Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Other than the sheer ease of switching, copy/paste, etc, I find it most evident in the car, when I can listen to Pandora or an audiobook while using Sprint Nav. Then when a call comes in, I can answer it (pausing my audio) and when I hang up the audio picks back up - and Nav is still working.
    The best feature of multitasking is not having to close something you are doing in order to address something...usually a notification of an incoming call or email or text message. There are many other scenarios for me, that includes driving with GoogleMaps/Trapster and DrPodder on, while keeping an email or SMS up so that its there when I reach my destination. More examples, like the gamer who needs to reply to a quick SMS or the person who needs to look up a contact to give to a friend (either via email, SMS, or whilst on the phone). Closing an app is not the ideal way to handle another task, IMO.
    can't imagine not having it.
    - working on other things, then preware alerts me when it's done updating feeds
    - same for drpodder
    - talking on phone, check grocery list, look up an email the person asked me about, etc.
    - often look up something on a web page while running newsroom and chatting
    - then back to my game of Castle of Magic that picks up right where I left off

etc, etc. countless other examples. The card metaphor is really nice on a touchscreen/gesture device.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    After I played with webOS I realized that I would never be happy with something like the iPhone or Touch that require you to go to the home key to switch apps. Whenever I play with my wife's Touch I just go bananas.

There are two things about webOS that make multi-tasking a pleasurale experience:

1) Cards: allow you to go back and forth between different apps. iPhone OS is really awkward because to switch apps you have to essentially quit one and launch another. That is just unnatural for me. I am a Mac user with dual displays with probably an average of 15 windows open at a time. I don't use tabs in web browsers -- I want to have a window for everything I am working on. The webOS card metaphor is 100% compatible with how I work on multiple things.

2) Background apps: allow you to stream music while you are doing something else. You can also stay logged into IM, be downloading an application from the app store, uploading a YouTube video, etc.

WebOS is not the first multi-taking smartphone OS, but Palm is the first one to complete nail the solution. That being said, webOS is such an obviously natural way for a smartphone to work that I can't imagine all smartphones not working in a very similar way within the next 2 years. By then the innovative folks at Palm will be differentiating webOS based on intelligent synchronization and highly customized notifications. Palm has the opportunity to keep webOS on the cutting edge for many years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    Great opinions, but what apps is everyone finding a need to switch between so badly? To me, multitasking is most valuable when you have multiple apps worth keeping open for extended periods. But other than text then I tend to shut down apps not in use because they poll data, drain battery or steal memory.

I'd say the best example for making multitasking essential is Gaming. Quitting a game to do a quick text is ridiculous (but ironically I can do that on Pre but don't play games due to screen size.)

but overall I agree. Palm got multitasking perfect. I guess I just wish there were better apps worth keeping open.
    I use Splash ID quite a bit with other apps. I also use memo to cut and paste information onto websites. For instance, I'm at the gym and entering how many calories I burned, what routine I did, etc. I also list my weight & how I'm feeling. That's a journal entry in FatSecret web site. It might be a "what I'm doing now" in FaceBook, and I also use it to record the exercising on FatSecret. I might also list it on my rant blog.

As I jump to these various websites, I may need to look up passwords in SplashID. I'm doing all of this while I'm listening to music on a cardio machine with my CountDown app running so I can do intervals. If I'm not doing intervals or lifting weights, then I have pReader running and I'm reading a book with background music .

Usually, my carpool buddy will text me to ask if she should pick me up from the gym or my house. Thanks to multitasking, I can reply w/o missing a beat in any other Apps that I have running.

That's just my morning, before work. I also use multitasking during other parts of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Other than the sheer ease of switching, copy/paste, etc, I find it most evident in the car, when I can listen to Pandora or an audiobook while using Sprint Nav. Then when a call comes in, I can answer it (pausing my audio) and when I hang up the audio picks back up - and Nav is still working.
    I forgot about that one. I use it so often, I didn't even think of it as multitasking. Also, it's one of those things where you think "of course it should work that way." Who'd want to close up their audio book to hear the next direction or close directions to answer the phone.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Multitasking is just one aspect of webos. The jewel of this OS is how all of its features work seamlessly together and the ease of navigation. No one individual feature defines this OS. The reason everyone points to multitasking is because it's the only feature that can be explain or readers can relate to.

All other features have to be experience to truly understand and appreciate how it works. These includes smart notification, synergy, gesture area, OTA, and navigating through the OS itself. And of course our great homebrew community.
    I own a business where I drive all day to clients homes. I use gps all day, listen to pandora, call clients to make sure they are home, and maybe check email or text, all at the same time. Dont know when I have time to pay attention to driving but thats another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    You're not really multitasking on a computer, the computer is multitasking by itself. Your eyes are only focused on one window at a time and you only interact with one window at a time so it doesn't matter how big your screen is. Can you type an instant message and read a blog at the same time on your big computer screen? Nope, the human brain can not read and write at the same time, or read two things at once, or do any other two high level cognitive thinking at once. Both apps may be open but you interact with only one app at a time. The only thing a big screen allows is for the user to switch focus between apps quickly, which is what the pre's cards system also allows on a small screen.
    Yay, the semantics game!!!!!!!!!
    I love the multi-tasking UI of WebOS and use it in a lot of ways. There is one form of multi-tasking that I'm looking forward to on Sprint, that I'm jealous of on at&t: concurrent voice and data. Here is where I'm looking forward to using that: talking on the phone while keeping an eye on traffic conditions ahead with Google Maps.

BTW, it will be nice to have, but I'm not willing to switch just to get it. I'll stick with Sprint and wait.

I hope Sprint is able to accomplish this with their migration to 4g, which hopefully will enable them to switch over to VOIP.
    hate to be a party-pooper, but until Palm can clean up the "Too Many Cards" error multitasking IS overrated!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKat View Post
    hate to be a party-pooper, but until Palm can clean up the "Too Many Cards" error multitasking IS overrated!
    I disagree. Since webOS 1.4 I've not had a problem with "too many cards." Perhaps I'm not running more that a few apps at a time out of habit (pre webOS1.4) but my Pre has been solid with multitasking -- one of it's best feature over competitors IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKat View Post
    Never been an issue with my Pre+.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    is multitasking overrated?
    No.
    Honestly, I didn't appreciate multi-tasking until I did the "Speedup your EVDO and Sprint TV connection" tweak. I had to use one screen to read the forums, another for the phone dialer, and the other with my MSL number. Made my "tweaking" that much easier. Now, I try to multi-task as much as possible. So, to answer this post, no multi-tasking is not overrated. It is to those that don't have it. So, let em envy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12