View Poll Results: Who is switching to the EVO or going to wait it out?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm taking the EVO, bigger screen, better hardware.

161 43.75%
  • Not sure, I'll wait until I see more reviews of this phone.

92 25.00%
  • I'll wait until Palm releases something even better.

115 31.25%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Wow.

8Megapixel Camera with Flash
    1.3Megapixel Camera front-facing for video chat
    720p video
    4.3" Screen

I know some people pretend that their pants are so abnormally tight that they actually prefer the tiny pre screen, but imagine WebOS on hardware like this.... or just get this in the Summer and ignore all the people who act like Palm is being unfairly ignored. Quality hardware is important and unfortunately Palm ignored that 1st gen.
    wow- I can honestly say this phone is sweeeeeeeeet.

I showed my Brother (current Pre owner) and he likes to switch.

I on the other hand, need a keyboard. So ill just wait it out for the next Palm device.
    If Palm doesn't come out with someone comparable, here is why I will be getting the HTC EVO:

1. I have the Sprint Overdrive - it's still under the 30 days. I have 2 more weeks to decide to ditch the Overdrive, save $60/mo now and wait for the EVO.
    2. I have the Palm Pre - I LOVE this phone and the OS. LOVE IT. But alas, it's a cost savings issue with me. Even if I have to pay an extra $30 or $40/mo for the mobile hotspot, I still make out and have the ability to connect an additional 3 gadgets on top of the limited 5 that my Sprint Overdrive allows
    3. I want to get rid of my Comcast internet service. This is my main reason for getting the Sprint Overdrive. I was 90% sure I was going to keep the Sprint Overdrive and cancel comcast but now...well...now it's a different story.
    4. I have an iPod Touch. Yea, u know that commercial where a friend has the Overdrive and his friend has the iPhone. Yes, I want this connection for my iPod Touch.
    5. I can get rid of my MinoHD. EVO records at 720P - same as MinoHD and it's integrated with Twitter and Facebook, etc so record, edit, hit send, done. No need to sync.

Dear Palm: DO SOMETHING.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    wow

btw, I dont think I quite buy the idea of putting WebOS on these killer devices with huge screens. Can you imagine how much dead space you would have? Almost seems like the OS is made for a smaller screen (or at least, not something like 400 x 800, where the screen would only be filled when the app launcher was up). Hell, I can't even imagine running WebOS on this kind of kicky-fast device without feeling like it would be readily apparent just how behind it is as an operating system itself.
    hey guys i made a poll check it out its in the other handsets forum.
    What depresses me and I hope i can eat my own words but, I don't think the new palm device will have 8MP,720p,HDMI out, 4g
    My God, that home screen is a mess. I'll stick with my Pre thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's a money thing, lot cheaper to produce a phone without a physical keyboard.
    I suppose that makes sense plus elimination the whole moving parts quality control situation.

It would be nice if it was standard to at least include a BT accessory ability to add a wireless keyboard and give people the option of added expense.

That or integrate some sort of tactile response for a virtual keyboard so it isn't so clumsy...
    Got me doing what I said I'd never do... Gonna own two phones come October. Pre is nice, but the features on that phone are making me drool... Please Palm, partner up with HTC already! You're killing me here!
    yeah no kidding re: Palm contending.

there's no way Palm will release a 720 HDMI phone (this soon) in the game..

sadly, but true.

dammit I'm so used to a physical keyboard I cannot go Virtual Keyboard now
    I'm trying to imagine webOS on a 4.3" screen. That'd be some serious thumb wrestling. :P But its probably me too used to the small Pre form factor.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The way the guy struggled trying to type a simple message on the virtual keyboard is the reason I can't do a phone like that.

For text messaging it may be OK, but that just doesn't go if you need to type a business-related email or something.

Why are so many phones without a hardware keyboard? Is it a size thing?
    Maybe voice command is the future and keyboards are becoming outdated on mobile phones.

You see the microphone button on keyboard? Google voice commands is supposedly VERY impressive so if you really need to shoot out a text/email or whatever then hit that button and dictate.

At first I resisted but with properly implemented predictive text (or options like voice command) it's not so bad. Obviously this all requires an open mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    What depresses me and I hope i can eat my own words but, I don't think the new palm device will have 8MP,720p,HDMI out, 4g
    This is my fear. I want a WebOS device to be my next phone this summer, but without specs like the Evo 4G, I'll have to jump ship.

This new device is simply any technophiles wet dream
    yea guys i know if only there were only a Palm device with those specs, i mean the screen doesnt have to be that big but a bigger screen would be nice. I hope palm has something big under the works. But would any one of you guys need a actual qwerty kb or would the bigger screen satisfy you enough with a accurate virtual keyboard?

(edit) and guys please vote I'm curious on your answers
    Voice command has it's benefits but still need a real keyboard, and that too requires an open mind.
    well google is pretty much putting a knife to palm's throat and forcing it to make a move. You got the Nexus and one and now the Evo coming to sprint. Palm NEEDS equivalent hardware. I would take that the EVO with WebOS on it over android any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    wow

btw, I dont think I quite buy the idea of putting WebOS on these killer devices with huge screens. Can you imagine how much dead space you would have? Almost seems like the OS is made for a smaller screen (or at least, not something like 400 x 800, where the screen would only be filled when the app launcher was up). Hell, I can't even imagine running WebOS on this kind of kicky-fast device without feeling like it would be readily apparent just how behind it is as an operating system itself.
    Behind as an operating system? riiiight

Just watch one of the 800MHz patch videos to give you an idea of the Pre running fast. What can Android, as an OS, do that WebOS can't?
    I was just watching the video recording on the evo and it reminds me of my pre's video recorder layout. BUt i have to say htc did a good job, i mean the whole time the guy was browsing throughout the phone i really didn't notice any significant drag, and it was pretty snappy. oh and just to mention it, did you guys hear them say front facing 1.3 camera in the front and 8 megapixel on the back, video calling anyone?
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Nice little touch with the flip-stand for when you want to watch video...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Maybe voice command is the future and keyboards are becoming outdated on mobile phones.

You see the microphone button on keyboard? Google voice commands is supposedly VERY impressive so if you really need to shoot out a text/email or whatever then hit that button and dictate.

At first I resisted but with properly implemented predictive text (or options like voice command) it's not so bad. Obviously this all requires an open mind.
    I'm too often in a situation where it's too noisy to dictate something like an entire email. Voice commands I've used and can usually get those to work in less than silent situations.

Still, it's a matter of personal use, so it will vary from person to person. But I had an Instinct for a year (obviously not the most advanced device), and the onscreen keyboard frustrated me to no end. Having to basically stare at the screen to type a simple sentence is really annoying.

I can see the cost issue on a middle of the road device, but for the $600 flagship phone, give me a darn keyboard.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast