Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    From PalmInfocenter: Clie T650C announced in Japan

    In short, it's the same case (and size and dimensions) as the T600/T615C. Only differences are:
    • 66Mhz Dragonball processor
    • Screen colors corrected from T600C/T615C
    • MP3 Player built in

    Because the size and connectors are the same, accessories for the current T615C should work perfectly for the T650C (or whatever they call it in the US.)
    Jeff Meyer

    "And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  2. #2  
    so, is Sony giving a rebate to those users who bought the t600/t615c?

    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. #3  
    Hmm...you've gotta be wondering whether what SONY is doing is a good thing, or a bad thing.

    For good, they keep coming out with awesome new units, new innovations, and are leading PalmOS devices into a new area, multimedia.

    For bad, people are embracing them and buying them, but just as they've been content and gotten their new SONY device, it's discontinued and SONY replaces it with something better. Some of us can afford to upgrade everytime a new SONY is released, *ahem* MikeDemo, though many of us can't, and are "stuck." We may not really be "stuck" but it just seems that way in our minds, because we don't have the "lastest, coolest thing" out there. Just a thought...

    I wanna come back to SONY eventually, but I just don't quite now when to jump on. SONY is like one of those bullet trains in Europe, haha. Once you get on, she goes mighty fast.

    What do you guys think about SONY's release patterns?
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Hmm...you've gotta be wondering whether what SONY is doing is a good thing, or a bad thing.

    For good, they keep coming out with awesome new units, new innovations, and are leading PalmOS devices into a new area, multimedia.

    For bad, people are embracing them and buying them, but just as they've been content and gotten their new SONY device, it's discontinued and SONY replaces it with something better. Some of us can afford to upgrade everytime a new SONY is released, *ahem* MikeDemo, though many of us can't, and are "stuck." We may not really be "stuck" but it just seems that way in our minds, because we don't have the "lastest, coolest thing" out there. Just a thought...

    I wanna come back to SONY eventually, but I just don't quite now when to jump on. SONY is like one of those bullet trains in Europe, haha. Once you get on, she goes mighty fast.

    What do you guys think about SONY's release patterns?
    I wonder how then can afford the R&D costs... I guess they want to agressively get a bigger market share...

    I too think they are bringing out models too fast, but love the way they think out of the Palm OS box, they really are inovative...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  5. #5  
    The timing on Sony's announcement is interesting...maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, but won't this kill a lot of interest in the Treo 90? I mean, Sony is capable of giving the user essentially the same features (memory slot, color screen, PalmOS 4.1), but they're adding a jog dial, Remote Commander, a better screen, and - holy crap - an MP3 player??? Granted, it'll probably run for more than $100 more than the Treo 90, but consumers may be swayed by the add-ons. So - is the T650C the Treo 90-killer?
    What do you think, Sirs?
  6. #6  
    I don't think so. The 650 will likely be sold in the USA for $399-$450, which is a lot more than the 90's MSRP. The 90 is a top-of-the-line mid-range handheld, while the 650 falls into the 'nice to have, but too damn expensive' category...
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    I wonder how then can afford the R&D costs... I guess they want to agressively get a bigger market share...

    I too think they are bringing out models too fast, but love the way they think out of the Palm OS box, they really are inovative...
    Haha, we're talking about SONY here, the consumer electronics giant of the world. They have plenty of money to go around. They're already experts at consumer electronics, they're just applying much of their R&D into handhelds. Even for pure handheld R&D, the money they spend seems like pennies compared to the R&D they spend on all their other products. If SONY wants to make it big, then they'll spend as much money as is necessary, if not excessive amounts. Think about their laptop computers. They must have spent a lot of money into the R&D when those came out. Those babies were competing with the huge 8 pound, ugly ducklings of the time. SONY wants the market share and they have the money to take it.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    I don't think so. The 650 will likely be sold in the USA for $399-$450, which is a lot more than the 90's MSRP. The 90 is a top-of-the-line mid-range handheld, while the 650 falls into the 'nice to have, but too damn expensive' category...
    Haha, I agree. I don't believe SONY has ANY model in the $299 MSRP. They killed the T415, and the T615 was always at $399. Aside from the disappearing Palm IIIc and Visor Prism, the Treo 90 is one the cheapest color PalmOS PDA avaliable, if I'm not correct...right there with the Palm m130. But it looks way cooler and I'll say is way better than the m130, Go Handspring! For what it's worth...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  9. #9  
    Personally, I think the PDA Addicts that frequent these boards are really the exception. Most average users do not need to have the latest and greatest every time it is released. They buy the best they can afford at the time and then upgrade as necessary.

    I know many PDA users who still use Palm V's, Visor Deluxe's, Palm III's, etc...

    I think the important thing is keep some accessory compatibility, particularly in the Connector. As long as things like Cables, Chargers and Keyboards work, they should really be okay.

    Not to mention the 650 sounds like an updated 615, which means most of the existing 615 cases _might_ work as well.

    It seems that what Sony does is create a new device with the latest hardware and then revamp their older models with the newer technology. They introduced 16MB RAM and then got rid of all the models without it. When they finally killed the 760, they introduced a brand new model with a 66Mhz Processor. Now they are updating the T615 with it.

    Maybe by the time the 360 has been introduced with the 66Mhz Processor the next truly new model will be announced in Japan. Then by the time that cycle is complete, maybe we will begin seeing devices with OS5.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  10. #10  
    The big thing I don't like about Sony is that they get a new device, then in the next year, release 4 more handhelds that are the same thing, but with one more feature.

    This is unlike Handspring or Handera, where they actually spend time getting the product right the first time.

    SONY Products
    S300-S320-S360
    N610-N710-N760
    T415-T615-T650
    etc...
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    The big thing I don't like about Sony is that they get a new device, then in the next year, release 4 more handhelds that are the same thing, but with one more feature.

    This is unlike Handspring or Handera, where they actually spend time getting the product right the first time.

    SONY Products
    S300-S320-S360
    N610-N710-N760
    T415-T615-T650
    etc...
    Umm... Handera, maybe, but Handspring no.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Because the size and connectors are the same, accessories for the current T615C should work perfectly for the T650C (or whatever they call it in the US.)
    Spoke too soon (as GSR13 warned)... I was looking at the T650 site, and while I think the case size is exactly the same as the T615C, the earphone jack, and hold button location on the side will require new holes to be cut in the side of any Clie T615C case.

    Oh, well....
    Jeff Meyer

    "And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Umm... Handera, maybe, but Handspring no.
    Well...there were a few models of the TRG device, and then now the Handera. Handspring has released many more units than that, so the percent of faulty or devices with errors will obviously be more. Handspring has been very good with supporting their users, and their units are very nice. As for HandEra/TRG, I don't know about their customer support...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    Well...there were a few models of the TRG device, and then now the Handera.
    huh? What other models? Before the TRG Pro, TRG made expansion memory boards for Palms. They've produced the TRG Pro and the Handera 330. That's it. They will make bulk custom orders for enterprises, but those are the only two PDAs they've produced.
    Handspring has released many more units than that, so the percent of faulty or devices with errors will obviously be more.
    But you said they got it right the first time. I'd say that the Visor Deluxe-Visor Platinum-Visor Pro progression sounds a lot like the Sony progressions you cited.
    Handspring has been very good with supporting their users, and their units are very nice. As for HandEra/TRG, I don't know about their customer support...
    Their support and technical knowledge is hard to beat from everything I've heard (granted that's easier when you're only supporting one or two products, but...).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  15. #15  
    In response to the Deluxe-Platinum-Pro suggestion:

    The upgrade to the Platinum was the higher OS and the higher processor speed, that was new technology. Neither was available when the Deluxe was produced

    The upgrade to the Pro was the 16mb barrier, and Handspring was one of the first to break the 8mb barrier. It also used a powerful rechargable battery, which was not available at the time of the platinum
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    In response to the Deluxe-Platinum-Pro suggestion:

    The upgrade to the Platinum was the higher OS and the higher processor speed, that was new technology. Neither was available when the Deluxe was produced

    The upgrade to the Pro was the 16mb barrier, and Handspring was one of the first to break the 8mb barrier. It also used a powerful rechargable battery, which was not available at the time of the platinum
    And that's my point. Sony is doing the same pushing of the envelope with _their_ hardware. I'm sure if they could have put an MP3 player into the T615 or T415, they would have. I'm sure that the screen that went into the 615 wasn't available or tested enough at the time the 415 was released, and the battery and MP3 functionality that's in the 650 probably wasn't at that level when the 615 was released. I'm not saying Handspring bad:Sony good. I'm saying they're about the same in that particular respect. Sony's just able/willing to improve their stuff quicker.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  17. #17  
    Handspring has released the Deluxe/Platinum/Pro combination over about 2-3 years.

    Sony has done it in 6 months - 1 year.

    That's the difference.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    Handspring has released the Deluxe/Platinum/Pro combination over about 2-3 years.

    Sony has done it in 6 months - 1 year.

    That's the difference.
    I think you missed the part where I said:
    Sony's just able/willing to improve their stuff quicker.
    Don't fool yourself into thinking that Handspring wouldn't _love_ to be able to have the capital to do the same.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by Toby
    huh? What other models? Before the TRG Pro, TRG made expansion memory boards for Palms. They've produced the TRG Pro and the Handera 330. That's it. They will make bulk custom orders for enterprises, but those are the only two PDAs they've produced.

    But you said they got it right the first time. I'd say that the Visor Deluxe-Visor Platinum-Visor Pro progression sounds a lot like the Sony progressions you cited.

    Their support and technical knowledge is hard to beat from everything I've heard (granted that's easier when you're only supporting one or two products, but...).
    I has always thought TRG had made a model before the TRG Pro, oh well. As for getting them right the first time, they HAVE to, or they'll die, because they're such a small company. They have absolutely no room for error. And they take forever in between their whopping two releases, like...2, 3 years?

    I'd say the Visor progression is upgrading their line of PDAs, not necessarily just reckless releasing of new products. They never add any new features, they have nothing to add! Color is about the only "feature," though you can do the same with greyscale, to a point. New functionality is up to the springboards, and the Treo 90 doesn't seem to believe that.

    It's like saying every new computer you buy is an upgrade of your old one. It's a replacement, with new technology, faster, new OS, etc. (Unless you have the money to upgrade in between each major OS upgrade). However, you're still doing the same thing with the new handspring units, unless you buy new springboards as well. How many NEW functionalities does the Treo 90 add over the Visor Deluxe??? What can you do with the Treo 90 you cant with the visor deluxe? Possibly new software, but I mean, you can get the same done with MS Word 97 as Word 2002 cant you???

    Now, with the SONY's, you can listen to music with the new ones, high-res opens up new possibilities, the new keyboard does the same. You can do so much with memory sticks, Handspring relies on springboards and now SD to do that. You can do new things with the SONY's. Handspring, you can do the same thing faster, or more enjoyable. On both sides, software opens up new functionality as well. Handspring is coming out with new models so that they don't get slaughtered. SONY is doing it because they have the money, and everytime their R&D thinks of something they release it . Hawkins actually *supposively* sits down and thinks these things through.

    As for tech support, I have on idea on HandEra, but I know from experience and many people that Handspring is great.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    I has always thought TRG had made a model before the TRG Pro, oh well. As for getting them right the first time, they HAVE to, or they'll die, because they're such a small company. They have absolutely no room for error. And they take forever in between their whopping two releases, like...2, 3 years?
    Exactly.
    I'd say the Visor progression is upgrading their line of PDAs, not necessarily just reckless releasing of new products.
    There's nothing reckless about Sony either, I'm sure. I'm sure they have a quite detailed plan. With their sort of execution time, it seems to be quite planned.
    They never add any new features, they have nothing to add!
    huh? New OS, new processors, etc.
    [...] How many NEW functionalities does the Treo 90 add over the Visor Deluxe??? [...]
    I wasn't addressing the Treo 90. I was addressing the comparison of the Visors to Sony's units. I don't see much of any difference between what Sony's doing and what the Visor line did from the Deluxe to Platinum to Pro.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions