Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was particularly sad to see Shazam announced for WP7 (which is how it will become known, I'm sure, in spite of all the gnashing of teeth over the name). Why sad? Because it's the one thing I can point at that's truly disappointing from Palm's perspective. Why they still haven't enabled the microphone in the SDK is a mystery to me.

Otherwise, on the one hand, I'm very disappointed that Palm is in such a difficult situation. I'm starting to believe that there's just too much market momentum against them, and that even if they executed perfectly (or A+, as against, say, their A- execution as I'd rate them) they can't survive as an independent company. I'm not 100% commited to that belief, I'm still holding out hope, but Palm's ability to succeed against very motivated, much larger companies with combined cash of over $100 billion is becoming less likely every day.

On the other hand, I'm very happy to see Microsoft doing very cool things. WP7 is looking more and more compelling every day, and these launch partner announcements are incredible. If Microsoft can execute on everything they're announcing (which I believe they will), they will become a very, very serious competitor pretty much immediately. And, that will be the platform I move to should Palm not make it. I so much want an alternative to the iPhone and Android, and this one's looking more and more attractive.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmoons View Post
    Netflix really IS the killer app. It would convince me to switch because I love it on my XBOX 360 and PS3 and it would be awesome to have mobile. If Palm could work that into WebOS, then that would be a HUGE winning point.
    The problem with working it into WebOS, is that it runs on Silverlight, which is a Microsoft platform.

WP7S is shaping up to be one hell of a mobile experience though. The one problem I see is hardware partners. Being a former Touch Pro user, I've seen how little (sometimes none) support some of these manufacturers give to their existing devices. They're more willing to just push out another handset rather than update existing one. Look at how many new WM 6.0 devices got 6.5 and how many new Android 1.5/6 device have 2.1.

That's the benefit of having the OS and hardware controlled by the same company, guaranteed support for their devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFonzerrelli View Post
    I wonder what anti-virus to go with when I pick this up???
    That made me laugh!
    Only because you'll probably need it...

Personally, I think the Zune/Win7 facade/interface it terrible and fugly. Knowing Microsoft, it'll stay that way and be toted as "THE BEST MOBILE OS EVAH OMGZ!!!".
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    That made me laugh!
    Only because you'll probably need it...

Personally, I think the Zune/Win7 facade/interface it terrible and fugly. Knowing Microsoft, it'll stay that way and be toted as "THE BEST MOBILE OS EVAH OMGZ!!!".
    Call what you want< but microsoft will be chopping heads with this one. I'm puling for palm, but winmo7 is becoming more, and more interesting. The crazy part about it, is that I'm sure they haven't spilled out everything yet.....I'm just saying.
    Yup. Palm had their chance and failed in the long run. Great phone, great features, but they never sustained the leading edge featues and don't seem to care about it. My next phone will not be a palm, no matter how much I love the OS.
    It is interesting to note how many former WM users that Palm brought over via the Pre and WebOs. It is likely that Palm will lose those without innovation above what 7 series brings.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Microsoft seems to be doing all the right things at the moment. Windows Phone 7 seems to be really great (apart from the lack of Multitasking). When it comes out, many apps will be available for it! They are certainly know what they are doing. I love the Zune and I am seriously tempted, even if multitasking won't be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It is interesting to note how many former WM users that Palm brought over via the Pre and WebOs. It is likely that Palm will lose those without innovation above what 7 series brings.
    The same my hold true WM users that purchased an Android phone, which I did.

I have a ZuneHD which I love except for one thing - those ugly pink blocks. I had stopped reading about the the WP7 series until the list of app partners came out today. If the list grows to include the apps I use every day, then I maybe able to over look the ugly pink blocs.
    The difference between Windows and Palm is Microsoft had and has a heck of a lot more money to throw at this project than Palm had/has. I believe Microsoft is doing it up right and it's exciting, but I also believe if Palm had the same funds they would have had an equally great phone.

As far as functionality goes I love the Pre. It suits me perfectly, but if they don't have a new phone to upgrade to when Sept rolls around I'll be putting my money on WP7 if it's available.
    I'm thinking about getting me a Pixi to tide me over until Sprint gets a WinMo 7 phone
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Seeing how its Microsoft, their line up will do very well. Does that mean its going to be a great phone for everyone...not really. It lacks true multitasking, will be locked down like the iPhone until a Jailbreak is in order, and that interface to me is not clean. Maybe in time I could get used to it, but it just looks so unorganized especially on those horrendous phones they are using.

WebOS can still become a leader if they get that OS onto much, much faster, sturdier hardware, and somehow convince big name developers to create apps for them either for money or charity. WebOS's potential is just so much more brighter than the current lineup of OS's, it just lacks the resources to fulfill its destiny.
    To me, winphone 7 seems like iPhone OS with a zune UI. People were always criticising apple because of the iphone's 'too simple' OS or its lack of 'open' multitasking (the iphone does multitask - core apps) but now that MS is doind it everybody is saying is the best thing since sliced bread. There's nothing really new in winphone 7 apart from the fact that it uses MS's code to do things that already exist on other platforms. Maybe the xbox integration could be something original... but MS wasn't nearly as serious about cellphone gaming before the iphone too. Don't get me wrong, winphone 7 is cool, but it's being overrated imo. I also think the UI is confusing and too 'scattered' , you have to look around and swipe around to find stuff all the time, it seems kinda annoying.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    My decision was made today.... I was already leaning towards it because of the zunepass but netflix was the app that pushed it over the edge for me.

I don't think people hate the iphone OS.... they hate how the apps are handled (both approval process and its lack of phone hooks for 3rd party both of which wp7 seems to do better)

I think they are changing alot more than you give them credit for.... they have something that is like nothing else on the market. Palm, apple and google are all doing the same basic thing (grids/pages of icons as the core os).
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    No, that's just a queue manager. You can actually WATCH netflix videos on Windows Phone 7 since it has Silverlight support.
    I still dont understand on how in the heck this resembles the iPhone, it looks NOTHING like the iPhone OS, Microsoft has put out a real game changer here folks IMO, a UI and design never seen before in a mobile platform, cross platform gaming (PC / Xbox / WP7) the hubs approach that should cure people from the "one million apps is a must" way of thinking in combining all the info you need on people / music / social networking etc. in a gorgeous panoramic view instead of popping in and out of app after app

Nowadays, any mobile OS that has apps, games and a touchscreen is an apple ripoff... get real folks... hell the iPhone is sooo crammed in everyone's mind that even for the stuff it cant do its compared to the iPhone...

I love WebOS but it really made me realize that Palm, Android, and Apple have the same approach in the OS (grids of icons, apps and more apps to make up for basic functionality in the OS itself) But i will still give Palm a chance to make me stay with AT LEAST an announcement for a worthy WebOS hardware for summer / fall or I will defenetly jump to the Supersonic or any of these WP7 puppies...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    I still dont understand on how in the heck this resembles the iPhone, it looks NOTHING like the iPhone OS, Microsoft has put out a real game changer here folks IMO, a UI and design never seen before in a mobile platform, cross platform gaming (PC / Xbox / WP7) the hubs approach that should cure people from the "one million apps is a must" way of thinking in combining all the info you need on people / music / social networking etc. in a gorgeous panoramic view instead of popping in and out of app after app.
    In a "gorgeous panoramic view" that's only got a tiny sliver of the actual information shown, you mean.

Anyway, there's no question it's a entirely new UI paradigm for a phone. The question is whether it'll help or hinder actual usage of the phone. From what I've seen, I'd lean towards hindering. Besides, there's a reason that everyone has stuck with the "grid of apps" type interface (though when you boil it down to something as narrow of a scope as that, you're jumping past everything that makes each OS good in its own way). Quite simply, it works.

While the Windows Phone looks nice, it'll take a lot before anyone can convince me that that interface is a more efficient way to use my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In a "gorgeous panoramic view" that's only got a tiny sliver of the actual information shown, you mean.

Anyway, there's no question it's a entirely new UI paradigm for a phone. The question is whether it'll help or hinder actual usage of the phone. From what I've seen, I'd lean towards hindering. Besides, there's a reason that everyone has stuck with the "grid of apps" type interface (though when you boil it down to something as narrow of a scope as that, you're jumping past everything that makes each OS good in its own way). Quite simply, it works.

While the Windows Phone looks nice, it'll take a lot before anyone can convince me that that interface is a more efficient way to use my phone.
    i agree with the "it works" view, but its always nice to see something go so far from what we are used to, otherwise the smartphone industry would start to stale a bit since there would be minimal differences between them when it comes to basic design. whether it will succeed or not is yet to be seen but it has turned many heads with this bold approach

sucks for the multitasking though...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Oh, and while the combined XBox / PC / Windows Phone ecosystem for games and the like sounds like a great thing on paper, I'll wait to see how it works in practice.

The reason I say that, is that I've been a Windows user for a long time, since 3.1. I've used Windows Media Center for four years. I've had a Windows Home Server for 2 1/2 years now. And I've had an Xbox 360 for 1 1/2 years.

Despite all of Microsoft's promises about a complete home ecosystem, in practice, nothing comes together properly. Windows Home Server backs up all the PCs and stores my media, but I need a separate computer on all the time as the main Windows Media Center, because nobody thought that people would only want one always on PC, even in a fully MS setup. The 360 as a Media Center Extender can only play a tiny portion of the files that the Windows Media Center can play. You need a separate add-on to automatically transfer recorded TV from the Media Center to the Home Server.

The situation has improved slightly with Windows 7, but not much. Now to play a file on the 360 / Extender that wouldn't be supported, the Windows 7 PC has to transcode the file on the fly in real time, which it does do natively, but at lesser quality than the old third-party addons for it. In addition, some of the files that it has to transcode are supported natively on the 360 anyway, but not when the 360 is in Extender mode, which doesn't give it access to the full set of codecs.

Oh, and despite having a Windows Mobile phone a year ago, and the server having access to the Internet and a free *.homeserver.com subdomain to redirect to it, you needed a separate addon such as Orb to be able to play the files over the Internet.

While that rant may seem entirely off topic, I mention it here just to say that there's a huge difference between Microsoft promising a seamless ecosystem and actually delivering on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Holy.....MS just announced NETFLIX for Windows Phone 7.

Not a Netflix Queue manager, but NETFLIX, as in you can watch instantly on your phone.

Talk about a killer app!
    Yeah, that's crazy awesome. Just wonder what this'll do to at&t's bandwidth problems and especially what's gonna happen when carriers start tiering data plans. Also, hope the phone can run a streaming movie smoothly with minimal hiccups/audio lag/&c. If done right, it could be awesome!

If something happened to Palm or webOS, WP7 seems to be my second choice.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    The Sky is falling... the sky is falling. People... please stop and think a minute. Execution is important. There are a thousand little things that could make these phones crap. battery life, bugs, hardware cracks, lack of apps, delays, etc. This thing is not out yet and who knows what Palm, Apple, Blackberry, or anyone else has up there sleeves when this phone does get released.

Everyone's so near-sighted on there judgement of Palm and the Pre/Pixi. Give it some time and you will see that Palm, iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, and Nokia are not going away for a long time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast