View Poll Results: Who is switching to the EVO or going to wait it out?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm taking the EVO, bigger screen, better hardware.

161 43.75%
  • Not sure, I'll wait until I see more reviews of this phone.

92 25.00%
  • I'll wait until Palm releases something even better.

115 31.25%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    anyone know if this will have a landscape vk?
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Sorry palm but im sooooo getting the Evo when it comes out! I will be eligible for upgrade by then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    this is a task switcher:
    WebOS Skin for your Treo or Centro - Give your PalmOS device a webOS-style wave launcher and card interface with TealOS

Nobody can touch webOS for multitasking, go back to school...
    Alright i now you guys might get ****ed at me for saying this. But the iphone doesnt multi-task right? Yet someone or people made it so that the iphone could multi-task like WebOS but on an iphone. Im pretty sure that someone if not already can hack the android os to make it multi-task like the pre if some people wanted that, like me i would want the ability to view the apps i'm multi-tasking in cards view. Android can multi-task just not in the same way as the pre. I mean if you take a look at HTC's 2.1 sense UI it starting to adopt some characteristics of the WebOS, they have this thing, when your on the home screen you pinch and zoom out. and it takes you to a cards view of your seven home screens. Im not giving up on WebOS. Its just i love the hardware and the functionalities of the HTC EVO4G, and palm I think, doesnt really have a handset thats up to date with all the current phones. I mean mine runs kinda slow, and i sometime long for a bit bigger screen. i mean as long as the HTC EVO can multi-task thats fine. But Im just trying to point out that android can multi-task too, and if people want it to multi-task like the palm pre im pretty sure it will happen through a hack or something.
    Last edited by jred7o7; 03/24/2010 at 03:59 PM.
    I love all you Palm FanBoyz..yea you all know who are .This phone looks great it will not help out Palm at all. I love WebOs don't get me wrong, I just wish for better hardware. I will keep a eye on this but your Blind devotion is well........creepy....
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jred7o7 View Post
    I mean mine runs kinda slow, and i sometime long for a bit bigger screen.
    Mine runs laggy and just slow all around... even with the 1.4 update.. webOs needs to be a lot snappier for me to stay with the pre
    agreed
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    this is a task switcher:
    WebOS Skin for your Treo or Centro - Give your PalmOS device a webOS-style wave launcher and card interface with TealOS

Nobody can touch webOS for multitasking, go back to school...
    News flash Butters: all smartphones can multitask. Yes, even the iPhone can. What differentiates webos from the rest of the pack is how the multitasking is presented to the user. (this would be the card view) I think we might actually be on the same side of this argument (but using different words) - I'm just trying to point out that "multitasking" is not something unique to webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    News flash Butters: all smartphones can multitask. Yes, even the iPhone can. What differentiates webos from the rest of the pack is how the multitasking is presented to the user. (this would be the card view)
    agreed there too. But did you guys see this:

fast forward to 3:28

if someone can do this to an iphone, maybe this could be done to the HTC EVO?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    News flash Butters: all smartphones can multitask. Yes, even the iPhone can. What differentiates webos from the rest of the pack is how the multitasking is presented to the user. (this would be the card view) I think we might actually be on the same side of this argument (but using different words) - I'm just trying to point out that "multitasking" is not something unique to webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by jred7o7 View Post
    agreed there too. But did you guys see this:

fast forward to 3:28

if someone can do this to an iphone, maybe this could be done to the HTC EVO?
    Background apps is not mutli-tasking. webOS loads LIVE apps as well as background apps. Also this is stock on the phone, not hacked together.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 03/24/2010 at 04:29 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Background apps is not mutli-tasking. webOS loads LIVE apps as well as as well as background apps. Also this is stock on the phone, not hacked together.
    I agree with what your saying, im just saying that it can be done even if it is hacking. I want to switch to the HTC EVO, and I'm just speaking my opinion, be cause i dont really think the pre is the best hardware to display WebOS. I love WebOS, but my pre is to slow, always freezes, and sometimes leaves me wanting more. The thing ill miss when switching is the way that the WebOS lets me multitask seamlessly(i.e. cards), so if i can get a way to multi-task on the android similar to the way webos does it, even by means of hacking. I'll do it, and or take it.

(edit)Really its the hardware thats won me over. And the fact that this is android, i feel okay about switching, i think android is pretty decent, well especially since this HTC EVO comes with Sense UI 2.1 pretty cool how you can view all 7 howe screens by pinching and zooming out ,and seeing it in a "cards" type view.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Background apps is not mutli-tasking. webOS loads LIVE apps as well as background apps. Also this is stock on the phone, not hacked together.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "live" apps, but Android can run applications in the background that are "doing stuff" - even headless apps just like webos. So can windows mobile. So can Maemo. Technically the iPhone can do this too, they just restrict it so that only Apple apps can do this - not 3rd party apps. But the OS is capable of it.
    I can respect that, I too believe that the Pre is not the best device to Showcase webOS, Palm kind of missed the mark on the WOW hardware factor.

However I hardly ever find things that I wished my device was capable of now after 1.4. The only really missing, for me, was the ability to capture video. I do not need HD video from my phone. That is why I have a camcorder.

I use MyTether when I am on the go, so I am able use other WiFi devices with it, and I get good speeds. So, I am happy with that.

I am not sure what kind of Homebrew Community Android has but, one thing that attracted me to Palm has been there open platform going back to PalmOS Hacks. I am sure there is something out there, never had an Android phone so I cannot speak to that. Anyone?

Just the same as the Pre, realize the EVO is a v1.0 4G device. I am still waiting, my next phone may be a palm device, or not. It depends on what is available, so far I could not be happier with the capabilities of the Pre.

Just my 2 cents

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    i only know one person with a pre. and he sent me this

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM, ******** ********* <*********@****.com> wrote:

HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on -- Engadget

I'm getting this.

It's based and improves on the HD2 which is coming out soon on Verizon I think.
    as far as i know he doesn't read precentral, doesn't preware or homebrew and he's an average user. one example of the sentiment. And again he's the only other pre owner i know.
    I know, Palm is WAY behind in their game...

maybe but if to the lay person it accomplishes the same task does it matter. i pretty much only need to be able to do stuff listening to music and searching the web.

And personally i don't find myself using more then one app at a time often at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    its not real multitasking....when u hold the home button...it just shows u the last 6 apps thats uve used....in my honest opinion...thats not real multitasking...if u wanna call it multitasking thats ok...but not for me
    no, you're right, that's not real multitasking.

good thing nobody but you is confusing that with the real multitasking that android DOES do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr12 View Post
    anyone know if this will have a landscape vk?
    Yes and the keyboards have arrow keys!
    edit: **** i guess someone beat me to this point. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2329143 oh well. i typed it so i'm leaving it.

Sprint has a New Flagship phone too in the EVO i think. It may have been mentioned before but it also occured to me. Which means i think there is zero chance it's gonna get pushed much more by any carrier. AT&T is iphone, Verizon is Droid, and Sprint will soon be Evo. I don't see how it can't be considering the buzz and that it's annihilates the Pre spec wise and is on their fastest new service. That said blackberry isn't the flagship phone on any carrier and when it last was was probably the storm i think and it sucked. And RIMM seems to be ok. That said RIMM has like 30 phones to Palm's two. Regardless i think Palm Pre's will get a fraction of the scant attention they get now until a new handset comes out.
    It's our job to help with sales? Ummm...no. It's our job to find phones that best fit our needs. It's pAlm's job to build that phone and market it well. If Palm can't come to the table with good hardware, and it hasn't yet, then Android and the EVO are the future. No love lost. Palm lost all sort of loyalty when they went to the cloud. And now Palm customer service reps are telling customers syncing with google is bad and leaves the chance for your info to get lost. Screw'em if they can't keep up and just keep tripping over themselves. Not my job to be a spokesperson on here or anywhere else. Would rather be a realist and look out for what's best for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chadking View Post
    you know you don't help sales with posts and threads like this if I didn't have a pre and came here to research I wouldn't buy one I love this phone I'm glad I saw my coworker with one and liked it then came here for advice keep that in mind next time sense palm is always here for us why don't we back them up too
    Last edited by crogs571; 03/25/2010 at 12:14 PM.

it loads live apps, but at wat cost ? the pre runs slow, and believe me i do a luna restart almost twice a day. i love it i can load up multiple apps but unless you got the pre+ your boned in the **** in hardware. i saw the video of the evo and it runs perferct. i want a phone that is snappier and pretty much the evo pokes pre in the **** hole hardcore, unless palm gets it act together in a total of 4 months tops then i might buy another webos phone if not then oh well im off to androidcentral this summer.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast