Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    apparently the nexus one has only sold 114,000 phones in 74 days!!!! GO PALM!
    apparently the only way to get a nexus one is paying full price through Google themselves, unlike the Pre that its in all Sprint and Verizon booths including various shopping sites and still struggles with sales.... Nexus One is doing fine

Im all for Palm but lets get our facts straight
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    OK, but you're comparison isn't fair. The fact that it sold 114k phones without being available for anyone to try in any store says something.

The N1 is an interesting experiment to determine if phone makers can produce a phone for sale with very little help from the networks. That number is not comparable to any other phone sold in the US. There's no other phone that sells the way that it does. So it's hard for it to be meaningful.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I'm all for Palm too, but let's give credit where credit is due; the Nexus is a worthy phone. If I didn't have a Pre, I'd have a Nexus okay I'd have a BlackBerry 9700, but if I didn't have a Pre or a BlackBerry 9700, I'd have a Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I'm all for Palm too, but let's give credit where credit is due; the Nexus is a worthy phone. If I didn't have a Pre, I'd have a Nexus okay I'd have a BlackBerry 9700, but if I didn't have a Pre or a BlackBerry 9700, I'd have a Nexus
    This brings up an interesting question?

What would everyone have if not the Pre?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Isn't it easier to go online and purchase something, as apposed to getting in your car, possibly waiting in line at the store, waiting to get help, dealing with poor sales people and purchaseing something in the store. Purchasing something online is easier and more abundant. It's online shopping, people love online shopping. Is the argument that a majority of phone purchases are done in store?? I had to order my pre online and hardly visit phone stores, so maybe I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    Isn't it easier to go online and purchase something, as apposed to getting in your car, possibly waiting in line at the store, waiting to get help, dealing with poor sales people and purchaseing something in the store. Purchasing something online is easier and more abundant. It's online shopping, people love online shopping. Is the argument that a majority of phone purchases are done in store?? I had to order my pre online and hardly visit phone stores, so maybe I'm wrong.
    I think you're right in part, but the main thing is that if a phone can be made part of a deal with a carrier like Sprint, then they subsidize it in which case the buyer (you and me) pays less. In the case of the Nexus One, it is not subsidized and can't be made part of any offer or promotion by Sprint, Verizon etc - which means less advertising and a higher purchase price.
    Last edited by SqyArc; 03/17/2010 at 07:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    apparently the nexus one has only sold 114,000 phones in 74 days!!!! GO PALM!
    Wasn't it only available for t-mobile at first? That would supress sales even more than launching exclusively on Sprint. No offense to those customers, they just don't have a huge customer base and few will switch to those smaller carriers just for a cool phone... Remember the SideKick? Even Paris Hilton couldn't make that a best seller...
    Normally, I'd point out that this is a silly comparison, but people around here could use something to take potshots at and cheer themselves up. If Nexus One gotta be the victim, so be it...
    I could of sworn is available subsidized by tmobile...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    It is. Not sure why folks have missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I could of sworn is available subsidized by tmobile...
    yep, it's $179 with a shiny new t-mobile contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    It is. Not sure why folks have missed that.
    There's confusion because you actually have to buy the phone from Google and then purchase a contract through T-Mobile.

So that's the contrast of walking into a Sprint store and buying a Pre or walking into a Verizon store and buying a Droid.

I guess the point is that the N1 loses the added sales from people that just go to a store to buy a phone because they won't see it there. That said, I have no idea if the phone is still advertised at all in the stores, but either way it still takes a hit because of that.
    in my opinion, then, it's a completely fair comparison. People know how to go online and buy stuff. it's 2010.
    You're right about T-Mobile - sorry for not getting my facts straight
    yes but the only way to buy the phone currently is through Googles website through T-Mobile. Now its available to AT&T and its coming to verizon next week and should be available in stores so wait and see that. I mean bashing a phone thats awsome is not cool The Nexus One at the moment is the best Android phone on the market so that doesn't surve its justice. I know I will probably get bashed on this site for this but if the Nexus One was available through Sprint I would be dumping my Pre.
    OP mentions the Droid in the thread title, but talks about Nexus One's sales figures. Did you mean ANdroid, the operating system, and not the phone Droid? Because the Droid sold a crapload more than N1. And the Android OS is growing much more ubiquitous than WebOS , even without the N1.

Regardless, I think silly cellphone fanboyism is lame. It's just a piece of equipment.
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Why is having to purchase the phone through googles website a hinderance? I don't understand that logic. Here, i found the website to buy the phone in two min. 179 bucks through tmobile:

https://www.google.com/phone/choose?hl=en&gl=US&s7e=

It would take me 30 min or so to find and get to the nearest sprint or verizon store.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    Why is having to purchase the phone through googles website a hinderance?
    Because, as with the Pre, the online web experience of the phone is dramatically different than real world experience. I will not buy another phone without having played with one in person first. And honestly, I'll probably make use of some part of a 30 day trial before I do so.

I would love to *play* with a Nexus One to see if it's something that I might actually like:
    1. Is it as snappy as the online experience makes it out to be? Or does the online representation hide lagginess?
    2. How does the virtual keyboard work for me?
    3. How many things can I push it to do before it runs into problems?
    4. How does it feel in the hand? During a phone call?
    5. What's the hardware build feel like? Is the screen smooth? Does it capture fingerprints like crazy? How bright is the screen?
    6. etc

I just am not able to tell how well it works in practice looking only online. If I'm going to plunk down >$500 for a phone, I need to play with it first. And if after a few days, I discover that I really dislike the phone, I need a mechanism by which I can return it with minimal hassle.

IMHO $529 price tag w/out the ability to play with it before hand, and with major hassle if you want to return it is the reason that it's only sold 114k units. Frankly, the fact that it's sold 114k units despite this is pretty impressive to me.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    second mu7efcer opinion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast