1.    #1  
    I've owned a Droid for the past two weeks and increasingly hate the thing. The lack of full activesync support, non-intuitive OS, battery suck, phone that you need lots and lots of touches to dial and an oversensitive touch screen have me thinking of dumping the Droid for the Pre Plus.

But reading this forum, it sounds like the pre has a lot of the same issues. So I'm wondering if I'm going from frying pan to fire.

BTW, I went through seven Treo 600's (which I bought through the Treo version of this site, btw) and a couple of 650s before switching over to Blackberry 2 1/2 years ago. So I'm a little leery of coming back to Palm.

Advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.
    well, some of the issues aren't there. You won't have activesync, everything is done over the air (I recommend using google for most things), but the OS is very intuitive. Battery life is not great (especially first few days while phone is syncing all the information), but you don't need too many touches to dial (one touch to dialpad). Also apps like launch point/quick contacts make a good quick photodialer. I don't find the pre's touchscreen to be oversensitive. Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am a Realtor and a heavy user...

I upgraded from the centro and love it.

Every once in a while there is a glitch- like any phone.
    The OS is very intuitive
    Battery life is OK- I have a car charger and rarely run out of battery life.
    I love the touchstone charger
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveChgo View Post
    I've owned a Droid for the past two weeks and increasingly hate the thing. The lack of full activesync support, non-intuitive OS, battery suck, phone that you need lots and lots of touches to dial and an oversensitive touch screen have me thinking of dumping the Droid for the Pre Plus.

But reading this forum, it sounds like the pre has a lot of the same issues. So I'm wondering if I'm going from frying pan to fire.

BTW, I went through seven Treo 600's (which I bought through the Treo version of this site, btw) and a couple of 650s before switching over to Blackberry 2 1/2 years ago. So I'm a little leery of coming back to Palm.

Advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.
    No phones support activesync other than WinMo phones. That is the conduit by which WinMo devices connect to a windows desktop via tether.

However, the Pre does support Exchange activesync to sync with an Exchange Server.

I will also say the webOS is far more intuitive and efficient UI to use over the Droid.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    You may want to stick out with the Droid. I have both a Pre and a Nexus One and unfortunately I've found each phone has its issues. You probably will not love the build quality of the Pre and some of the lag when compared to a Droid. The Droid just feels really solid in your hand. What you will like is WebOS, which is hands down the most intuitive OS of them all IMO. What I like about Android is the Apps (quantity) although I feel WebOS app quality is as good if not slightly better. The build quality of all Android phones is really great and Voice commands are very nice. You can also do a little bit more with bluetooth. You may want to try a Pre to see if its a better fit, but I think you'll find yourself conflicted in trying to pick the best device. I know I am. Have you tried holding down the Home button to bring up recent apps, that's made using Android a little easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    You may want to stick out with the Droid. I have both a Pre and a Nexus One and unfortunately I've found each phone has its issues. You probably will not love the build quality of the Pre and some of the lag when compared to a Droid. The Droid just feels really solid in your hand. What you will like is WebOS, which is hands down the most intuitive OS of them all IMO. What I like about Android is the Apps (quantity) although I feel WebOS app quality is as good if not slightly better. The build quality of all Android phones is really great and Voice commands are very nice. You can also do a little bit more with bluetooth. You may want to try a Pre to see if its a better fit, but I think you'll find yourself conflicted in trying to pick the best device. I know I am. Have you tried holding down the Home button to bring up recent apps, that's made using Android a little easier.
    I respectfully disagree. I had 2 myTouch 3G's and a Nexus One and hated them progressively more in that order. Android is the Windows Vista of phone OS's...sure it can "technically" do lots, the problem is that it can't really do anything reliably or consistently. I felt the Nexus One's build quality was fine, but marketing aside I would have never known it had a 1ghz processor and 512mb of system memory.

Regarding WebOS vs Android market.....Yes Android has more apps. But I found that the bulk of the market was nothing more than themes and poorly written apps that cause further problems with the OS. WebOS applications by comparison are very well written and though there aren't that many (yet), they flow well with the rest of the phone.

I know that the bluetooth on Android 2.1 will not stay sync'd with my Kia Soul (Pre does), but I can't really comment with any insight other than that. I know the Pre won't sync with my Mac via Bluetooth, but the N1 did albeit limited.

I had such high hopes for Android but I think the nature of the platform will always make it like a Windows experience. Also.....WebOS reminds me very much of Mac OS 9.2, which makes me a happy camper
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    lol, So you disagreed with one statement I made, but a agreed with the rest. It's all good though. Still, if you "Need" bluetooth, Voice memos or anything voice, Docs2go, etc. WebOS isn't there yet. Although when I wake up in the morning, the phone I take to work is the Pre. Wow, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm defending Android.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    No phones support activesync other than WinMo phones. That is the conduit by which WinMo devices connect to a windows desktop via tether.

However, the Pre does support Exchange activesync to sync with an Exchange Server.

I will also say the webOS is far more intuitive and efficient UI to use over the Droid.
    What do you mean "no phones support activesynch other than winmo?" My blackberry supported it great and I had no oproblems with push email. Can't get push to work with Droid, even with Touchdown. This is what I'm trying to figure out. Will it work better with PrePlus than it does with Droid. I've got Exchange 2003 sp2 for what it's worth.

thanks everyone for your feedback. Really helpful, btw.
    What do you mean "no phones support activesynch other than winmo?" My blackberry supported it great and I had no oproblems with push email. Can't get push to work with Droid, even with Touchdown. This is what I'm trying to figure out. Will it work better with PrePlus than it does with Droid. I've got Exchange 2003 sp2 for what it's worth.

I think they were just getting technical on you, activesync is a program used to sync windows mobile phones to a computer. Webos does a very good job at syncing(and pushing) to an exchange server for email, calendar, contacts etc. So that would be a big improvement for you over android. The biggest drawbacks to the pre compared to droid is the droid loads apps much faster, and the droid has many more apps available. Also webos still does not have voice dialing. However, webos is very intuitive and excellent at multitasking.
    Honestly I dont know what the big deal is about the # of apps vs apps that you need. If the Pre has apps you need then great. The only hole in Pre apps is microphone based ones like Shazamm or voice recorder.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Pre's browser is better than Droid. The ability to switch between APPS, keep them open/minimized is coolest. The best part is googling. Slide the keyboard type anything you want to search on the internet hit enter. That simple.
    The plus points on the Droid are the SD card slot,voice activated dialing and bigger screen.
    But the keyboard is bad. Browser is not great. Overall its even between both the phones. I would buy a Pre , only for the visual multitasking feature.

Don't worry about the ActiveSync., you can still get your exchange email. Windows phones use the active sync for syncing your photos and documents. You don't need that for Pre. Connect Pre to your computer. Turn USB mode. You can drag drop anything to your Pre.
    The Droid is built like a beast. I love how the Droid feels. The Pre does feel cheap in comparison. I hate Android on the Droid though, the OS just feels clunky on the Droid. I find the Droid's keyboard and D-Pad completely useless too. If the Droid had WebOS and a better keyboard it would be my perfect phone.

I hear the Droid is getting an update to Android 2.1, but that is another issue with Android. Every phone is running a different version, and nobody knows if or when they are getting an update.
    I think Exchange was easier to set up and works much better on the Pre than on even WinMo, which is strange. And then there is the most important part, the PIN Bypass patch. I am not sure how it is on Android, but on WinMo, exchange was unbearable due to the PIN.

My only advice is if you decide on a Pre, please wait until 1.4.1, or at least do not judge it on 1.4.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    I've owned the Moto Droid, Droid Eris, and now the Pre Plus. Hopefully I can offer good insight. The Droid does suffer from a less than stellar touchscreen which hurts the experience. Comparing the keyboards between the two, Pre wins for me no questions. Since this is a personal preference, your mileage may vary. WebOS is definitely more intuitive than Android and the way it brings everything together is awesome. Something else I like about the Pre over Droid was the pocket friendly size of the Pre. I just don't like using holsters.
    The Droid Eris is a good phone and HTC has done wonders with Sense. The contacts app, People, in Sense is amazing. The biggest problem with the Eris is it's slow as can be . I'd be doing nothing on the phone, a call would come in and I'd try to answer. Next thing I know it says missed call. This didn't happen with every call, but enough times that I decided to jump ship to WebOS.
    I really think that WebOS is an awesome platform and combines the best of Android and iPhone OS. It's got a great UI like iPhone, great notification system like Android and has the best multi-tasking system on the market IMHO.
    While I'm a techie at heart and enjoyed the customizations offered by Android it was simply to much. I felt bombarded with options and never felt satisfied with my setup. This is more of a personal issue and one of the reasons why I like WebOS. It just works with minimal effort on my part and works the way I think it should.
    wow the droid really doesn't have full exchange support?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    wow the droid really doesn't have full exchange support?
    Nope - really. There are literally thousands of posts across a variety of boards from people complaining about this issue. The response from Motorola and the official board guy from Moto is radio silence on this issue and about whether it will finally be fixed in 2.1. By contrast, when I look at the official PRE forums, I see lots of people who complain about a problem, and pretty quickly, you see a Palm person saying things like PM me your logs and let's see if we can fix it. NEVER seen that anywhere on a Moto Droid forum.

All folks on the Droid forums tell you to do is spend 20 bucks for Touchdown, but for me, it's only a partial solution as it won't push for me. It's supposed to but it won't work. And fundamentally, it's the basic functions that first and foremost must work before I'll worry about the others.

I've got two weeks left, but my wife is having a baby no later than Friday so Given what I've seen, I'm inclined to just bite the bullet and make the switch.

I'm concerned about the built quality issues that apparently are the same ones I experienced with my Treo 600, but it sounds like a bit of a game of chance. If you get a good one, you're going to have a really solid experience.

Again, I really appreciate the thoughtful comments I've received here. I'll check back in once I make a final decision and especially if I do switch.

OK...then the Pre does support Exchange ActiveSync...like the BB.

FYI...ActiveSync and Exchange ActiveSync are different. You use ActiveSync to connect your (winMo) device/phone to your desktop and Outlook on your desktop. Exchange ActiveSync is used to connect a device/phone to your Outlook account on an Exchange Server, OTA.

However, I though that the Pre did support Outlook tasks. Can someone confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    OK...then the Pre does support Exchange ActiveSync...like the BB.

FYI...ActiveSync and Exchange ActiveSync are different. You use ActiveSync to connect your (winMo) device/phone to your desktop and Outlook on your desktop. Exchange ActiveSync is used to connect a device/phone to your Outlook account on an Exchange Server, OTA.

However, I though that the Pre did support Outlook tasks. Can someone confirm?
    The Pre does support Outlook tasks. I think it classifies them into another category within the Tasks app.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Android does NOT support secure Exchange accounts over the air. You have to buy a separate (and kind of ugly) application ($20) to do it and it's not native. Pre supports secure Exchange accounts over the air (where a PIN/password is required). It also syncs Tasks (something the iPhone cannot do over the air with Exchange).
    Nope - really. There are literally thousands of posts across a variety of boards from people complaining about this issue. The response from Motorola and the official board guy from Moto is radio silence on this issue and about whether it will finally be fixed in 2.1. By contrast, when I look at the official PRE forums, I see lots of people who complain about a problem, and pretty quickly, you see a Palm person saying things like PM me your logs and let's see if we can fix it. NEVER seen that anywhere on a Moto Droid forum.

All folks on the Droid forums tell you to do is spend 20 bucks for Touchdown, but for me, it's only a partial solution as it won't push for me. It's supposed to but it won't work. And fundamentally, it's the basic functions that first and foremost must work before I'll worry about the others.

I've got two weeks left, but my wife is having a baby no later than Friday so Given what I've seen, I'm inclined to just bite the bullet and make the switch.

I'm concerned about the built quality issues that apparently are the same ones I experienced with my Treo 600, but it sounds like a bit of a game of chance. If you get a good one, you're going to have a really solid experience.

Again, I really appreciate the thoughtful comments I've received here. I'll check back in once I make a final decision and especially if I do switch.
    if you are worried about build quality, and don't need 3d games or flash, get the pixi plus. It has a better keyboard than the pre as well. Excellent for email/messaging/calendar use.