View Poll Results: Who is switching to the EVO or going to wait it out?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm taking the EVO, bigger screen, better hardware.

161 43.75%
  • Not sure, I'll wait until I see more reviews of this phone.

92 25.00%
  • I'll wait until Palm releases something even better.

115 31.25%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Voice command has it's benefits but still need a real keyboard, and that too requires an open mind.
    Hopefully you didn't take that "open mind" thing as a slam. I meant "open mind" as acceptance as a newer, but not perfect, alternative to typing for special situations.

And as for keyboards. We definitely need keyboards but they don't necessarily have to be "physical" keyboards. It's a benefit to those who prefer it, but the trend to slabs hasn't suffered because of their reliance on "virtual" keyboards. I'm not a fan of the android virtual keyboard, but between iPhone and Pre then I could definitely type faster on the iPhone because of predictive text and the convenience of not having a drawer of tiny tiny pre keys. I'm sure most people here are the opposite but maybe that's the thing that will be Palm's niche.
    Heck yes I am jumping.

The one reason I got the palm pre was its multi-tasking. And that is getting worse and worse each update.

I bet now I would be lucky to open 2-3 website of engadget, without one of them having to reload when I come back to it. Point being, the one place where you want to multi-task the most (the web) and pages have to reload when you go back to them anyways, wasting anytime you might of saved multi-tasking.

In the end, to truly multi-task we are going to need some hardware like what is seen here. Plus sharing the 4g connection is just awesome.

How much do you think plans would be?

Right now its $70 for the cheapest simply everything. Think they will make it $80? Maybe as high as $100?
    nice knowin ya Palm....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    hey guys i have posted a poll in the other handsets forum , go vote for your guys decision, oh btw did you guys see that additional front facing 1.3 mp camera, video chat/calling anyone?

oh and here is my thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...17#post2326117
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    well google is pretty much putting a knife to palm's throat and forcing it to make a move. You got the Nexus and one and now the Evo coming to sprint. Palm NEEDS equivalent hardware. I would take that the EVO with WebOS on it over android any day.
    I doubt Google ever lost any sleep figuring out how to hurt Palm.

If anything the biggest beneficiary to this move is Sprint IF they can get it to market quickly because, unlike the Pre, this is a phone where desire will match the hype. I could see a lot of people switching to Sprint if they can get it out first.
    hahaha does Palm have the resources to make something as powerful as this??

i dunno, but im jumping...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Hw spec'd out like this with WebOS under the hood and Palm would have a winner!

However, I'll still wait to see what Palm unveils later this yr. I'm interested in the hw upgrade for Palm.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    im not sure if they would or wouldnt change the data plans but i read somewhere, i forget which website, but i hear sprint is trying to keep their prices affordable(i.e. under 100) and that the hotspot feature is an add-on. Also sprint might keep the any mobile plan and the 4g data plan may be unlimited, so lets all hope when sprint does launch their 4g nationwide we'll still all have affordable data plans, which would come in handy if palm were to launch that rumored phone that we all almost forgot about the c40, maybe it might be palms 4g phone.
    Absolutely no interest in switching to Android in this point. Maybe a few revisions down the line.

Don't get me wrong, the hardware is great, it'd just be a step back to me to go to Android.

It's nice that it has a larger battery than the HD2 though... 1230mAh would probably be guzzled by the WiMax radio (WiMax radios so far have been much more power-hungry than EVDO). Hopefully between the larger battery and a hopefully optimized radio, it'll be able to last at least as long as the Pre (which isn't even all that much to brag about anyway). Otherwise, there's going to be a lot of disappointed people among the few who have WiMax coverage.
    Man, I found a new love...

man sprint really needs to market their phones better, and i think this is a truly awesome phone, i cant lie, i mean i am a big palm fan, but i have to give credit to htc an sprint finally releasing a phone that is great. Hope this brings sprint back to the top 2!!! I think this phone can easily be titled as GREAT COMPETITION.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    hahaha does Palm have the resources to make something as powerful as this??

i dunno, but im jumping...
    Not anymore. If they did this last year then the Pre wouldn't be a punchline to a bad Bono joke. But as it is now then they're bleeding money, have excess inventory of last years phone and branched out in the wrong direction with the Pixi. Palm needs some major overhauling but that requires time and money. Two things Palm squandered.
    man what happened to my thread it got combined with this one?
    oh but btw my poll is added to this thread so its okay, i'm still curios to see what you guys will vote.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    Behind as an operating system? riiiight

Just watch one of the 800MHz patch videos to give you an idea of the Pre running fast. What can Android, as an OS, do that WebOS can't?
    I agree that it's definitely not behind as an OS. However, I've often felt that the screen space could be better utilized in webos. For me, the ideal UI would be Android (with multiple home screens, widgets, etc) but with a single button press or gesture, be able to call-up a card view where I could flip through running apps as in webos. This difference in UI philosophy would be more apparent on a big screen vs the Pre's screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Not anymore. If they did this last year then the Pre wouldn't be a punchline to a bad Bono joke. But as it is now then they're bleeding money, have excess inventory of last years phone and branched out in the wrong direction with the Pixi. Palm needs some major overhauling but that requires time and money. Two things Palm squandered.
    Because the Snapdragon and 4G chipsets were ready for production at the time.

Palm made the fastest device possible at the time. There were literally no chips faster than it ready for mass production yet.
    yea thats true you guys, but i have to ask IF palm gets good sales from their recent announcement of launching their devices on AT&T, do you think palm would attempt to launch new hardware before this year comes to a close or even sooner. Because right now i really dont think palm has enough resources at their disposal to create/launch a new device. Even though they really need one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Because the Snapdragon and 4G chipsets were ready for production at the time.

Palm made the fastest device possible at the time. There were literally no chips faster than it ready for mass production yet.
    The Pre was the hands down the best device of last year, the Evo may take the cake for this year however.

I dunno, It's only freakin' March, people. We've got a long wayyyy to go.

I for one am buying the Evo the minute it comes out. Keeping my pre though in case I can't stand Android. I tend to switch phones alot however, and will probably jump back to WebOS and Palm once they release the C40.
    The problem with the Android band wagon is that every week there will be a better phone announced. You will forever be chasing hardware specs. By the time the EVO actually rolls out there will be 2-3 phones announced that have better hardware than the EVO. Underneath it all is the same old sorry UI called Android.

Fragmentation will also be a problem with Android. Some Android phones will get updated to the latest version of Android and some wont.

With Palm or even Apple thats never an issue. You will always have the latest greatest.

For me the Superpsonic is a no go for the reasons I mentioned above as well as the lack of a physical keyboard, the screen is too large for me, and its not running WebOS.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I was watching a video of the EVO running flash content.... seamless. Those extra 400 mhz and 512mb of RAM help a lot. Though, it is not to say that Palm won't suprise us with something close to or better.

Heck, I don't think Palm has to 1 up it as far as hardware goes... the OS does that on its own.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    i'm getting the EVO even if it's just to try it. doesn't mean i won't be back to my pre. have to see how it goes. but the device on paper alone is enough to sell me.