Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Definitely happy that they got rid of the worst commercial marketing ever made....the Moms.

It's nice that they are making a plain simple go over the features commercial with Verizon......but what did they really advertise that is separating them from Droid and iPhone?

On the Buzz worthy commercials Motorola put out leading up to it's release, you saw constant Droid Does commercials.

The stock is dropping lower today, I looked at the news on reasons why, and it keeps coming down to marketing. What surprises me about that is the fact that Rubinstein WORKED for Apple, you would think he would had taken something in the marketing philosophy end and applied it to Palm.

We have Cards that allow multitasking that WE control. We don't count on the CPU to decide what programs will run or not, WE decide. Palm does Multi tasking better.

We have form factor, much smaller than the Droid and iPhone with the same power

We have a Video Camera that allows editing as soon as we are done. Taking video of your kid playing baseball? Want to edit out the 2 strikes before the Home Run? Can you do that on Droid or iPhone?

We have Touchstone, want this capability on iPhone or Droid? You need to take the large form factor and make it larger to be able to buy a $150 Powermat that will give it the ability to do so.

Useable physical keyboard.....iPhone dosent have it, and Droids is awful

I started this thread not as another negative one to point out more doom and gloom, I REALLY want this to succeed. But as a hope that someone from Palm may actually read it, I'd like to see what you all come up with in regards to Pre has, Droid and iPhone don't......let's have some fun with this
    You're forgetting, if you watch the Droid ad it asks if your phone goes on the internet.

I don't know about you, but my phone doesn't. I am so jealous that the Droid has brought the technological capability of going on the internet. Surely that must have taken much work.

For real, I haven't had a phone the last 10 years that could go on the internet.

oh wait...
    The Droid goes on the internet!!

I am outta here suckas! Just got make one thread about all my problems with the pre that could easily be solved and I am gone.

But really, while Palm's marketing has been awful (getting better), they certainly don't need another "does" or "doesn't" ad. It is tired and done. It needs to be fresh and make them stand out. Don Draper could probably whip something up in no time.
    You might get more responses here:

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-platform-chat/
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    The Droid goes on the internet!!

I am outta here suckas! Just got make one thread about all my problems with the pre that could easily be solved and I am gone.

But really, while Palm's marketing has been awful (getting better), they certainly don't need another "does" or "doesn't" ad. It is tired and done. It needs to be fresh and make them stand out. Don Draper could probably whip something up in no time.
    Palm's marketing has been awful, but so has Andriod's.

The ONLY reason the Andriod OS is selling is because it has the name Google attached to it.

Their ads are just terrible.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You're forgetting, if you watch the Droid ad it asks if your phone goes on the internet.

I don't know about you, but my phone doesn't. I am so jealous that the Droid has brought the technological capability of going on the internet. Surely that must have taken much work.

For real, I haven't had a phone the last 10 years that could go on the internet.

oh wait...
    Thats funny.....got to love when they state the obvious, eh?

The interesting thing is apparently Palms main demographic for sales is the 35 year old male......why wouldn't they play more up to that than the pixi dust, and moms?
    Just because Rubinstein worked for Apple doesn't mean he knows how to do ads. Remember, he is an engineer.

Multitasking is hard to sell. Switching between apps is something most platforms can do just not as elegantly as WebOS. But showing off elegance is tricky. I tried to do this with my friend who has an iTouch. He just counted the number of touches and gestures and they were about the same between iPhone OS and WebOS.

However, what is easy to sell, is showing unobtrusive notifications in games. Also, people need to show synergy more. That is a really big selling point for many.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Palm's marketing has been awful, but so has Andriod's.

The ONLY reason the Andriod OS is selling is because it has the name Google attached to it.

Their ads are just terrible.
    I beg to differ......they took iPhone head on with those ads, flat out said, we are going after you. That created lots of free publicity, buzz, and talk.

The robot commercials may not have content, but it grabs your attention to look.....
    <<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    The Pre is still slow as mess compared to these giants.

however, you're right. The marketing is god awful. So many selling points that are not addressed.
    My non-tech friend was actually talking about that recent iphone ad that shows off talking and going on the internet... Really?

Sprint did the best advertising for this phone. I'm talking about the one where the guy is small, but he's swiping through large cards. I think it's the dunkin donuts one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I beg to differ......they took iPhone head on with those ads, flat out said, we are going after you. That created lots of free publicity, buzz, and talk.

The robot commercials may not have content, but it grabs your attention to look.....
    They did it wrong!

Their biggest claim is that their phone could go on the internet and had a nice screen! Seriously, watch the ad.

If you're trying to say your phone does a whole bunch of things, show it! Don't Point out a feature EVERY PHONE OF THE LAST DECADE OR MORE HAS HAD and then say you're competing with the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't know why webos hasn't takenn off like iphonne/droid. Apple must put something in the H20. They make a commercial showig 'multitasking' and everyody thinks it's great. Show them a Pre+ w/ 20 cards open and all they want to know is if you can use voice and data simultaneously. Who cares? Most people will never use it. But the marketing works.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    The Pre is still slow as mess compared to these giants.

however, you're right. The marketing is god awful. So many selling points that are not addressed.
    My non-tech friend was actually talking about that recent iphone ad that shows off talking and going on the internet... Really?

Sprint did the best advertising for this phone. I'm talking about the one where the guy is small, but he's swiping through large cards. I think it's the dunkin donuts one.
    I never saw that ad....I'll have to look it up on youtube when I get a chance.

They did it wrong!

Their biggest claim is that their phone could go on the internet and had a nice screen! Seriously, watch the ad.

If you're trying to say your phone does a whole bunch of things, show it! Don't Point out a feature EVERY PHONE OF THE LAST DECADE OR MORE HAS HAD and then say you're competing with the iPhone.
    Look at their sales amigo.....the first push was all about features vs iPhone. Now it's just about the maintaining the market. The free navigation door to door directions and maps was another, the FAST internet, the incredible video, blah blah blah....maintain the market
    If I had the time i would wip up a little demo commerical that asks retorical questions and ends with some punchline.

opens and starts on web, more in this post

basically in the end

Droid don't
    Iphone can't

with palm, its possible.

something like that
    Last edited by windzilla; 03/05/2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: avoiding the double post
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I don't know why webos hasn't takenn off like iphonne/droid. Apple must put something in the H20. They make a commercial showig 'multitasking' and everyody thinks it's great. Show them a Pre+ w/ 20 cards open and all they want to know is if you can use voice and data simultaneously. Who cares? Most people will never use it. But the marketing works.
    It's not just that ad, it's the dozens of other ads before that ad.....just think of that ad as another app for that.....that was my point about the Droid.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    If I had the time i would wip up a little demo commerical that asks retorical questions and ends with some punchline.

opens and starts on web, more in this post

basically in the end

Droid don't
    Iphone can't

with palm, its possible.

something like that
    I think that is great....lol heck email that over to Palm
    Someone tweeted this yesterday and I thought it was awesome, I don't know where it's from or who made it (I'm sure it's listed on youtube I'm just too tired to look) but this should be on tv.

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I like the "Palm Pre Does..." idea that the OP brought up. But if you think about it then it could be shot down so easily that it would backfire on Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Multitasking is hard to sell. Switching between apps is something most platforms can do just not as elegantly as WebOS. But showing off elegance is tricky.
    Showing "elegance" is visual so it's an easy sell. The hard part is showing off usefulness. Something people need to consider is that Multitasking wasn't the "missing feature" on the iPhone until quality apps became available.

Imagine if multitasking existed on the 1stGen (or early app store era) iPhones and you can swap between phone dialer, internet, messaging and twitter client. Would people really be going as crazy about it as the Palm users are?

Palm's multitasking system is a fantastic implementation but the downloadable (and built in) apps are so memory hungry/battery intensive/slow then most of the time you're better off just closing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    We have a Video Camera that allows editing as soon as we are done. Taking video of your kid playing baseball? Want to edit out the 2 strikes before the Home Run? Can you do that on Droid or iPhone?
    actually, yes. yes you can. they are even running it in a recent commercial that i have been seeing alot of lately.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spongamabob View Post
    actually, yes. yes you can. they are even running it in a recent commercial that i have been seeing alot of lately.

Shhhhhhh

ops:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast