Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guys, as far as I can see the WebOS does not do anything in the background so save battery; however if there was a little AI behind the WebOS it should be able to forecast when we want to do things. Here we know time of day is important and event followed by another event.

OK I get the saving battery is good, but every night I tug my Pre in to sleep next to my bed and all it is doing overnight is to suck juice from the touchstone and show the time. I have not notice that it does any real maintenance in the background. Here I am thinking creating cash-table-files so loading apps does not mean colleting date before displaying the app.

Every morning I need to see the daily agenda, well hello could the WebOS not have guess that I do it every day and have done so since I got the Pre. Call with new numbers that is not in the system the Pre could second guess that I most likely would like to put them into the address book and the same goes for emails and text message. Emails and SMS that includes dates could mean that we need the Calendar.

I understand we are not on WebOS 2.x yet but one thing is clear when the WebOS is connected to external power source then work as fast as you can so when it is on battery relax and save the juice. I would expect that we will see some of that in WebOS 2 and higher.

DavidJ, yes I do remember Quarterdeck Memmaster & loading TSR's into the memory above 640K and sometimes working with the Pre and WebOS is like that. We loved it way back then and I sure love my Pre, I know that one day all this will be fixed so we can push the envelope regarding something new and at that time seems way more important if you get my drift.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    because with palm. you are never associated with RIM jobs keep your tongue off that bum and keep your palm in your hand, it'll speed up and if it doesnt at least your not a blackberry user, no offense but personalloy i see blackberry as a 3 g's phone. by that i mean the only people who i see with blackberry or in love with their blackberry are G(ays), G(irls), and G(hetto) associated people.... no offense intended just an observation on how it is locally
    I have a BB Tour as my work phone and it is like night and day different from the Pre ina bad way. People complain about the boot time of the Pre, the Tour boot up time is much worse. When I do a hard reboot it takes at least 5 minutes to fully boot up. And when you add apps to the BB it gets very sluggish. the BB is much more sluggish and buggy then the Pre. Like others have said the BB doesn't necessarily shut opens down when you close them out. I've went to bed with a full charge twice now and woke up with a dead Tour. Clearly something was running in in the background and drained the battery. I've had 2 other BBs for work prior to getting the Tour a month ago and the Tour by far is the most buggy of the 3. Only advantage I give it over the Pre is the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by add309 View Post
    because with palm. you are never associated with RIM jobs keep your tongue off that bum and keep your palm in your hand, it'll speed up and if it doesnt at least your not a blackberry user, no offense but personalloy i see blackberry as a 3 g's phone. by that i mean the only people who i see with blackberry or in love with their blackberry are G(ays), G(irls), and G(hetto) associated people.... no offense intended just an observation on how it is locally
    This post is hilarious. It couldn't possibly be more offensive!

That said, I don't mind waiting for the calendar to open when I'm adding things on my own time. Try to work out a meeting schedule with someone on the go. Then 6 seconds FEELS like an eternity.

Girl: Hey Bob, let's meet next thursday at 3. Will that work for you?
    MisterPC: hang on. <gets Pre out of pocket>
    Girl: ...
    MisterPC: <slides Pre open to unlock>
    Girl:...
    MisterPC: <taps on Cal app from QL bar>
    MisterPC: <taps on date bar, begins calculating what the date will be next thursday>
    MisterPC: Jussst. A. Sec...
    Girl: On second thought, nevermind. Gotta go, no offense.
    MisterPC: ....Hey, none taken!

See what I mean? Gosh what an awkward ending after you spent all that time trying to load your calendar!
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/19/2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    Guys, as far as I can see the WebOS does not do anything in the background so save battery; however if there was a little AI behind the WebOS it should be able to forecast when we want to do things. Here we know time of day is important and event followed by another event.

OK I get the saving battery is good, but every night I tug my Pre in to sleep next to my bed and all it is doing overnight is to suck juice from the touchstone and show the time. I have not notice that it does any real maintenance in the background. Here I am thinking creating cash-table-files so loading apps does not mean colleting date before displaying the app.

Every morning I need to see the daily agenda, well hello could the WebOS not have guess that I do it every day and have done so since I got the Pre. Call with new numbers that is not in the system the Pre could second guess that I most likely would like to put them into the address book and the same goes for emails and text message. Emails and SMS that includes dates could mean that we need the Calendar.

I understand we are not on WebOS 2.x yet but one thing is clear when the WebOS is connected to external power source then work as fast as you can so when it is on battery relax and save the juice. I would expect that we will see some of that in WebOS 2 and higher.

DavidJ, yes I do remember Quarterdeck Memmaster & loading TSR's into the memory above 640K and sometimes working with the Pre and WebOS is like that. We loved it way back then and I sure love my Pre, I know that one day all this will be fixed so we can push the envelope regarding something new and at that time seems way more important if you get my drift.

i like how u think. incorperating ai would be the next major step in a phone. camera.. internet/3G... touch.. accelerometer. i dont know much about much but id like to see ai grouped with thoes other features
    Fitz39, Thanks for your input. Yes we have to look at next generation of smartphones and that generation has to address the “smart” part of having a Pre. Pre and WebOS are on the right track. I love that I can just start typing and it will try to see if I have some local stuff before hitting the Cloud.

Since we can run low-level of MySQL on the Pre someone should make a visual-app-generator where I the user could outline my fields and if they should be auto-populated from other places email, SMS or RSS. The build the application on the fly. QBE could be stored and assigned to a button and one would have the option of creating a database application in seconds and now we then have the little-black-book ready so when the girl (RizP) is asking in a SMS if we can meet for a drink of milk next Thursday at 3 we can respond before the 3G (add309) girl have imposed on the date in progress.

Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
    This is why I browse the web using a text-based browser! It's so fast. All of you guys with your images and proper layout, etc.
    Blk berry is very standard it does alotta things very well but it has absolutely no fun factor RIM needs to step their game up because they are starting to fall way behind to better phones like the pre and the iphone which appeal to a bigger audience
    For anybody who's btch'n about the extra 3-4 seconds its takes to open the calander or any other app, I highly recommend you check out this thread for performance enhancing your Pre:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html
    I have had several Blackberry's the best thing about it is BBM other than that it's a snoozeberry. Blackberrys are great messaging devices but if BIS or BES goes down then your screwed, it went down 2 months ago when I was using my Tour and I wasn't very pleased since it wasn't carrier related and everybody else who had a different Sprint phone was fine while all Blackberry users was affected. As far as performance goes if you don't consistently reboot your Berry it WILL get slow so it's not a Palm or Android thing it happens to any phone/OS that multi-tasks, btw 2-4 seconds difference in time to open an app won't kill you the WebOS isn't as mature as the other players yet.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123