1.    #1  
    Apple suing phone maker HTC over iPhone patents - Yahoo! Finance

Wonder what that's all about. Think it's the newly implemented multi-touch? or do you think it has more to do with Sense UI then Android? Does Palm have a patent portfolio that makes it immune?
    This thread should have been posted in cross platform.

Palm invented the smartphone so yes they have a huge patent portfolio that makes them untouchable.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    This thread should have been posted in cross platform.

Palm invented the smartphone so yes they have a huge patent portfolio that makes them untouchable.
    also Palm invented the term " Apps " and first used it on a device, and if apple add multitask on the new iphone, Palm should sue Apple. Hope they go bankrupt then
    Apple uses some of Palms patents as well. Nothing really new here other than Apple suing HTC. Add that to the Nokia/Apple lawsuit.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    HTC should buy Palm. Legal problem solved.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Engadget has a fantastic breakdown of the patents here: (And I guarantee it will **** you off)
    Engadget: Apple vs HTC: a patent breakdown

I made a thread complaining about How Come Apple Can Patent EVERYTHING 2 weeks ago and now here we are.

Technology evolves in unison so for these patents to be awarded to Apple is absolutely ridiculous. Putting a phone to your head, certain ways of scrolling, gesture to unlock, rotation etc. It's sickening to see that Apple even got these patents in the first place.

I buy Apple products, but I'm a fan of technology. And Apple is standing in the way of companies from developing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Engadget has a fantastic breakdown of the patents here: (And I guarantee it will **** you off)
    Engadget: Apple vs HTC: a patent breakdown

I made a thread complaining about How Come Apple Can Patent EVERYTHING 2 weeks ago and now here we are.

Technology evolves in unison so for these patents to be awarded to Apple is absolutely ridiculous. Putting a phone to your head, certain ways of scrolling, gesture to unlock, rotation etc. It's sickening to see that Apple even got these patents in the first place.

I buy Apple products, but I'm a fan of technology. And Apple is standing in the way of companies from developing.

I agree that patent lawsuits might slow down innovation, mostly in the short term. But if a company (small or large) spends years working on an innovative product/capability, shouldn't they get to leverage that to make a profit (via sales, license fees, etc)? If not, a small company might see its innovations copied by a deep pocket rival. Without a patent or similar protection the small company would have no recourse and go out of business shortly.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Wonder what that's all about. Think it's the newly implemented multi-touch? or do you think it has more to do with Sense UI then Android? Does Palm have a patent portfolio that makes it immune?
    Apple's lawsuit is simple: Android is the new black and Apple wants to do whatever they can to to slow down the momentum. It's not like Apple hasn't or doesn't infringe on other companies' patents. Kodak and Nokia are both suing Apple right now for infringing on patents.
    palm may have more patents, but apple has more money...if they really wanted, apple could tie up palm in legal battles for years...until palm runs out of cash...
    this patent suit is serious....this is not some bs lawsuit over gestures or the name of apps...apple is claiming that htc is using some of apples low level kernel code processes....this could really fragg up htc and google!
    Our own Derek Kessler wrote a great editorial on the subject over at TIPB:

http://bit.ly/dnEARS

I also agree this feels very much like a power grab by Apple. Book publishers have faced a similar issue for many years with the passing of laws that continually extend copyrights for large creative corporations, which can prevent other authors from re-interpreting those ideas and characters, potentially stifling creativity. It's dangerous to have so much control of ideas in the hands of one company or entity, and Apple appears to be a very controlling company.
    Last edited by kallan42; 03/02/2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Hyperlink not working - shortened