Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    I'm not trying to be antagonistic by asking. I'm genuinely curious what others think because it seems like on these boards that the response to every competing phone is "well, we can multitask". But as someone whose multitasking experience has ranged from good (WebOS), bad (winmo) & none (iphone) then I just don't find it to be a dealbreaker.

    Don't get me wrong. Multitasking is an important feature, but multitasking on a phone isn't the same as on a desktop. I have a 24" monitor connected to a 15" Macbook Pro. So not only can I have 7 progs open, I can SEE them all at once. Aperture, photoshop and finder on 24" and tweetie, skype, aim, firefox, itunes movie on the 15".

    But what about my Pre? I can have web, email, text and twee all open at once, but only one is visible at a time. Sure I can switch between apps without closing them, but a friend challenged me so we speed tested the process against his iPhone 3GS and the extra speed has him keeping up with no problem.

    Obviously multitasking is better than using one app at a time. But should it really be the "go to defense" for WebOS? Because multitasking mediocre apps isn't better than one-tasking several great ones IF the phone is fast enough to make it seamless.

    This is my opinion of course. Feel free to share yours.
  2. #2  
    WebOS isn't special because it can multitask - it's special because of how easy it is to multitask compared with its competitors.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    WebOS isn't special because it can multitask - it's special because of how easy it is to multitask compared with its competitors.
    +1
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    For me multitasking is a dealbreaker - but I really think that it's 2010 and every commercial OS (mobile or otherwise) should be capable of multitasking. WebOS isn't special because it can multitask - it's special because of how easy it is to multitask compared with its competitors.
    Agreed.

    With the WebOs, the card feature changes everything. Pseudo multitasking on Iphone, Android, and Windows Phone 7, just doesn't seem to cut it for quick access to apps. Sure, saving the state of the program is nice, but to me it is just a 1/2 inch band-aid on a 1 foot gash.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  5. #5  
    its overrated till the iPhone gets it... then people will think its a godsend
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  6. #6  
    I think that the point made above about it's implementation is key. Yes, the iPhone is fast, so is the Droid. I have used both phone, but nothing is easier than going to card view and swiping over.
  7.    #7  
    Great opinions, but what apps is everyone finding a need to switch between so badly? To me, multitasking is most valuable when you have multiple apps worth keeping open for extended periods. But other than text then I tend to shut down apps not in use because they poll data, drain battery or steal memory.

    I'd say the best example for making multitasking essential is Gaming. Quitting a game to do a quick text is ridiculous (but ironically I can do that on Pre but don't play games due to screen size.)

    but overall I agree. Palm got multitasking perfect. I guess I just wish there were better apps worth keeping open.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    Great opinions, but what apps is everyone finding a need to switch between so badly? To me, multitasking is most valuable when you have multiple apps worth keeping open for extended periods. But other than text then I tend to shut down apps not in use because they poll data, drain battery or steal memory.

    I'd say the best example for making multitasking essential is Gaming. Quitting a game to do a quick text is ridiculous (but ironically I can do that on Pre but don't play games due to screen size.)

    but overall I agree. Palm got multitasking perfect. I guess I just wish there were better apps worth keeping open.
    Aaah this is telling Different users use their devices in different ways - if you're a open-one-app-then-swipe-it-away-then-open-another-app kinda guy (or gal) then sure, you may as well use an iPhone, BlackBerry, Android or other phone.

    For me, I use multitasking so that I can browse multiple websites simultaneously, while listening to my music, while having 4 chat windows on the go (using the excellent New Card Per Conversation patch), and then maybe open an email or check my tasks list. It really doesn't matter that there aren't lots of killer third party apps, because I use multitasking extensively just within the core, built-in apps on the phone.

    So you're right in that it depends on how you use your phone - I do tend to flick between apps a lot and WebOS is the only real mobile OS that allows me to easily do this without becoming frustrated.
  9. #9  
    I think the problem is that a lot of people see multitalking as really "doing a lot of things at the same time" where for me it's more of a "using time the device needs to complete a task for something else"

    It doesn't really matter how fast the iphone (for ex.) is to load an app when you still have to wait for several seconds to load the content - especially if it's an application that uses cloud services that tend to take some time.

    With WebOS you open the app and let it load it's content in the background knowing that you will get a notification when it's ready.

    Best examples for me are Preware that naturally takes a while to process the big number of feeds ant the number of great news-feed readers.
    If your device multitasks you do somthing else, if it doesn't, you wait - and there is no fast apploadingtime in the world saving you.

    So yes, no multitask is a dealbreaker for me too
  10. #10  
    listen to pandora or slacker while checking email or browsing the web or using X navigation app..whether or not one considers this multitasking or just the ability to have things working in the background, if a phone can't do this (iPhone, not sure about WP7S), I wouldn't want it
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Aaah this is telling Different users use their devices in different ways - if you're a open-one-app-then-swipe-it-away-then-open-another-app kinda guy (or gal) then sure, you may as well use an iPhone, BlackBerry, Android or other phone.

    For me, I use multitasking so that I can browse multiple websites simultaneously, while listening to my music, while having 4 chat windows on the go (using the excellent New Card Per Conversation patch), and then maybe open an email or check my tasks list. It really doesn't matter that there aren't lots of killer third party apps, because I use multitasking extensively just within the core, built-in apps on the phone.

    So you're right in that it depends on how you use your phone - I do tend to flick between apps a lot and WebOS is the only real mobile OS that allows me to easily do this without becoming frustrated.
    This is exactly how I roll.... also, if I want to copy and paste something from my email and text it and then go back to the email and copy something else... very quick.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  12. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    I'm not trying to be antagonistic by asking. I'm genuinely curious what others think because it seems like on these boards that the response to every competing phone is "well, we can multitask". But as someone whose multitasking experience has ranged from good (WebOS), bad (winmo) & none (iphone) then I just don't find it to be a dealbreaker.

    Don't get me wrong. Multitasking is an important feature, but multitasking on a phone isn't the same as on a desktop. I have a 24" monitor connected to a 15" Macbook Pro. So not only can I have 7 progs open, I can SEE them all at once. Aperture, photoshop and finder on 24" and tweetie, skype, aim, firefox, itunes movie on the 15".

    But what about my Pre? I can have web, email, text and twee all open at once, but only one is visible at a time. Sure I can switch between apps without closing them, but a friend challenged me so we speed tested the process against his iPhone 3GS and the extra speed has him keeping up with no problem.

    Obviously multitasking is better than using one app at a time. But should it really be the "go to defense" for WebOS? Because multitasking mediocre apps isn't better than one-tasking several great ones IF the phone is fast enough to make it seamless.

    This is my opinion of course. Feel free to share yours.
    You're not really multitasking on a computer, the computer is multitasking by itself. Your eyes are only focused on one window at a time and you only interact with one window at a time so it doesn't matter how big your screen is. Can you type an instant message and read a blog at the same time on your big computer screen? Nope, the human brain can not read and write at the same time, or read two things at once, or do any other two high level cognitive thinking at once. Both apps may be open but you interact with only one app at a time. The only thing a big screen allows is for the user to switch focus between apps quickly, which is what the pre's cards system also allows on a small screen.

    As for your speed test with your friend, open up a 3d game (asphalt 5 free will do) and the messaging app on your pre and switch back and forth. The 3gs will have to reload the 3d game every time you switch and you have to constantly drill back to the home screen while you can do one swipe full screen app switching on the pre.

    For me, the important part about multitasking is that apps are allowed to work for you in the background. If you don't have apps working for you in the background, then you aren't fully using the multitasking ability. You can have your pre working in the background for stocks, weather, location reminders, streaming music, sales, etc. And more and more will come as multitasking becomes more popular on smartphones. Because my phone is always with me and can run these apps in the background, multitasking on my phone is actually more important than multitasking on my computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp
    I think the problem is that a lot of people see multitalking as really "doing a lot of things at the same time" where for me it's more of a "using time the device needs to complete a task for something else"

    It doesn't really matter how fast the iphone (for ex.) is to load an app when you still have to wait for several seconds to load the content - especially if it's an application that uses cloud services that tend to take some time.

    With WebOS you open the app and let it load it's content in the background knowing that you will get a notification when it's ready.

    Best examples for me are Preware that naturally takes a while to process the big number of feeds ant the number of great news-feed readers.
    If your device multitasks you do somthing else, if it doesn't, you wait - and there is no fast apploadingtime in the world saving you.

    So yes, no multitask is a dealbreaker for me too
    +1

    I also do this a lot too. Load one app in the background while using another.
    Last edited by spare; 03/16/2010 at 05:09 PM.
  13. #13  
    Once Palm gets their OS on better & faster hardware joined with a phone company that can shoot Voice and Data simultaneously, that's when Multitasking with WebOS will really shine.
  14. #14  
    +1 To the idea of browsing multiple websites. I love being able to open up multiple Web browser windows, and then have them loading when I'm reading a loaded card.

    Besides its not just the speed...its the fact that your OS isn't limiting your ability to fluidly move around as you want...just tell your buddy that its ok, the iphone doesn't know it runs an inferior OS.
  15. #15  
    I didn't appreciate multi-tasking until I got the pre...now I don't think I can have a phone that can't do it. No, I don't keep multiple cards open all the time, but I often check scores on espn or check the stock market, while responding to an email. Then I get a text and bam...I click on the notification and respond to that. Then I go back and see the score update on espn! Never thought I NEEDED to be able to do all this on a phone, but now I have the pre and I don't think I can go without it! Then again, about 15 years ago, I didn't really think I needed a cell phone...10 years ago, I didn't think I needed the internet on my cell phone, 5 years ago I didn't think I needed music on my cell phone, 3 years ago, I thought a windows mobile cell phone (HTC touch) had everything I needed in a cell...Can't wait to see what comes next, hopefully with the next palm phone ;-)
  16. #16  
    if anything, its underrated...
  17. #17  
    I disagree .... it's rated just right. ;-)
  18. #18  
    It's not unusual for me to have the media player going in the background while I'm texting and or emailing and checking the mail. I lived without it, but now that I've had the convenience of it I don't think I could go back. Truly it's something you have to experience to really appreciate it. It's so easy and makes things so much simpler.
  19. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    Great opinions, but what apps is everyone finding a need to switch between so badly? To me, multitasking is most valuable when you have multiple apps worth keeping open for extended periods. But other than text then I tend to shut down apps not in use because they poll data, drain battery or steal memory.

    I'd say the best example for making multitasking essential is Gaming. Quitting a game to do a quick text is ridiculous (but ironically I can do that on Pre but don't play games due to screen size.)

    but overall I agree. Palm got multitasking perfect. I guess I just wish there were better apps worth keeping open.
    I find it most useful when using Checkbook. Multitasking makes it extremely easy to balance my checking account, open Checkbook, calculator and my banks site and I'm done. With other non-multitasking phones you end up needing pen and paper to write down stuff from the banks site before exiting and going to your account app.

    Other than that I just find myself using m-t in every day normal circumstances - browsing the web and being able to reply to an important email with ease - I guess that's more of a complement to how m-t is implement though.
  20. #20  
    It's only overrated to anyone who does not a webOS platform and is jealous, lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions