Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tried a Droid, wow, worst keyboard in the industry IMO and the VK is not much better.
    I just asked someone that I know who works for Palm. He is a rep that I text back and forth with when I have questions . He's actually the guy that I got my Pre Plus from.

I asked him why Verizon sales people push the DROID and he said they sell what they know and they have no idea how to use the Pre Plus.

He also said that they get charged if they sell a phone and it is returned. If they dont know the phone or cant help a frustrated consumer they are going to fail at selling it.
    Why would a Verizon employee waste their time if they can just push DROID all day.

It's a shame.

He did say that Verizon is selling a good amount of them at the stores that he visits.

I'm sure you are all are aware of how booming the economy is here in Michigan
    that's really good to hear. i'm glad you got a chance to play with it. I was considering waiting for HTC Hero before i got my palm but when i got a chance to play with both the on screen keyboard seemed great but not that great when i tried to use it.

Also seemed a bit slower, i'm really glad i didn't jump the gun and gave both of them a fair shot. obviously as you can tell i decided to get the palm pre ;-) i've had minor issues w/ mine..

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I just asked someone that I know who works for Palm. He is a rep that I text back and forth with when I have questions . He's actually the guy that I got my Pre Plus from.

I asked him why Verizon sales people push the DROID and he said they sell what they know and they have no idea how to use the Pre Plus.

He also said that they get charged if they sell a phone and it is returned. If they dont know the phone or cant help a frustrated consumer they are going to fail at selling it.
    Why would a Verizon employee waste their time if they can just push DROID all day.

It's a shame.

He did say that Verizon is selling a good amount of them at the stores that he visits.

I'm sure you are all are aware of how booming the economy is here in Michigan
    i didn't know that, i thought that only applied to people who work for commission, that doesn't seem fair people return phones for the dumbest reasons some times lol

Not sure if its true, just a heads up :

"I handle inventory for several VZW stores, we have sold 0. I recently sent all of them back except 2 of each per store. 1 for display, 1 in case someone wants to buy it.

Also: Note to palm…..

If you can’t bypass the mandatory activation screens to actually USE the damn menus and see what the phone is like, it doesn’t matter how great your OS is. "

I seem to remember you can't actually get by the activation screen. Is this wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Not sure if its true, just a heads up :

"I handle inventory for several VZW stores, we have sold 0. I recently sent all of them back except 2 of each per store. 1 for display, 1 in case someone wants to buy it.

Also: Note to palm…..

If you can’t bypass the mandatory activation screens to actually USE the damn menus and see what the phone is like, it doesn’t matter how great your OS is. "

I seem to remember you can't actually get by the activation screen. Is this wrong?
    why don't they have ones that are setup for demo purposes? bestbuy had them activated and also connected to wifi for me to play with

I'd guarantee their commissions and spiffs are higher. Can only blame the manufacturer for that one.
    This is true until you get to places like Best Buy where there are no commissions or spiffs paid. Then it's all up to the trainers and managers to decide which unit they want their 'sales' people to push... which brings us back to profit-margins and kickbacks from the carriers.
    ...Also: Note to palm…..If you can’t bypass the mandatory activation screens to actually USE the damn menus and see what the phone is like, it doesn’t matter how great your OS is. "

You can't blame Palm for this.. the units have a Demo mode they are supposed to be set in when a store doesn't have them activated. It's up to the store to know enough to set them up correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by speckit1994 View Post
    ive had both and as nice as the OS is on the pre you can do alot more with the droid, and theres way more hacks
    Android is been around longer, so im not surprise. i have very high expectation that Palm will come through for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Back in the day of the iphone 3g, if you wanted 3g games, it was the only phone on the market, no doubt, it would have been the only choice, but that is no longer true.
    I'm starting to think I agree with those folks who think Palm should do a commercial showing 3D gaming. I've not been big on trying to come up with good ads, because I'm not an ad person, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Just do an ad showing playing a 3D game (NFS, say), then a notification popping up with an appointment, then opening the calendar, then making a related call or email, and then--BAM!--going straight back to the game that's been paused all this time in the background.

At this point, there's nothing that shows the multitasking capabilities and advantage so strongly as this.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    vz reps aren't paid any more for a droid or a pre, at least in the simplest of terms. Like someone else said though, returns cost reps money and the droid gets returned the least.

some will also look at in the sense that there are more accessory options to sell for a droid.

I myself don't sell that way, but it happens.
    why don't they have ones that are setup for demo purposes? bestbuy had them activated and also connected to wifi for me to play with

Sprint did too.
    Last edited by LocoTreoGurl; 02/25/2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: forgot to include quote
    Long Live Palm
    I disagree with the idea of reps selling what they know. I was at best buy around christmas time, in the phone section just killing time, tons of reps trying to sell stuff. one rep comes up to me and asks if i've checked out the droid OS as if he was trying to sell me on it. I pulled out my pre and told him I'm happy with it. he then pulled a pre out of his pocket. so he had a pre and was talking to me about droid. i thought it was strange....oh well.
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Well I finally received my Pre Plus today and am looking forward to using it. I am now loading the 1.4 update before I do anything. I am going to have to get something to help with the fingerprints - I can already tell that they are going to drive me crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM View Post
    Well I finally received my Pre Plus today and am looking forward to using it. I am now loading the 1.4 update before I do anything. I am going to have to get something to help with the fingerprints - I can already tell that they are going to drive me crazy!
    Here's my suggestion:
    Skinomi TechSkin - Gadget and Cell Phone Screen Protectors, Skins, Cases, Shields, Covers

Love mine. $9, lifetime guarantee, no scratches ever, fingerprints and smudges are only noticeable really when the screen is off...

Long live thermoplastic urethane!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    A part of me totally agrees with you and I would love them to just push the Pre.

However, if they took customer service seriously, then they would spend some time with the customer to find out exactly how they would use the phone and what's important to them in a smartphone. Then recommend the phone that matched the customer's needs the best.

-Skippy
    you mean you want VZW sales reps to actually WORK! Blasphemer!!!

joking aside, i agree. But it seems pretty logical to me that they would push their most popular phone, and that right now, is the droid. So while im a little disgusted about their lack of a "lil' love" for palm, they're gonna choose the path of least resistance and push a phone with some street cred.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM View Post
    cotton shirts works well during the day, but i always wipe mine down pretty good at home with a micro fiber towel.
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 03/05/2010 at 09:22 PM.
    This is how it worked at Verizon kiosks/stores when I applied for a job through an employment agency.

You earn a base pay. Might be different now, but then I would make 9 bucks an hour. I would get that pay no matter what, even if I sold nothing that pay period. I would earn a commission for each sale, I didn't ask how much, but I imagine small. It's typically less than 10% of profits. You don't actually SEE commission until you "pay for yourself", meaning you have to earn enough commission to equal your base pay. Any comission over your base pay then gets paid to you at the end of the month. If a Verizon salesman sees $10 a month in commission, I would be surprised. Figure the average profit in consumer electronics is 5%, and your commission is 10% of that on a generous plan, you're not making a whole lot off a $150 sale, are ya.....Yes, if a phone gets returned, the salesman that sold it loses that commission. Obviously. Company thinking (and somewhat rightly so) is that if you'd done your job as a salesman right, the customer would be off happily using their phone, not coming back unhappy and costing the company money. They can't resell the used phone, all they can do is recondition it and put it aside for warranty replacement.

Overselling one product over another does absolutely nothing for Verizon reps, especially in smaller markets. They're not likely to see any perks out of it anyway. I can see specializing in a few products, it's tough to learn all 30 phones sold well enough to answer every question thrown at you. Even ECMM didn't expect that, we had a couple of guys that worked the low/midrange guitars, a guy that did just keyboards, our studio guy who also did computers, one of the owners handled PA installations, I did drums/live PA systems, and I crossed over with the high end guitar guy, since I knew so much about PRS, Taylor, Martin, Gibson Custom Shop and Historic.......but I didn't touch ESP, Jackson, or anything in basses. That's how it should be. Verizon is screwing up in letting everybody in the store learn one product, and kinda glance at others, rather than having people learn everything about a few. Sure, the low end guys make less commission percentage-wise, but the idea is you sell 100 more. I might sell one PRS that week, but the guy handling Mexican Strats and Schecter would sell 30 of those. Evens out.
    My Omnia i910 got boring and frustrating so I went into Bell to buy a new phone (full price...ugh) and they tried so hard to push Omnia II on me, but I laughed and put them in their place. I tried out the Pre and was amazed...

I told them why I wouldn't get the Omnia II and why it makes no sense to get one.

"I don't want the Omnia II. It's WinMo 6.5 which will soon be overshadowed by Windows Phone 7 Series. It's not very finger friendly and it has a resistive screen which I'm done with. Why would I want this phone?"

They looked at me blankly and looked pwned.
    I've said this and I'll say it again:

I firmly believe that Android phones would not sell worth **** if it didn't have the Google name attached to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I've said this and I'll say it again:

I firmly believe that Android phones would not sell worth **** if it didn't have the Google name attached to it.
    Duh. Haha.

Android has the coolest apps though.. mostly google's own. Like google goggles, sky, earth, maps... And many cool functions for apps to work with other apps.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast