approached me and i said im not a customer, im just checking this out for my next phone the evo. And he laughed at me and said its only 3 things... And i was like "oh no you didnt" type and told him ive been selling sprint since i was 18 and man theres alot that that phone doesnt have the evo does and your 3g cant even touch 4g and its only been 1 year buildout. Lol his response telling me "oh well you can buy a kickstand for the hd2" and i said to him why buy it when i can watch hd youtube on 4g, with verizon roaming for free included, with a kickstand included all while doing a hey lookie there and video capturing it on 720p. Yeah, you just met your match buddy.

The keyboard on the hd2 is very large that its gunna take time to adjust comparing to the pre. I miss typed several times cause of the landscape mode and couldnt test portrait move cause of the security bracket. Camera is an improvement compared to the mogul (looks like htc got the idea with how many tep exchanges we did). One thing i loved on that phone which i never did on other phones is landscape browsing. I hated landscape browing on the pre cause it never gave me the full paragraph or so. And wow, just amazing how that browsing is. Lets just say i loved the phone so much i almost impulsed a line for t-mobile. Thank god i didnt or i would have went 5 years in the past in wireless technology. Worth the upgrade everyone
    dude take it from someone who has one!! The phone is insanely awesome!! You wont regret getting one i promise you...
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
    dude take it from someone who has one!! The phone is insanely awesome!! You wont regret getting one i promise you...
    I have to say this device is truly awesome. I haven't been this excited about a phone since I was first introduced to the treo 300 so many years ago. The iPhone 4 is nice but you are held back by ATT's plans. Sprint unlimited data let's you fly on this speed demon with no concerns about rationing your data usage. Skype is pretty cool too. Great when on trips. Hardware is top tier. Best communications device I've ever used.
    I played with the Evo yesterday sitting right next to a Pre.
    The difference in data speed was obvious.
    If you're within Wimax coverage, the browsing speed is amazing.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I have to say this device is truly awesome. I haven't been this excited about a phone since I was first introduced to the treo 300 so many years ago. The iPhone 4 is nice but you are held back by ATT's plans. Sprint unlimited data let's you fly on this speed demon with no concerns about rationing your data usage. Skype is pretty cool too. Great when on trips. Hardware is top tier. Best communications device I've ever used.
    Agreed.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast