Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Tech Crunch article:
    91% Of iPhone Users Would Recommend Device Vs. 69% Of webOS Users: AdMob)

Seems the majority of people is somewhat dissapointed in WebOS.
    They also mention WebOS customers buy less apps compared to other platforms, but that's probably because half of the WebOS users have no apps available.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Well I guess I'm in the 69%, because I always tell anyone who asks to check out WebOS. ha

I've had iPhone users try and "convert" me... I don't usually see such zealotry outside of religion.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I may not be a math wiz, but when did 31 become a greater number than 69 (DUDE!)???
    I think the only thing truly holding Palm back is hardware. I love my Pre and I always have people saying "I didn't know it could do that" when I show them the phone. My daughter always complains about notifications on her iPod Touch. The only thing she doesn't like about the Pre is the size.

So sad that everyone thinks the iPhone and Android had a gazillion apps at launch and that the latest features were there from day 1.
    This stat doesn't particularly surprise me.

I love my pre and webos. I love the ability to multitask on a whim. I like being in control of my device (easy to homebrew when you don't have apple over your head chaining everything down). When I'm using it around people they often perk up and ask about it. My answer to all of them is exactly the same: It's a cool phone, but don't buy one.

I'm on my fourth pre thanks to defects in the hardware. On average my pre has barely been lasting a month before palm has to replace yet another shattered touchscreen. This feels like the phone-equivalent of owning a classic jaguar (better own two of them because one is -always- going to be in the shop). My phone has nearly spent as much time visiting palm as it has spent in my hand. The hardware issues I've experienced are completely unacceptable and I let -everyone- know all about them.

Sure, palm has replaced all of my defective handsets free-of-charge, but how long can I expect -that- to last? The handset warranty doesn't last as long as my contract, and considering the rapid and consistent rate of failure I've experienced I fully expect to be sitting with a dead phone 13 months into my contract with no recourse except paying for a replacement.

For all of their faults, Iphones don't experience this sort of failure rate. I've got plenty of friends who beat the hell out of their iphone and have absolutely no issues at present. They just work, and that allows for a good user experience. I've had almost every single one of those friends recommend an iphone to me. Add on top of that the seamless integration of itunes and a bazillion apps and games to use and it's easy to see why the average joe enjoys his iphone and spreads the "gospel". I don't want one (I've always disliked apple for their very protectionist software model and we-know-best attitude), but I can easily understand why so many people feel differently .
    I love my Pre and webOS but with a relatively high amount of hardware issues combined with a green OS at launch, I'm not surprised by these numbers. The iPhone has also had much more time to mature (both hardware and software wise) and the app store currently has a much larger selection of useful applications.

Additionally....because of absolutely horrific advertising campaigns it's primarily just the techno nerd crowd who has been purchasing webOS devices. We all know how much more critical we are with these things than the average person.

I'd say as time goes on Palms numbers will increase.
    I remember when the iphone just came out and the treo was king of the hill...

treo then = iphone now
    iphone then = webos now

hopefully, time will reverse it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    Tech Crunch article:
    [url= Of iPhone Users Would Recommend Device Vs. 69% Of webOS Users: AdMob[/url])

Seems the majority of people is somewhat dissapointed in WebOS.
    They also mention WebOS customers buy less apps compared to other platforms, but that's probably because half of the WebOS users have no apps available.
    how exactly is 31% the majority? Must be that "New Math"
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I just can not understand all the issues people are having with hardware. Where as "ncinerate" above has had multiple shattered screens, are they driving nails with it? I think the Pre is a great phone and the operating system is great. Could the hardware have a more rugged feel to it? Yes, and hopefully we will see something along those lines in the next generation. Will we see a Pre 2 for Sprint this year?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I hope palm follows apples model of releasing upgraded hardware every year. I would LOVE a pre2. Like everyone said, webOS is incredible...the actual pre though? Not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    I just can not understand all the issues people are having with hardware. Where as "ncinerate" above has had multiple shattered screens, are they driving nails with it? I think the Pre is a great phone and the operating system is great. Could the hardware have a more rugged feel to it? Yes, and hopefully we will see something along those lines in the next generation. Will we see a Pre 2 for Sprint this year?
    Same here. I'm on my first phone from June.
    The iPhone has one advantage: They're the standard.

The first to come out with apps on a large scale and be successful with it.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a large beast to take that down, because that's how our world works.

Lot's of people would say Beta was higher quality than VHS, but alas who won that?

Palm needs to work on battery life and new cutting edge apps for WebOs. They do those two things, and they'll begin to chip away at others.

They also need to be cutting edge with "synergy".
    31% of webOS users don't recommend the platform, basic math says that this is a minority.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I recommend it. I also find the hardware very nice, it was a reason to get the device.
    it is beautiful, the keyboard is good, it is small, touchstone is such a nice touch, etc. etc.
    Actually, iphone OS is in it's 4th year now, with all of the updates over the years it is now a polished OS. Being that webOS is a little over 8 months old, still in it's infancy, I think being that the MAJORITY (69%) of users recommend it that this is good news, go Palm!!
    rfceo:

I'm not driving nails through my phone, I baby the thing like you wouldn't even believe (or maybe you would, it's a pre with a plastic prone-to-scratching screen so we -have- to baby it).

The shattered screen thread is the biggest one on palms official forums. It has nothing to do with handling, the screen shatters while the phone is sitting all by it's lonesome charging. I think it had something to do with the battery swelling behind the capacitive touchscreen during charging, pressing it against the bottom center button and the pressure causing the crack. Palm has acknowledged that it is a hardware defect and is replacing them free of charge.

My first pre shattered 4 days after I bought it.

My fourth pre current has manifested a small hairline crack in the outer casing plastic near the USB charging port now which as I understand it is not something palm is replacing (although this is another commonly known issue). It's no big deal as you cant really see it and it doesnt effect my screen or visibility, but I worry if my Pre shatters the main touchscreen -again- that this small crack will be viewed as personal abuse of the unit and cause a rejected replacement.

Fun fun.

Verizon's Pre plus's -may- not have this issue (no center button for shattering to emanate from). At any rate I NEVER touch that button, I do everything by gesture and hope for the best.
    I'm definitely happy w/ my phone, sure it has its issues (most are minor in my eyes) but everyone who is in the market for a new phone should check webOS out IMHO
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Everyone knows that 97% of people ignore surveys and only 8% have enough passion toward a product that they'd even waste time with them. Obviously those are made up numbers, but that's the point. Internet surveys measure nothing the level of fanaticism (either positive or negative) of the participant. Many people use Honda/iPhone/Windows/Colgate/etc, but how many would really waste a second trying to prove or disprove their market dominance? Most people just scroll past these surveys because they don't care.

But as for the thread topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    This stat doesn't particularly surprise me.

I love my pre and webos. I love the ability to multitask on a whim. I like being in control of my device (easy to homebrew when you don't have apple over your head chaining everything down). When I'm using it around people they often perk up and ask about it. My answer to all of them is exactly the same: It's a cool phone, but don't buy one.
    That's exactly how I feel and it drives me insane when people recommend products simply because "I like it, therefore so will everyone I come in contact with" or because "We need to help [Favorite Corporation] get more sales". And in Palm's case, I know more people disappointed with the Pre than happy with it.

WebOS is an impressive product, but flawed product that I have no problem putting up with because I see the potential and I understand its a 1st gen device. But I wouldn't recommend it to my non-geek friends because my loyalty is to them, not to some corporation that I have nothing to do with.[/QUOTE]
    I agree, the phones and OS are not for everyone. But on that same note, I feel that people should at least check out webOS
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpoirier1 View Post
    I agree, the phones and OS are not for everyone. But on that same note, I feel that people should at least check out webOS
    I know hardware and software can't be separated, but imagine if you can pick any physical phone and match it with whatever mobile OS you want. My guess is that WebOS would rank up on top with the PalmPre hardware being largely avoided.

(I know many people love the Pre design, but for me personally I didn't like the keyboard as much as I thought so I would prefer something more durable with a larger screen so I'd probably match up WebOS with the Droid, Nexus1 or iPhone)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast