Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't touched another phone ever since I got my Pre last June. I really like my Pre. Picked up my buddy's Blackberry Bold today and just opened up the Calendar app... I was slack jawed at how fast it was. As soon as I pressed the calendar button, the app was open. INSTANT. When I showed him how long it took to open my calendar app, he looked at me funny and said "why do you like your phone so much?"

Even though getting into the Pre calendar app is faster once you open it and leave it open, I am still struck by how much longer it takes to navigate between apps in the Pre. I love cards--they are intuitive and easy to use. But man, I had not realized how used I had gotten to waiting a really long time for my phone to do stuff. The responsiveness of the Bold just blew me away--there was no lag on anything.

I know Blackberry versus Pre is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm not ready to abandon my Pre or anything, but I'd sure love to hear someone tell me why its ok (or at least why I shouldn't complain too much) for an app to take 6 seconds to open.
    Quote Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post
    I'm not ready to abandon my Pre or anything, but I'd sure love to hear someone tell me why its ok (or at least why I shouldn't complain too much) for an app to take 6 seconds to open.
    because you never have to close the app so the opening time doesnt really matter
    so many threads on the Pre's speed/quickness/fluidness. Please do a search. Search is your friend.
    It was the same way with my PalmOS Treo. Hopefully every app on WebOS will open just as fast as the PDK apps in the near future.
    Uh how about the fact that you never quite know when an app is closed in a blackberry. Thats why its so fast, the blackberry OS doesn't really close apps....its cool with the calendar but SUXXXXXX with the media player. Nothing like fumbling through menus just to get the music to stop playing. I am a loooong time blackberry user....and still have a curve as my work phone....its not even in the same species as the Pre! Trust me!
    I keep reading about people having to wait over 5 seconds for an app to open and I don't get it. The longest I have had to wait is a maximum of 2 seconds (with the exception of 3D games). Most times it's almost instant. My Pre has never been Doctored and has been heavily patched and modded for it's entire life. I restart my Pre about once every 2 weeks just to refresh it. Why do some people's Pre take so long to load apps?
    blackberrys kinda mutlitask by running apps in the background so the app was probably open running behind the scenes thats why it seemed so fast on the blackberry
    Comparing a Pre with a Blackberry is like comparing a computer running windows with one running DOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Comparing a Pre with a Blackberry is like comparing a computer running windows with one running DOS.
    When I had my Blackberry and walked in and tried a Pre, my jaw dropped! Bought it right on the spot and sold my 6 month old BB on ebay.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Ahhhh DOS....

I well remember those days. How many of you remember Quarterdeck Memmaster & loading TSR's into the memory above 640K? That was hot stuff back then lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I keep reading about people having to wait over 5 seconds for an app to open and I don't get it. The longest I have had to wait is a maximum of 2 seconds (with the exception of 3D games). Most times it's almost instant. My Pre has never been Doctored and has been heavily patched and modded for it's entire life. I restart my Pre about once every 2 weeks just to refresh it. Why do some people's Pre take so long to load apps?
    Agreed. Only a few apps beyond the PDK apps takes anything more than two seconds or so to open. Certainly, not six seconds for the Calendar app.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Ahhhh DOS....

I well remember those days. How many of you remember Quarterdeck Memmaster & loading TSR's into the memory above 640K? That was hot stuff back then lol...
    I remember QEMM!! Couldn't live without it.
    Yes...I remember having different boot floppies for certain games that either required more or higher or more lower memory! And having to hope that the damn game supports your video and sound card properly....those were the days!

Wow, slightly OT!
    I cant stand blackberry's, i think that whole os is crap. there isnt one thing about the thumb ball thing i like. touch screen is the only way to go.
    I remember my first digital camera, it was a Sony, used a floppy disc to record pictures on. The quality was so bad, I returned it for a Sony that used a memory stick, much better. It came with a 4 meg stick, I broke down and bought a 32 meg stick (wanted the 64 meg stick but that was $120). Now they make 128 GB SDHC card, amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Lucky you. I reboot multiple times per day.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My cal app on the pre takes 3-4 seconds to load, which is slow to me. So much to love about the Pre and WebOS, but relative (in comparsion to other platforms) responsiveness when opening and navigating apps like the phone and calendar is NOT a strength, yet. Sorry guys but Lag on the Pre exists. Hopefully, with future updates this will change.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    All my apps open within a second, maybe a little longer, no biggie. Just opened my calender, around 2 seconds. Only time I reboot my phone is when I update/add a patch. Not much lag on mine. Running Preware with 30+ patches, sorry that your Pre is so slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post
    I haven't touched another phone ever since I got my Pre last June. I really like my Pre. Picked up my buddy's Blackberry Bold today and just opened up the Calendar app... I was slack jawed at how fast it was. As soon as I pressed the calendar button, the app was open. INSTANT. When I showed him how long it took to open my calendar app, he looked at me funny and said "why do you like your phone so much?"

Even though getting into the Pre calendar app is faster once you open it and leave it open, I am still struck by how much longer it takes to navigate between apps in the Pre. I love cards--they are intuitive and easy to use. But man, I had not realized how used I had gotten to waiting a really long time for my phone to do stuff. The responsiveness of the Bold just blew me away--there was no lag on anything.

I know Blackberry versus Pre is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm not ready to abandon my Pre or anything, but I'd sure love to hear someone tell me why its ok (or at least why I shouldn't complain too much) for an app to take 6 seconds to open.
    I hope Palm gets it's act together before Windows Phone 7 is released.
    I guess your friend doent have any calendar entries , as as you add more and more entries to the bberry it slows down more and more.. So don't be shocked
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast