1.    #1  
    Details at PalmInfoCenter.

Another sign that the T650C will make it to the US. (Though Sony might also want to whack HandSpring's new Treo 90 at the same time.)

However, if you don't care about MP3 playing capability and double the processor speed, I can testify that the T615C is a mighty fine PDA. I'm not planning to trade up anytime soon.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I loved the T-615c when I had it. The T650 looks like its going to follow the T-615 in great styling but include a much better screen. I hear that the reds are much truer now.

I am most curious on how Sony has the T-650 manage and 66mhz processor and an mp3 player.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I loved the T-615c when I had it. The T650 looks like its going to follow the T-615 in great styling but include a much better screen. I hear that the reds are much truer now.

I am most curious on how Sony has the T-650 manage and 66mhz processor and an mp3 player.
    Does anyone know if the T650 uses a secondary audio processor to handle the MP3/ATRAC playback, as was the case with the 7XX series? If it does, how the heck did they fit it into what was already a really small package?
    What do you think, Sirs?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by critic
    Does anyone know if the T650 uses a secondary audio processor to handle the MP3/ATRAC playback, as was the case with the 7XX series? If it does, how the heck did they fit it into what was already a really small package?
    They must have to include it into the T650 (same as the T615) footprint -- there's just the earplug jack on the side of the T650.

How? Well, they're Sony. I think the big question will be, how do they keep the battery from being used up in 20 minutes?
    Jeff Meyer

I know that one space saving trick Sony pulled was to get Texas Instruments to put the hardware for the MemoryStick port into the new 66mhz Dragonball chip. Think the space they saved by having the MemoryStick hardware onboard the central CPU allowed them to add in thier MP3/ATRAC decoder chip?
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
    Perfect timing because I'm buying one for a gift! Is Sony my only shopping option? As of yet, Best Buy hasn't dropped it's price though Amazon may have. I'd rather buy it in person. And before Father's Day!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by pel in chicago
    Perfect timing because I'm buying one for a gift! Is Sony my only shopping option? As of yet, Best Buy hasn't dropped it's price though Amazon may have. I'd rather buy it in person. And before Father's Day!
    Circuit City is selling them (at least on-line) at the $100 off price. (BestBuy isn't, apparently.) I also think that Amazon.com is selling them at the reduced price.
    Jeff Meyer

I'm happy to say I ordered it, got it fast, and have given to Dad for early Father's Day to replace his failing Palm III. Thanks for the heads up info on the price drop.
    If all goes right, tomorrow afternoon I will buy a T615c at Best Buy and it will be charging when I go to work tomorrow night.

My dad somehow is on Best Buy's mailing list, and gets occasional 'Preffered Customer Weekend' Sales coupons - one of them is 10% off any PDA $299 and up (and shows the t-615c as an example of what you can buy). I am going to go to Best Buy tomorrow, the first day of the three-day sale, and use this coupon to get my Sony for $269.99. I have about $22 left on a gift card from christmas, so that will bring the price down to $249. Throw in the $25 mail-in rebate on all PDA's, and the price will go to an even lower $225. And about half of this is going to be graduation gift money, so I am going to get a Sony T-615c for about $100 - yeah!

Now all I need to do is to find someone who wants to trade a Visor Stowaway for an IR keyboard...

Edit: It's official - I have converted.
    Last edited by terrysalmi; 06/21/2002 at 11:45 AM.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro