1.    #1  
    LG not interested in proprietary smartphone OS, likes Android and Windows Phone 7

LG has told the press at MWC that it will not be developing its own smartphone platform "at least for the next two to three years." We think companies should focus on what they do well, and given our ambivalence toward the S-Class UI, it's probably a good thing that LG will narrow its operation down to churning out delectable slabs of electronics and leaving the software side to the geeks over at Google and Microsoft.

The head of the company's handset unit, Skott Ahn, has indicated that the future of LG smartphones will be shared between Android and Windows Phone 7 (sorry, Symbian lovers). It will have taken plenty of restraint to not respond to local nemesis Samsung -- who has just introduced its first Bada handset -- but LG appears to be of the opinion (which we share) that the smartphone OS sector is already overcrowded, and its expectation is that over the next couple of years the market will distill itself down to just three predominant operating systems.

From Engadged
    i disagree because i feel that the mobile os market is just like the auto industry in that it is always going to be overcrowded though we may see a few more popular ones the underdog will always be there
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i disagree because i feel that the mobile os market is just like the auto industry in that it is always going to be overcrowded though we may see a few more popular ones the underdog will always be there
    When switching from Lexus to Honda to BMW then the only thing you have to change is your keychain. Switching from iPhone to Pre to Android requires rebuying all new apps.

I'm not saying we really will go down to 3 mobile OS's. But as it is then it seems the ones that survive will be the ones with enough resources ($$$ + Talent + Support) to keep up with a very quickly evolving industry. And that's what bugs me so much about Palm. They had so much momentum but bad hardware and slow updates moved them from being pioneers to playing catch-up.
    Last edited by Urkel; 02/22/2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zx600 View Post
    but LG appears to be of the opinion (which we share) that the smartphone OS sector is already overcrowded, and its expectation is that over the next couple of years the market will distill itself down to just three predominant operating systems.
    The Palm guys talk a lot about just wanting to be one of the top 5 smartphone companies. So they see the same narrowing of the market, but think it's a little wider than "three".

Also saw an interesting article about Windows Phone 7 today ... how Microsoft is moving more towards the Apple model of control over both hardware and software (which is what Palm believes too). One of the few major players which is still "open" software is Google ... so it will be interesting to see how that plays out ... if the software-independent OS gets too scattered and out-of-control.