View Poll Results: Who is switching to the EVO or going to wait it out?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm taking the EVO, bigger screen, better hardware.

161 43.75%
  • Not sure, I'll wait until I see more reviews of this phone.

92 25.00%
  • I'll wait until Palm releases something even better.

115 31.25%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jred7o7 View Post
    I dont know if you guys have seen sprints debut ad for the HTC EVO but i really dont think the way that they currently advertise their phones is good enough to get them to the top again they along with the way they advertise all of their phones needs serious adjusting or work. I mean the droid and iphone ads are most remembered by people so i dont know palm and sprint they just need better ad campaigns. so if you guys havent seen it here is the HTC EVO debut ad i guess:

Let me know what you guys think of it?
    I think that's a great ad, actually gives some specs and some of the features of the phone.
    yea but i mean it doesnt have like the simplicity of an iphone ad or the wow factor of a droid commercial. thats the only thing
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    One, that's not what you said. You said if Palm brought this out last year. It would've been impossible to bring this out last year, because of things such as what I already mentioned.

Two, the Evo 4G uses a soft touch plastic back, so I don't know why you're using 'cheap plastic' as a point against the Pre in this case.
    Clearly I've overestimated you since you decided to go the route of acting as if I was literally saying "Palm should have came out with a phone from 2010 in 2009". Next time I'll know better and be more specific when it comes to threads that I anticipate you will read.

Oh. And I'm not even going to bother explaining what I mean by calling the Pre "cheap plastic" since you have an arsenal of ridiculous excuses for why the Pre should be considered a "quality build".
    I truly believe webos is the best mobile os. The multitasking,the games,the gestures, flash, webos has it all. I'm not a fan of android, though the 2.1 is supposed to be nice. Still,i would buy that hardware with webos running on it in a heartbeat. If that phone was running webos, not andorid, it would be perfect. Please, palm, release a superphone like that!just call up htc and say"put webos on that instead" and I woukd be so happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    I truly believe webos is the best mobile os. The multitasking,the games,the gestures, flash, webos has it all. I'm not a fan of android, though the 2.1 is supposed to be nice. Still,i would buy that hardware with webos running on it in a heartbeat. If that phone was running webos, not andorid, it would be perfect. Please, palm, release a superphone like that!just call up htc and say"put webos on that instead" and I woukd be so happy.
    u have no idea how much i agree with u
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I think that's a great ad, actually gives some specs and some of the features of the phone.
    If that is a real add, they better get back to work. It looks cheap. I don't understand why people don't follow Apple or Droid type Ads. They work. You can't just display specs, you have to show people what they can do and why it is better than the rest.
    I think thats my new phone. I can live with android on a snapdragon with sense UI.
    Sorry Palm... might have a change of heart.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I dunno.... I kinda think this size would be too big for webos. It's such a gesture-intensive OS, having to cover such a large screen might get old/annoying/tiring after a while. (Or maybe not, who knows?)

But yeah, I think webOS works best when the gestures and navigation can be completed using only one hand. Anywhere from the Pixi's screen up to, say, the Nexus One's screen would probably work in this way. Beyond that, though, I think you'd be moving into two-handed territory (hold the phone in one hand, gesture with the other).

Many people already regularly two-hand navigate through webOS, so maybe this wouldn't be such a problem... But for others? I dunno how that would work out.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I dunno.... I kinda think this size would be too big for webos. It's such a gesture-intensive OS, having to cover such a large screen might get old/annoying/tiring after a while. (Or maybe not, who knows?)

But yeah, I think webOS works best when the gestures and navigation can be completed using only one hand. Anywhere from the Pixi's screen up to, say, the Nexus One's screen would probably work in this way. Beyond that, though, I think you'd be moving into two-handed territory (hold the phone in one hand, gesture with the other).

Many people already regularly two-hand navigate through webOS, so maybe this wouldn't be such a problem... But for others? I dunno how that would work out.
    I think you're on to something
  10. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I don't know why the size of the screen would make any difference in gesture usage. None of our WebOS gestures require sliding your thumb or finger ALL the way across the screen. Wanna bring up the launcher? Your finger really only needs to move about 3/4" up. Wanna toss a card? Same.

Nobody has touched on the possibility that this phone might lag a lot. I know, I know... 1ghz.... But let's not forget it's got a lot more processing to do than we're requiring of our Pres. It's got a lot more pixels to render. It's got a much higher data rate that needs processing to capture that video size. It's running widgets all the time. Etc.

Am I nuts to consider that or is it a valid concern?

xtn
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    People need to stop taking the fact that other Pre users wanting to switch to another phone as a personal offense. It's just a phone, take a deep breath and relax. The UI on Android is fine; it's not webOS but I don't think they care.

Me? I'll be picking up the Nexus One most likely if it's out sooner than this summer. My Pre refuses to sign into any Messaging accounts no matter how many Repair Utilities, Doctors, Full Erases and replacements I throw at it. That's a dealbreaker for my personal usage
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Nobody has touched on the possibility that this phone might lag a lot. I know, I know... 1ghz.... But let's not forget it's got a lot more processing to do than we're requiring of our Pres. It's got a lot more pixels to render. It's got a much higher data rate that needs processing to capture that video size. It's running widgets all the time. Etc.

Am I nuts to consider that or is it a valid concern?

xtn
    You're bloody crazy man. I think you're right to be a little skeptical of anything until we see it, however I don't think it's likely to have a lag problem. The Nexus One has the same CPU, same pixel count, same version of Android, etc, and it's quite snappy. The 4G is handled by a chip (hardware), so that's not going to bog it down. WiFi is faster than 4G and we've had WiFi on devices for years now with no ill effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by rldev View Post
    hardware and apps are a significant reason to choose Android.
    apps matter to me. probably more the the processor speed. and Webos don't have them and isn't getting them. They can release whatever hardware they want. They could release the evo with webos and fine it would be better but i'm not doing the crap app thing again. And i've got no interest in the beta phone thing anymore. i don't want toy for tech nerds to tinker with, i don't care about phanboi crusades against this os or for that os, i don't care how long apple to get whatever feature. I just want the best phone for me. What that is i don't know but it probably won't be a Palm phone a year and a few months from now.
    I find it funny that everyone is wetting there pants...

it is the greatest thing until the next new phone comes out.

NOT INTERESTED AT ALL

See you when you come back to webOS. Have fun gesturing (pointlessly) on your HTC, and not Multi-tasking.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post

See you when you come back to webOS. Have fun gesturing (pointlessly) on your HTC, and not Multi-tasking.
    Not multitasking, what you smokin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Not multitasking, what you smokin?
    its not real multitasking....when u hold the home button...it just shows u the last 6 apps thats uve used....in my honest opinion...thats not real multitasking...if u wanna call it multitasking thats ok...but not for me
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Gotta wait till it gets released and let the beginning bugs work out, by then hopefully Palm will have released something better.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    its not real multitasking....when u hold the home button...it just shows u the last 6 apps thats uve used....in my honest opinion...thats not real multitasking...if u wanna call it multitasking thats ok...but not for me
    I think most people would define "multi-tasking" as the ability to run more than 1 app at a time. In which case Android multi-tasks as well as any mobile os. What webos has is a fantastic task switcher. Best task switcher out there, bar none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    What webos has is a fantastic task switcher. Best task switcher out there, bar none.
    actually i admit ur right on that one..
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

this is a task switcher:
    WebOS Skin for your Treo or Centro - Give your PalmOS device a webOS-style wave launcher and card interface with TealOS

Nobody can touch webOS for multitasking, go back to school...
    Last edited by Butters3605; 03/24/2010 at 03:35 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.