Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With Windows Phone 7S announcing their new launch partners, should Palm and webOS have anything to worry about?

We're talking Sling, Shazam, Foursquare etc

Personally as long as Palm continue to develop, improve and maybe more importantly MARKET webOS, then i feel they wil be around for a good while yet.

Would be interesting to hear your views.....
    webOS is great, best phone OS experience you can get. But Palm needs to get app development out of limbo. Without Sling, Shazam, Foursquare and the like many potential users will look, and are looking, elsewhere.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I know this thread will get moved, but has anyone seen those screenshots of these launch apps on Engadget? Wow.

The interface of the AP app makes WebOS and pretty much every other news app on every other platform look like 10 years ago. If they keep that look and feel throughout the apps with that caliber of launch partners....man.

According to a few rumors and an unverified spec sheet and render I saw, the Touch Pro 3 on Sprint will be WiMax with WP7. If so and their notifications prove to be a little more Pre and Android and a little less iPhone, I'm there.
    I'm betting the original release of WP7 is gonna be plenty buggy, and I won't be sympathetic with any anxious early-adoptors that are going to buy the first release just because it's the newest shiniest kid on the block.

Is it true that none of the existing Windows Mobile apps are going to work until their GUI interface gets a WP7 tweak?
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    I'm betting the original release of WP7 is gonna be plenty buggy, and I won't be sympathetic with any anxious early-adoptors that are going to buy the first release just because it's the newest shiniest kid on the block.

Is it true that none of the existing Windows Mobile apps are going to work until their GUI interface gets a WP7 tweak?
    Bugs are a given. WebOS is still plagued with them, as is Android to a lesser degree.

But who cares about the old Windows Mobile apps? Microsoft doesn't look to be leaving too many rocks unturned with their launch lineup.
    According to ppcgeeks.com Touch Pro 3 will be shipping with 6.5 and will not be a Windows 7 phone, but of course all the news is speculation.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    BTW, WebOS does have Foursquare. Though I would jump in and correct that. Interesting points otherwise.

I like the look of WP7 to be honest, and I've played with the ZuneHD, so I have an idea about what it would be like to use, but I would have to touch and see the whole thing myself to see if I would really like the paradigm better than WebOS (best one that I have used so far) and see if it extends gracefully out to all mobile uses (and not just media).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Bugs are a given. WebOS is still plagued with them, as is Android to a lesser degree.

But who cares about the old Windows Mobile apps? Microsoft doesn't look to be leaving too many rocks unturned with their launch lineup.
    Because it seems a lot of people think "app count" is the holy grail of smartphone existence.. And if M$ is resetting the app count odometer for WP7 that will mean a lot to a lot of people.

Who's gonna want a phone that doesn't have 3 dozen fart apps immediately available?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The interface of the AP app makes WebOS and pretty much every other news app on every other platform look like 10 years ago. If they keep that look and feel throughout the apps with that caliber of launch partners....man.
    There's no real reason why our AP app couldn't look like that. There's no software/hardware limitations that would prevent someone from making an app look like that, I tend to believe it's probably representative of how the whole phone experience is, much like how our apps are designed to fit nicely in the webOS UI scheme. The one problem I see is the less utilitarian an app the more processing power it will require to render, something I'm sure (or I hope anyway) MS has considered.
    If webos users make up a sizable chunk of the users of Pandora and Foursquare then they'll continue to develop their apps no matter what MS (or anyone else) comes out with. If Webos users don't use their service, then they'll stop updating it, same as anything else.

So if you like a service and want it to stay on Webos, use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Because it seems a lot of people think "app count" is the holy grail of smartphone existence.. And if M$ is resetting the app count odometer for WP7 that will mean a lot to a lot of people.

Who's gonna want a phone that doesn't have 3 dozen fart apps immediately available?
    I was just reading that of the iPhone's 120/140/whateverK apps, 27,000....are books. I don't even want to imagine how many are soundboards or Brighthouse Labs-esque monstrosities. It is so time to throw out that metric.

I like how MS is shooting for the post-app aesthetic by incorporating so much functionality into the hubs.
    Holy.....MS just announced NETFLIX for Windows Phone 7.

Not a Netflix Queue manager, but NETFLIX, as in you can watch instantly on your phone.

Talk about a killer app!
    There's definitely some interesting apps coming to it.

However, I still really dislike that interface entirely.

Other than the fact that it has a homescreen, which I realize the Pre doesn't have (and this doesn't bother me, though I know some dislike it), pretty much every screen on the demo shows LESS information than the Pre does, despite having 2.5x the pixels on Windows Phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The big issue for Palm, going forward, will be the marketshare required to get the attention of large developers. iPhone OS, RIM, Android, Windows Phone 7 and Nokia will probably outsell webOS.

That leaves Palm in 6th place priority for app development. Palm is also the most vulnerable company, by far, in terms of resources.
    That's being a little bit unfair to Palm, considering Nokia has pretty much no market share in the US.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Wow, my next phone will probably be a windows phone 7 phone. Some nice stuff shown today.
    Netflix really IS the killer app. It would convince me to switch because I love it on my XBOX 360 and PS3 and it would be awesome to have mobile. If Palm could work that into WebOS, then that would be a HUGE winning point.
    I wonder what anti-virus to go with when I pick this up???
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmoons View Post
    Netflix really IS the killer app. It would convince me to switch because I love it on my XBOX 360 and PS3 and it would be awesome to have mobile. If Palm could work that into WebOS, then that would be a HUGE winning point.
    Already done.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...q-netflix.html
    I believe he means the Watch Instantly feature that the Windows Phone appears to have.
    Watch Instantly anything in your Netflix Queue, plus Sling is a launch partner too. That's a tough combo to keep up with.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast