Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykatta View Post
    Just curious if anyone else out here is getting an iPad? Preorders start March 12 I'm definitely getting on board. As a long time Palm user then I love my Pre but it definitely is lacking in many categories. Screen size, quality apps, build quality, good media playback etc.

I know, Palm users seem to have developed some sort of anti-Apple reflex, but I'm thinking that the Pre + iPad + MyTether is going to be a very nice couch/travel setup. So, is anyone else getting an iPad or am I the only fool out here.
    I might consider the HP tablet running Windows 7 but I really dont see where they are superior to a $300 netbook (from a functional perspective). If I bought one it would have more to do with the "cool toy" factor.

Ipad? limited memory and expansion at a premium price? no thanks.

btw, Steve doesnt sell things. he rents them.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    What are the chances of supply shortages?...u buy and then sell it when supply is short and demand is high...
    That's my backup plan. I'm agreeing with many criticisms said in this thread. This doesn't do enough, it's under powered, the size is awkward, I wouldn't take it out to town and all. But I do see it fitting that part of my life where the Pre is too small and a laptop is too cumbersome.

I dont think this will hit the hysteria that Apple or the media wants it to, but I do think that there is going to be some sort of real/imaginary shortage. So if this doesnt work out it's good to know that some Apple lunatic will take it off my hands and i wont lose much.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Not me, overpriced and imo pretty useless.
    I agree completely. It doesn't really provide much more functionality then an iPod touch at a significantly higher price. If it wasn't so locked down I would think it is pretty neat but for the price the functionality is awfully lacking. I picked up a Dell Mini 9 for $200 that I can do the following with:

• Install any software I choose
    • Gives a full web browsing experience (even Flash, although it can struggle with Flash at times)
    • Install any OS I choose (I have windows 7 and Ubuntu installed on it)
    • Upgrade memory (which I did)
    • Upgrade the SSD (which I did)
    • Has an SD card slot (which I use all the time)
    • Hook up any USB device I want to it (such as my Pre, my iPod touch, external hard drives, keyboard/mouse, etc, etc...)
    • Hook it to an external display (The iPad can do this also but requires an additional adapter for extra cost)

For about 3x as much money (or more) I would lose virtually all of that functionality and not really gain anything that my iPod touch already does.

I HATE iTunes and the idea of a $500+ device being tied to that awful piece of software scares me away also.
    If you are going to restrict yourself to only using products from -not evil- companies then you'd never be able to drive to work, get on the internet, wear any clothing and would starve to death.

I don't disagree with people that say Apple is evil, but the difference between Apple and most other companies out there is that when they do something good or bad then it becomes headline news.
    I drive a Honda.. own a Dell.. use a pre. Apple in my mind atleast is much more 'evil' than those.
    If I could throw WebOS on this threw some rom hackery I would buy two. But seeing how we live in the real world I will wait until the Jailbreaking community shows us what it can really do. Regarding the competition, running a full fledged OS like Windows 7 on a tablet seems like a bad idea for HP's slate. Sure you can do a lot more web surfing and desktop like tasks but a tablet needs to be easy to use and fast at the same time. The iPad might not be a geeks pride and joy but I know for sure it will run fast and smooth. Even in HP's Slate Demo it was lagging which was a complete turn off for me.

Hopefully after the Jailbreak, the iPad will have some type of side screen thumb keyboard for easier typing compared to the current middle screen keyboard that will be very unusable for people on the go.
    Absolutely no interest. I've already got two real tablets that I can do much, much more on- my convertible Dell XT tablet, and a slate/hybrid HP tc1100.
    I have an Ipod touch and do use it regularly at home (not for music), but I'll just wait for the competition to see what they have to offer. IMHO, the hp Slate looks more interesting.
    If you are going to restrict yourself to only using products from -not evil- companies then you'd never be able to drive to work, get on the internet, wear any clothing and would starve to death.

I don't disagree with people that say Apple is evil, but the difference between Apple and most other companies out there is that when they do something good or bad then it becomes headline news.
    For me it's the level of evil and what tactics they use. I understand every company uses tactics that aren't always kosher, but for me it's how far and how often you're willing to go. I listen to a lot of tech news so I'm just as aware of Google trying to take over the world and Microsofts tactics, but for me Apple takes it too far and too often.

I vote with my money and no matter how fantastic I think an Apple product is they will never get my money unless they change their ways.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    im on board to get one or maybe two depending on how cool the first one is
  10.    #30  
    I'm loving the responses here, both positive and negative, so don't think I'm trying to argue with anyone. But here's the two trends I'm noticing.

1) The iPad gets shot down because of who makes it rather than what it does. I read many people say WebOS would be a great tablet OS and I agree. But what exactly would WebOS provide that iPhone OS can't? Especially if 4.0 brings multitasking.

As UntidyGuy said, Apple has 150k apps, heavy developer support and tons of content. People who don't involve themselves in corporate wars should be able to appreciate how enticing that is.

2) People talk about what the iPad CAN'T do compared to a netbook, Win7 Tablet or Notebook. But isn't that the point? I got rid of my netbook when I realized that a netbook is nothing but a crippled notebook, and that squeezing a full OS into a tiny package was impractical because you're still making major sacrifices. And for what?

We all aspired to create media on our high end notebooks or be more efficient with super portable netbooks, but let's be honest. In the end we all do the exact same thing. We go online, listen to music and read email. And that's why the future isn't to cram the desktop into a tablet, the future is to have a Mobile OS powering mobile devices. WebOS, iPhone OS, Windows Mobile 7 and Android are very capable OS's that are meant to scale on small screen, they're not as power hungry and even though they don't satisfy 100% of your desktop usage, but it's perfect for sitting on the couch to read email, go online and consume media.

Oh, and as a final selling point. Street Fighter IV just came out in App form. Time to dig out my Chun Li costume.
    Last edited by kittykatta; 03/12/2010 at 01:10 PM.
    I totally agree. Why would I pay a hefty price for something my phone already does? We want out portable devices to do things their larger counterparts do, but lets face it. We are only going to do 3 things with them. Surf the internet...listen to music...write email. To prove my point, for all those who has bout a netbook. What do you use it for and why did you buy it?
    Quote Originally Posted by malecslomas View Post
    I'd much rather get a JooJoo
    Come Oct, I have to choice between the Dell Mini 5, The HTC SuperSonic, or the HP Slate.
    yes sir me and my wife so she won't touch mine can't wait ....
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    1) The iPad gets shot down because of who makes it rather than what it does. I read many people say WebOS would be a great tablet OS and I agree. But what exactly would WebOS provide that iPhone OS can't?
    I agree with most of what you said, but I would love to have a giant size WebOS device. Just imagine the "big cards" that you swap in and out to quickly switch between email, browsing, photos, etc. Although I will probably get an iPad anyway, I will probably get frustrated with hitting the home key instead of switching apps. I know that drives me crazy when I use my wife's Touch.

Regarding applications, most people will spend almost all of their time doing a few things like Web, email, photos. I'm sure there will be interesting apps on the iPad that will not be on the WebOS_Pad, but the situation exists today with the WebOS and iPhone and here I am with my Pixi Plus that does a few important things much better than the iPhone. Ohhps. I'm starting to sound like Steve Job's -- only promoting the wrong product
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Come Oct, I have to choice between the Dell Mini 5, The HTC SuperSonic, or the HP Slate.
    Don't forget the JooJoo!
    JooJoo revamps interface ahead of launch, adds local video playback -- and changes color -- Engadget

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    So, tell me about this Joojoo, from what I've seen... it's the same price as the iPad, with a 12" screen, that does nothing but browse the web, and apparently can play some videos stores on an external memory stick. So it seems it's a slightly bigger iPad that only has the browser app but with flash.
    Problem with the JooJoo is, I have serious doubts about the long term viability of the company.

If they are around in a year, i'd be surprised.
    Between a laptop and a smartphone, what utility does the ipad fill? For me nothing.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    I like the 3G option with the iPad, where you can easily sign up and activate/deactivate the option when needed. So when you're planning to travel out of town and want to activate 3G you can do so and just pay for 1 month of usage. Very convenient. Of course, the 3G version of iPad is a higher cost than the WiFi only version...
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I ordered the 3G 64gb version. Which come to think of it kind of puts me in further with apple's ecosystem along with iphone. I'll still never own a Mac tho
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast