Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2. #2  
    I view Android as the main reason WebOS is not significantly more widespread. If Android fails due to the law suit it will be a shame for the open format and, in the broad scheme of things I think it would be a bad thing for consumers in general. However, an alternate reality without Android is one in which WebOS would flourish.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I view Android as the main reason WebOS is not significantly more widespread. If Android fails due to the law suit it will be a shame for the open format and, in the broad scheme of things I think it would be a bad thing for consumers in general. However, an alternate reality without Android is one in which WebOS would flourish.
    I disagree. The poor build quality of the HW and the worst marketing in decades are the two main reasons that WebOS is not more widespread.

    Word of mouth travels fast and the word on the streets is that the HW is very suspect. The million dollar, modern condo interior rocks (WebOS) but is rendered near moot on a terrible, unsound foundation (HW).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4.    #4  
    I have been talking to my friend about this, and he thinks that Nokia, Palm and Motorola should join forces and do a group suit against Apple for infringing on their patents. This is what he said he would do if the phone market was Romance of the Three Kingdoms on Super Nintendo.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  5. #5  
    It has nothing to do with build quality, it's an issue that's not really as widespread as people here on Precentral tend to believe. Yes, it's not the best (and certainly could be better) but forums like this tend to skew to the negative giving a clearly biased view. Android is huge right now because it's free. Any OEM can use Android and so they do, they don't have to pay for licensing which saves with overhead. A world without Android would bode well for Palm but if Apple is on the patent warpath then Palm will be targeted eventually.
  6.    #6  
    Just remember that Palm has been in the smart phone market longer than anyone else. They have a huge number of patents under their belt. I would be willing to bet that Apple has infringed on a number of them. I believe this is partially the reason why Apple's lawsuit against Palm really hasn't progressed. It could also be that Apple doesn't view Palm as a threat.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7. #7  
    I'm pretty sure IF Webos was widespread as Andriod...Apple would still dropped a law suit...they are destroying any and every threat/competition....i doubt Windows Mobile will be a savior its way 2 late in the market.
  8.    #8  
    yea, but if there is one company that Apple relies on to function, it is MS. If MS decided to pull Office support from OSX, what do you think would happen to Apple?

    However MS won't do this because MS needs Apple around to prevent anti-trust suits. I think Apple knows this too, so they may let MS into the smartphone market.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  9. #9  
    apple is scared of palm plain and simple i view them like David and Goliath.
  10. ThomR's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    apple is scared of palm plain and simple i view them like David and Goliath.
    I am going to have to call BS on that. 10 years ago, yes Palm was one of the largest players in the mobile market while Apple was still tinkering with thier rip they called the Newton.
    Today, not even close. Look at the market share numbers. I love my Pre, WebOS is a superior OS, however Palm is FAR from the Goliath to Apple's David.
  11.    #11  
    I think he is saying Apple is Goliath and Palm is David.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  12. #12  
    lol
  13. derrythe's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    yea, but if there is one company that Apple relies on to function, it is MS. If MS decided to pull Office support from OSX, what do you think would happen to Apple?

    However MS won't do this because MS needs Apple around to prevent anti-trust suits. I think Apple knows this too, so they may let MS into the smartphone market.
    I'm guessing they would sell more copies of iWork.
  14. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    However MS won't do this because MS needs Apple around to prevent anti-trust suits. I think Apple knows this too, so they may let MS into the smartphone market.
    Oh MS is not in the smartphone market I wonder what those old phones I used ran as an os must have been an old apple os... Think it was called windows mobile... Now I gonna have to go dig in the old phone box to check...

    But ya I hope they all band together and crush this BS apple is pulling.
  15. #15  
    I decided I'm gunna be a patent lawyer. They are all making BANK right now with all of these lawsuits flying left and right.

    on another not, I've decided that if palm fails I'll probably go with winpho7.
  16. #16  
    I decided I'm gunna be a patent lawyer. They are all making BANK right now with all of these lawsuits flying left and right.

    on another note, I've decided that if palm fails I'll probably go with winpho7.
  17. #17  
    Android is not going anywhere, and apple would be stupid to go against palm due to the patents palm holds. Apple are HUGE hypocrites, they infringe on others yet as soon as someone threatens their market share they cry wolf and get all sue happy. They just can't take the fact that open source phones can dominate so easily.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
  18. #18  
    wow, what i get out of this is Palm needs to be licensing the OS to other manufactures. They should take the MS approach and have strict requirements to avoid fragmentation, but they really shouldn't be doing the hardware themselves. They can't move fast enough with so little money...
  19. #19  
    Hi first post here . I got the pre coming from winmo it's a great OS .Hardware could be alot better considering it's entry time in the market. You couldn't give me an ianything lol don't care for apple at all. Never liked the hardware either. I hope palm makes it as I'd like to see webOS evolve but if they don't I'll probably head back to MS. Andriod looks like a google nightmare to come especially after watching their search engine degrade into the marketing machine it is now.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    wow, what i get out of this is Palm needs to be licensing the OS to other manufactures. They should take the MS approach and have strict requirements to avoid fragmentation, but they really shouldn't be doing the hardware themselves. They can't move fast enough with so little money...
    I wonder if Palm could provide WebOS at no cost to other phone makers, at least for a few years... It's hard to beat free.

    I can't say I'm clear on what Palm's license strategy is, or whether they would like others to manufacture handsets...

    Personally, I think they should try to get WebOS on everything. Note to Pre developers... See if you can figure out how to run WebOS on the Motorola Droid... Do you realize how amazing that would be? Even bigger than running OSX on non-apple computers (which is actually being done today - search youtube...)

    If phone users could "switch" to WebOS on their existing hardware... Palm could crush their competition in a heartbeat.

    That idea is royalty free, so get busy!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions