Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    So how was i wrong about "applefan bois" please scroll up in the thread and look at the Netbook spec vs ipad specs seriously if the price and specs justify the price tag for a giant itouch.
    Fanz implies some population that buys Apple product over and over again. I'm saying that Apple is pulling in new customers -- not Apple hard liners.

I guess I am a little guilty of being an Apple Ma fanatic, but I do not own an Ipod or but music from the iTunes store. I chose a webOS phone over the iPhone for the same reason I chose a Mac over Windows. I was after a different "experience." It just seems odd that people on these forums are making a big deal out of the specs. That completely misses the point.

If all you care about is specs why didn't you buy a Droid instead of a Pre? It would be quite easy to make a chart very similar to the one for the iPad versus the NetBook -- and the Droid would trample the Pre.

My point is that it has nothing to do with fanatics or specs. It has everything to do with the experience. I would think that most webOS users would understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Fanz implies some population that buys Apple product over and over again. I'm saying that Apple is pulling in new customers -- not Apple hard liners.

I guess I am a little guilty of being an Apple Ma fanatic, but I do not own an Ipod or but music from the iTunes store. I chose a webOS phone over the iPhone for the same reason I chose a Mac over Windows. I was after a different "experience." It just seems odd that people on these forums are making a big deal out of the specs. That completely misses the point.

If all you care about is specs why didn't you buy a Droid instead of a Pre? It would be quite easy to make a chart very similar to the one for the iPad versus the NetBook -- and the Droid would trample the Pre.

My point is that it has nothing to do with fanatics or specs. It has everything to do with the experience. I would think that most webOS users would understand that.
    So are u saying that the chart is false??? i hope u didn't missed the quote at the end by Stevey boy.
    Last time i checked Driod is not going around lambasting "Adobe is lazy" and " <companyxyz> is evil" etc.. to assure people that their phone is some revolutionary piece of technology and <productabc> is just POS "which never did anything". If your gonna make these statements then back it up and that's what the list above is doing...
    Again u proved my point --->
    I guess I am a little guilty of being an Apple Ma fanatic
    The iPad is fine for pure information consumers. I am not that. I require a keyboard. The Pre would replace a Netbook or laptop for me IF I had a bluetooth keyboard profile and a serious notepad app.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    not me....

u should just buy the wifi one and tether with ur pre
    I actually like this idea a lot since I got tethering working on my Pre. I am torn between getting a netbook or something like an iPad. Over the years I have managed not to buy anything from Apple and for some reason I want to continue that streak.

I like the image that spills out what a netbook has vs. what the iPad won't have, but what does everyone think about the two against each other? I realize the iPad hasn't been unleashed yet, but just hypothetically.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbonizio View Post
    I actually like this idea a lot since I got tethering working on my Pre. I am torn between getting a netbook or something like an iPad. Over the years I have managed not to buy anything from Apple and for some reason I want to continue that streak.

I like the image that spills out what a netbook has vs. what the iPad won't have, but what does everyone think about the two against each other? I realize the iPad hasn't been unleashed yet, but just hypothetically.
    It all comes down to how you need to use it. If I was doing consumption only web browsing, then the iPad might be great.

Any type of text entry, Flash, and "normal" access to document storage makes a netbook win.

The fact that I can run "real" software on a netbook makes it a no-contest. I don't have a problem with OS/X computers. It is an open system. You can load on it what you want. I have a big personal and philosophical problem with the way the iPhone/iPod Touch app environment is controlled and jail breaking required to do what you want with them. I cannot support it with my money. Period.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It all comes down to how you need to use it. If I was doing consumption only web browsing, then the iPad might be great.

Any type of text entry, Flash, and "normal" access to document storage makes a netbook win.

The fact that I can run "real" software on a netbook makes it a no-contest. I don't have a problem with OS/X computers. It is an open system. You can load on it what you want. I have a big personal and philosophical problem with the way the iPhone/iPod Touch app environment is controlled and jail breaking required to do what you want with them. I cannot support it with my money. Period.
    sacherjj, thanks very much for the feedback and I really do appreciate all the points you make. Just a quick question, are the the Word Whirl guy? I saw the icon under your name and just want to say it's addictive and awesome! Every time I go over my moms house she robs my phone from me to play Word Whirl and drains my battery! Back to our discussion....I think another good point is simply the physical keyboard compared to a virtual one was something that won me over with the Pre. I like being able to run "real" software also, especially since I'm a Wintel/Lintel developer myself.

Ahh, I might even have to take a run by Best Buy on the way home tonight and pick me up this sweet Samsung netbook I've been checking out. Thanks for your input and long live the Pre, Word Whirl, and my life long streak of not purchasing an Apple product!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbonizio View Post
    sacherjj, thanks very much for the feedback and I really do appreciate all the points you make. Just a quick question, are the the Word Whirl guy? I saw the icon under your name and just want to say it's addictive and awesome! Every time I go over my moms house she robs my phone from me to play Word Whirl and drains my battery! Back to our discussion....I think another good point is simply the physical keyboard compared to a virtual one was something that won me over with the Pre. I like being able to run "real" software also, especially since I'm a Wintel/Lintel developer myself.

Ahh, I might even have to take a run by Best Buy on the way home tonight and pick me up this sweet Samsung netbook I've been checking out. Thanks for your input and long live the Pre, Word Whirl, and my life long streak of not purchasing an Apple product!
    I'm the Word Whirl guy. Glad you are enjoying it. I apologize that the game does cause kidnappings.

Dell has a good price for their 10" Netbook today, $244 for the 6 cell model. Dell EPP Dell Mini 10 Netbook: Atom N450 1.66 GHz, 10.1" 1024x600 Screen w/ Webcam, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, WiFi, 6-Cell Battery, Intel NM10 Express, Windows 7 Starter $244 - Slickdeals.net

I'm partial to the Asus eeePC models, but they were the original.

It told me.
    Ordered 2 units this morning (the 32gig version). Cant wait to get rid of my netbook and my kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ordered 2 units this morning (the 32gig version). Cant wait to get rid of my netbook and my kindle.
    It will be interesting to hear what you think of reading on the iPad for a long time vs the Kindle. I resisted the Kindle for a long time, due to the DRM lock in, but I do like it the last 4 months I've used it.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Ordered mine this morning - just the $499 with 16MB and wifi-only. I'll probably end up giving it to a family member some months down the line and will upgrade if necessary.

Just the fact that it runs practically all iPhone OS apps out-of-the box will make it a success. The thing is blank slate just like the iPhone and iPod Touch were at launch. Nobody had any idea what apps would be eventually be developed.

So, as you use the apps on your Pre that were basically invented for the iPhone platform, just think about might be invented for the iPad in coming months. If the iPad sells more units on launch day than the Pre or Pix sells in a full quarter then developers will probably take notice of the new opportunity.
    I kind of see what you're saying but the iPhone was not a completely blank slate when it was released. It filled an actual need in the market place even before the App Store - people needed a cell phone and it provided the best media player on the market too, something people had been wishing Apple would do for phones for 3 years prior. Trust me I had a Motorola SLVR and the iTunes app on that POS did not cut it That's what got me to make the leap to the iPhone. Throw in the simple and clean UI and its overall packaging of touch features and the iPhone could only be a huge hit, it essentially brought smart phones to the masses.

I'm of the belief that the iPad will be a so-so success at best - that is to say, a success compared to the rest of industry (a better seller than the Kindles and Nooks of the world for example) but not so much by Apple's high standards. There are plenty of folks that will buy it b/c it will suit their needs or more precisely their desires, but there are plenty of other folks who have zero need for something like the iPad, Slate or JooJoo, the value add is simply not there. The same could not have been said for the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It will be interesting to hear what you think of reading on the iPad for a long time vs the Kindle. I resisted the Kindle for a long time, due to the DRM lock in, but I do like it the last 4 months I've used it.
    I have read full books on my iPhone, so I expect to like the iPad reading experience very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have read full books on my iPhone, so I expect to like the iPad reading experience very much.
    I've read full books on my Pre too, but it's hard on the eyes and for extended reading (if you're like me) the iPad will have the same problem, it will be hard on the eyes.

I didn't go with the Kindle, I went with the Nook and have given up reading on my Pre. My eyes thank me
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    So are u saying that the chart is false??? i hope u didn't missed the quote at the end by Stevey boy.
    Last time i checked Driod is not going around lambasting "Adobe is lazy" and " <companyxyz> is evil" etc.. to assure people that their phone is some revolutionary piece of technology and <productabc> is just POS "which never did anything". If your gonna make these statements then back it up and that's what the list above is doing...
    Again u proved my point --->
    The chart looks right to me. If you understood the context of Steve's quote you would know that he was comparing a NetBook to a full laptop. His point was that a NetBook does no do anything better than a full blown laptop --it is just cheaper. On the other hand, the iPad form factor was to do things better than a laptop. And he was not talking about specs. He was talking the experience. For example, I think that looking at photos in the living room or reading a newspaper in bed is going to be a whole better with the iPad than with a laptop.

Yes. I am a long-time Mac user -- not a "buy anything Apple fanatic." My point is that the people who will buy the iPad are the same people who are buying the iPods and iPhones. I don't own either.

It sounds like you have as much against Apple as you do the iPad. I can sympathize with you to a certain extend. That is part of the reason that I have been avoiding buying music on iTunes -- or even owning an iPod and getting a webOS phone instead of the iPhone. I would happily buy an decent iPad form factor device from somebody else. I just think it is going to be while before somebody makes anything that nice. I mean just look how long smart phones have been around and Palm is the only one who has figure out how to provide the kind of experience I want with webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Try before you buy....words to live by.
    My thoughts exactly. i hope to be able to try the ipad, joo joo, and HP slate before making any purchasing decisions.........but i have been known to spontaneously buy gadgets, and kick my self all the way out to the car afterwards. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I've read full books on my Pre too, but it's hard on the eyes and for extended reading (if you're like me) the iPad will have the same problem, it will be hard on the eyes.

I didn't go with the Kindle, I went with the Nook and have given up reading on my Pre. My eyes thank me
    I get no eyestrain at all reading on my iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post

I have the Kindle, which I love. I get eyestrain, blurry vision, words running together - but thats after reading for 36 to 48 hours nonstop with very little or no sleep.

When I get into a reading marathon mode, it starts on Friday night after work and ends between Sunday night at 11:00pm and Monday morning 3:00am. Between that time I get no more than 8 to 10 hours of sleep.

Two weeks ago, between Friday night and Monday morning I read 15 of the In Death books by Nora Roberts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    My thoughts exactly. i hope to be able to try the ipad, joo joo, and HP slate before making any purchasing decisions.........but i have been known to spontaneously buy gadgets, and kick my self all the way out to the car afterwards. lol.
    How do you plan to get a hold of and try the JooJoo before you buy one?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    not me....

U should just buy the wifi one and tether with ur pre
    how do you tether ipad with pre?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12