Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am I right in assuming the Pre will be able to connect to the Overdrive in the same way?

New Sprint ad shows iPhone using WiMAX... via Overdrive -- Engadget
    Last edited by bdubdrum; 03/21/2010 at 04:24 AM.
    "can theoretically enable any WiFi-capable phone to surf on WiMAX"

So, yes. But, I'm curious why they wouldn't show one of their phones in addition to the Pre. I mean, if you are claiming that multiple devices can hook up to the box, SHOW THAT. I understand the desire to show that an iphone can connect, but to leave your own smartphone out of the shot, is pretty dumb.
    I really can't believe they made that ad... another carrier saying the iphone is COOL! lol.

they are completely off target in creating this ad... they obviously do not care about their own customers... they obviously are trying to attract the Apple owners just like Verizon is trying to take a bite of the iPad user with their mifi ads.

But to use the iphone as a reason to get the 4g connection? lol.

For a phone and compared to the phones on other networks, iphone doesnt need it. Recent articles are showing that ATT has a faster data network than the others. From my own experience and with my buddies using the Droid and Pre on other networks here in south fla, ATT is consistently faster over here.

An iphone owner or any other smartphone owner is not going to get a mifi and pay the extra data to use on their phone. silly.

They should have created the ad just like verizon specifically pointint out that will be a big speed difference to use on the wifi only ipads.

This ad was much better looking visually then most of their others... but again wasted a lot of money not aiming at their real target... the potential millions of ipad owners and those people will miss the message.

all they did was hurt their phone sales by saying the iphone is COOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    "can theoretically enable any WiFi-capable phone to surf on WiMAX"

So, yes. But, I'm curious why they wouldn't show one of their phones in addition to the Pre. I mean, if you are claiming that multiple devices can hook up to the box, SHOW THAT. I understand the desire to show that an iphone can connect, but to leave your own smartphone out of the shot, is pretty dumb.
    I think there right on point att with a faster network mabye down south but sayin it dosent need it is wrong imo 4g is way faster then 3g and there's millons of iphone users that can benefit from it
    dont think of it in an iphone perspective then... using your pre and even though you pay less for service than i do on my iphone... having adequate performance on your phone... does that ad make you say i need that extra speed and want to go out and get the 4g mifi and pay the extra data ($50 per month?) so that you can have that extra speed?

Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    I think there right on point att with a faster network mabye down south but sayin it dosent need it is wrong imo 4g is way faster then 3g and there's millons of iphone users that can benefit from it
    and checking reviews... limited 4G so in 3G mode 1.3megabits to 2? 4megabits if you find yourself in 4G areas? I am easily hitting that 1.3-2 in my area. i hit 3 in one spot all the time. and these phones are capable of 7.2 once it gets rolled out... whenever that is again... a waste targeting phones.

Review: Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G mobile hotspot €“ Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com
    Last edited by donm527; 03/21/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    Pre as well as other wifi devices do connect to the overdrive. The overdrive is pretty cool, I have one.
    to bad 4g isn't in California yet.
    i think it's funny how whenever sprint or palm comes out with a new ad, everyone on here are the first to bash on it.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Think about it.

Why show your own phones? It only shows that you need this device to get fast speeds. Instead show a competitor's phone using the device to speed up their device on SPRINTS network.

You looked at the commercial wrong.
    but the iphone doesnt need the sprint network... ATT network is getting press showing it's faster already...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...s-competitors/

AT&T faster than Verizon, Sprint in 3G wireless performance test - USATODAY.com

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18959...ance_test.html

and many more references to the article.

And if you are going to use a competitor's phone, you don't call it COOL. Especially if you have never called your own phones cool.

Again, no one is going to buy this to boost their cell phone... think about if they used a droid or blackberry or a non labeled phone... the ad wouldnt work. take the iphone out of the equation and people would immediately ask, "why would i get one for my one cell phone?" Do I need to spend $50 a month for it? For a laptop or iPad or tablet maybe.

All they did was tell the world the iphone is COOL. They should have used a tablet.

think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    Think about it.

Why show your own phones? It only shows that you need this device to get fast speeds. Instead show a competitor's phone using the device to speed up their device on SPRINTS network.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    i think it's funny how whenever sprint or palm comes out with a new ad, everyone on here are the first to bash on it.
    most of the palm users here are kool aid drinkers lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    Think about it.

100% right my friend, Its not saying the iphone is so cool its saying look at what sprint can do.
    "oh your iphones still on slow 3g ATT well here sprints got some kickass 4g to spare."

they are trying to make the point that there network is better without having to get into any claim disputes over it, I think its cleaver and I congratulate sprint for having the balls to do it.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    They should have used an Apple MacBook Pro if they wanted to kiss some Apple bootay and not have to call the iphone COOL.

Using a MacBook they can show how super fast their Apple product is and hope for some business once the ipad comes out. If you do not see that this is an advertisement to directly counter Verizon trying to get ipad customers then... oh well

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/10/veriz...ata-ipad-mifi/

Again, who is going to pay $50 a month more to use with their phone?

Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    100% right my friend, Its not saying the iphone is so cool its saying look at what sprint can do.
    "oh your iphones still on slow 3g ATT well here sprints got some kickass 4g to spare."

they are trying to make the point that there network is better without having to get into any claim disputes over it, I think its cleaver and I congratulate sprint for having the balls to do it.
    That commercial is perfect for what it's supposed to be. Sprint's future is it's network which is no longer a phone network, but is being designed to be a ubiquitous high speed data network.

Their future won't be the number of phone subscribers, but instead the number of people who use it for data services. That's who this is targeting, that's one of their key growth area's and one of the key advantages sprint has over it's competition.

I applaud them for leading with a commercial that immediately attacks AT&T at their weakest point, their network.
    this is totally intelligent marketing. They are trying to sell this product. Iphone is the biggest market of smartphones. More people can associate with anything compatible with the Iphone. So, you sell to the biggest market and tell them you have a more affordable plan. IPhone users aren't the most intelligent of people. They need everything spelled out for them. So, if you say it's Iphone compatible they don't have to do much thinking. If you say it's compatible to any smartphone, the Iphone users will ask, does that mean it's Iphone compatible.
    Well... the Ad is not Palm related anyways...

I agree with DingWall1 in that it would have been nice if they used a Palm somewhere in the ad. Give Palm some free air advertising and maybe help sell a palm or two.

Just goes to show where Sprint using it's advertising dollars on everything else but Palm and could have given Palm some really free airtime by showing a group of young adults with their Pre and Pixi all sharing the overdrive and doing different things and showing the OS screen loading stuff like one streaming music, the other streaming video, etc and showing how fun and COOL the Pre is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
    IPhone users aren't the most intelligent of people. They need everything spelled out for them. So, if you say it's Iphone compatible they don't have to do much thinking. If you say it's compatible to any smartphone, the Iphone users will ask, does that mean it's Iphone compatible.
    those silly iphone users, lol... not like Pre owners right Presmurf?

btw... you didnt by chance actually read the OP original question... did you?

Quote Originally Posted by bdubdrum View Post
    Am I right in assuming the Pre will be able to connect to the Overdrive in the same way?
    Well, as one of those not so smart iPhone users, I found the ad to be very complimentary. I saw Sprint saying that the coolest phone they could demonstrate the 4G network was one they don't even sell. It was almost like a love letter to Apple to please let Sprint carry the iPhone. As it happens, Sprint has, with this ad, found a way to sell iPhones. That will surely be the net result of this campaign. How bizarre will it be to see a bunch of iPhones in Sprint stores. Next, Sprint will be selling iPhone accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Well, as one of those not so smart iPhone users, I found the ad to be very complimentary. I saw Sprint saying that the coolest phone they could demonstrate the 4G network was one they don't even sell.
    More accurately, a phone Sprint will never see on it's phone list. Apple's in this business to make money, not to prop up 3rd-rate, failing companies.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast