1.    #1  
    So since the iPhone will be getting multitasking, can't Palm do something to say like, "We had it first & we don't want you to have it!" since they didn't let Pre users use iTunes? I'm not complaining about iTunes but if we can't use it then why let them use multitasking. Just a though.
    Look the iphone is copying who now?

I love the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    So since the iPhone will be getting multitasking, can't Palm do something to say like, "We had it first & we don't want you to have it!" since they didn't let Pre users use iTunes? I'm not complaining about iTunes but if we can't use it then why let them use multitasking. Just a though.
    I've kind of wondered the same thing, I mean Palm can't say that for multi-tasking as a whole. But I watched a video of a jailbroken iphone that pretty much stole the whole card idea and I think Palm should copyright/patent that part of it.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    If there were the case we couldn't have multi-touch as that's something Apple originally did. I wouldn't bother with an issue like this. Just swallow your pride..

Whether or not they'll actually do it is something that has yet to even be confirmed. I for one highly doubt it seeing as the iPad was just introduced and is confirmed to not have any sort of multitasking. Apples original complaints about it were it drains the battery and it slows the device down too much.

Us Pre users may think we can shoot those theories down but.. Our batteries are absolutely horrendous in terms of performance and until I stop seeing the "Sorry too many cards" message pop up, I have to agree that multitasking can be difficult. Don't get me wrong, it works great on my Pre 90% of the time and my iPhone using friends are extremely envious of it.

So envious in fact, that I jailbroke a friends iPhone. The next day he showed me how installed a ton of themes to make his phone look like a Pre (though it was failing miserably..) and he even got this cheesy multitasking.. It really didn't work so well.

If you are the competitive type and are worried about Apple implementing multi-tasking, I'd say you can just relax. It's unlikely Apple will include this any time soon.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!

Aside from Jailbreaking I hadn't heard the iphone was getting the ability to multitask. At the risk of sounding like an a**, can I ask where you heard that?
    +1. I seen the same video about the iphone multitask jailbroken app.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I've kind of wondered the same thing, I mean Palm can't say that for multi-tasking as a whole. But I watched a video of a jailbroken iphone that pretty much stole the whole card idea and I think Palm should copyright/patent that part of it.
    As I mentioned, I jailbroke a friends iPhone and he got this App.. it's awful.. They did steal the card view idea, but it's so far from intuitive, natural, or even useful that he stopped using it after a couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    As I mentioned, I jailbroke a friends iPhone and he got this App.. it's awful.. They did steal the card view idea, but it's so far from intuitive, natural, or even useful that he stopped using it after a couple of days.
    Agreed, but it just just shows what's possible and is a good starting point, I do think that eventually Apple will take the idea and work it into their OS. But I could care less what they do.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Yeah, it definitely shows it can be done. If they wanted to keep it original, they could use CoverFlow as a way of managing it too. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Then again, a new iPhone is due in a few months as well as iPhone OS 4.0 so they're bound to add some nifty new feature.

Only time will tell!
    Pinch and zoom screens have been out for years before Apple put it on their iphone.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Pinch and zoom screens have been out for years before Apple put it on their iphone.
    I've seen it in concept but never in an actual device. I'm not 100% sure of course, I was only making an assumption. I remember when Apple first showed it off, Jobs was commenting that "it's patented". Adding emphasis on that fact. Then again, I'm sure Apple has enough muscle to win a patent for anything they want!

Looks like assumption made an *** out of me.
    I did a search on the internet and found this:

As the inventor, pioneer and patent holder of video camera interfaces
    for multi-touch, multi-user and surface computing solutions since the late
    1980s, GestureTek has played a leading role in deploying these types of
    experiences around the world.
    GestureTek now offers a state-of-the-art Illuminate Table that is a
    turnkey, user-friendly, multi-touch surface computing table standing 32"
    high with a 50" gesture-controlled screen as well as a powerful computer, a
    projector, an IR camera and speakers inside. It is suitable for
    installations in corporate board rooms, showrooms, military facilities,
    cafes, nightclub, restaurants, hotels, retail locations, location-based
    entertainment facilities, tradeshows, and other public venues where
    kiosk-style multimedia is desired.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I did a search on the internet and found this:

As the inventor, pioneer and patent holder of video camera interfaces
    for multi-touch, multi-user and surface computing solutions since the late
    1980s, GestureTek has played a leading role in deploying these types of
    experiences around the world.
    GestureTek now offers a state-of-the-art Illuminate Table that is a
    turnkey, user-friendly, multi-touch surface computing table standing 32"
    high with a 50" gesture-controlled screen as well as a powerful computer, a
    projector, an IR camera and speakers inside. It is suitable for
    installations in corporate board rooms, showrooms, military facilities,
    cafes, nightclub, restaurants, hotels, retail locations, location-based
    entertainment facilities, tradeshows, and other public venues where
    kiosk-style multimedia is desired.
    Thanks! I'd have searched but it's A)Not that important to me and B)I'm working on something and I've already got a dozen or so tabs open..

Hmm.. Sounds a lot like Microsoft Surface! Cool!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Actually that commercial is about being able to use the phone and use another app at the same time. That's cool and all but it's really a feature of the GSM standard that ATT use not the iPhone specifically. The iPhone does not allow you to use two 3rd party apps at the same time - at least not right now.
    The iPhone is on wifi in that commercial too. If you put a Pre on wifi it can do all that and more.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    The iPhone is on wifi in that commercial too. If you put a Pre on wifi it can do all that and more.
    this is a point I always bring up, I'm on my phone and always using my wifi to do everything. In regards of apple...look @ this way, we get flash...they don't
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    However, the average consumer does not understand this. They understand that with the iPhone you can talk and surf at the same time and with the Pre (Verizon and Sprint) you cannot. Until Verizon and Sprint put out a commercial that shows you can.

Remember that advertising, like school, is brought down to the lowest level of understanding.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm going to **** off all the people trying to "brag" about what their phone does, but... Multitasking three apps is not better than single tasking two-hundred.

Pre Multitasking is being all dressed up and nowhere to go. It looks great but when most apps are either terrible apps, memory hogs or just aren't needed to be always on then what exactly are you bragging about?

Don't get me wrong. I think the lack of multitask on iPhone is ridiculous. But the reason I carry a disabled iPhone still is because I can run mytether and actually get tasks accomplished that I can't get done on the Pre.
  19.    #19  
    I didn't want this to sound like I knew for a fact they were getting multitasking. I had heard that's what was going to happen. The thought just popped in my mind and I figured I'd ask. Haha. Sorry. I didn't mean to "state facts" when they weren't facts. And I just would like Palm to have something the iPhone doesn't that I can go to an iPhone user who think they're the s h i t and be like, well can your iPhone do this? And then they'll look stupid. Haha. Idk just a thought.