Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21  
    My question is what are some of you doing if 5 or 6 seconds is too long to wait for something? It could be faster. I agree with you on that but it's a calendar app, not a stopwatch.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    My cal app on the pre takes 3-4 seconds to load, which is slow to me. So much to love about the Pre and WebOS, but relative (in comparsion to other platforms) responsiveness when opening and navigating apps like the phone and calendar is NOT a strength, yet. Sorry guys but Lag on the Pre exists. Hopefully, with future updates this will change.
    1) I own, and use daily, a BB Tour and a Pre. I appreciate my BB. I LOVE my Pre.

    2) My Pre takes 4 secs to launch Calandar ( I have multiple synced cals, don't know it has any lag effect). If I ever miss an "event" because my app took 4 secs launch, I'll take that as a hint that I'm scheduling too tightly and need a vacation.
  3. tannyo's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post
    I haven't touched another phone ever since I got my Pre last June. I really like my Pre. Picked up my buddy's Blackberry Bold today and just opened up the Calendar app... I was slack jawed at how fast it was. As soon as I pressed the calendar button, the app was open. INSTANT. When I showed him how long it took to open my calendar app, he looked at me funny and said "why do you like your phone so much?"

    Even though getting into the Pre calendar app is faster once you open it and leave it open, I am still struck by how much longer it takes to navigate between apps in the Pre. I love cards--they are intuitive and easy to use. But man, I had not realized how used I had gotten to waiting a really long time for my phone to do stuff. The responsiveness of the Bold just blew me away--there was no lag on anything.

    I know Blackberry versus Pre is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm not ready to abandon my Pre or anything, but I'd sure love to hear someone tell me why its ok (or at least why I shouldn't complain too much) for an app to take 6 seconds to open.
    After loading up the web browser, quick contacts, calendar, mail, tasks and twee it takes no time at all to switch between applications. Wow, my calendar comes up instantly! That's how the Blackberry Bold works, that's why it seems so fast.
  4. #24  
    Some people can't grasp the concept of mutitasking.
  5. ddthld's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #25  
    Wow...forgot about the days of digital cameras with floppies. How about the Commodores that loaded stuff from a cassette?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ddthld View Post
    Wow...forgot about the days of digital cameras with floppies. How about the Commodores that loaded stuff from a cassette?
    Commodore PET caught running Windows Phone 7 Series? -- Engadget
  7. #27  
    My family has three Pre's (including mine). I have had a Palm since the very first Pilot. I'm a multi-decade Palm fan.

    But I'm not ****** blind. The Pre is glacial. If it were any slower it would have 0% market share.

    And it DOES take very long to open apps:

    6+ seconds for e-mail
    7+ seconds for calendar
    5+ (more like 6) seconds to open the stinking silly clock app.


    I just checked my daughter and son's Pre's which are stock - no patches, no homebrews or no add-ins at all -- and their times are within 1 second of these.

    If you think your Pre calendar opens in 2 seconds (which is still too long), you have ****** (or fangirl) time distortion.

    At least the phone app opens in 1 - 2 seconds.

    I still have my old Treo 700p. Calendar opens in about 0.5 seconds.

    If we don't get the speed fix in 1.4 OS upgrade, the Pre will be a interesting OS experiment and will get NO additional market penetration until they fix the speed and other GUI issues that make it seem clunky next to the market leader (iYouknowwhat).

    Here's hoping for some real world usability fixes in 1.4 I can wait on flash; I just want my stinking calendar sometime today and universal search to give instant results every time, not get stuck half of the time and take 5 seconds.
  8. #28  
    when four sec is too slow for an "old timer" that's when I start to think people are too spoiled for their own good.. 4 secs FOUR F***ING SECS... Are you really that big of an *****?
  9. drmarolf's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #29  
    I really love my Pre, but please be serious. It is slow compared to a lot of the other smart phones out there. My nephew has an iPhone 3GS. I showed him multitasking on my Pre. He whipped his iPhone out and switched between applications at lightning speed, which almost makes the multitasking look like nothing. I still like the phone and I'm sticking with it. I can also be honest. Don't get so defensive when someone points out an area that could be improved. Man, the phone is not perfect and they are still improving it, which I like. Why do you feel like you have to defend the phone so much? It's just an electronic device. Get a life, please!
  10. #30  
    I run a business. Palm used to -- we'll see if they still have one. Goodness knows I've bought enough Palms over the years to keep them afloat.

    In business, especially in tech, speed kills. Fast wins. Period. Until one learns that lesson, one will always be an also ran.

    It's really best not to make personal attacks. I deleted everything else I was going to write, discretion being the better part of valor.

    The scenario -- Can you take a call tomorrow at 9:00? Let me open my calendar --- waiting, waiting, waiting... My apologies, it must look like I'm loading off a floppy drive...

    The Pre is wretchedly slow. Get over it. Six seconds is a tech-world eternity. Accepting horrid performs breeds mediocrity. And the Pre will be mediocre until it gets faster.
  11. #31  
    Bottom line: it is not OK - I love webOS but the performance issues are going to completely kill this platform if they are not addressed in the very near future. If there's not a massive performance improvement in the next few months (either via a software update or via new hardware) I'll be shopping for a new phone.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotToTreo View Post
    The Pre is wretchedly slow. Get over it. Six seconds is a tech-world eternity. Accepting horrid performs breeds mediocrity. And the Pre will be mediocre until it gets faster.
    Yes, I agree its slow. I too use my Pre as a business/personal tool. We have WebOS, Blackberry, PalmOS and Apple mobile devices in our family. The Pre's calander is slower than all and its not even close. Be careful, however when you suggest that the Pre is anything but perfect around these parts. I have found the following disclaimer to be helpful:

    DISCLAIMER

    IF READING CRITICAL POSTS ABOUT PALM AND/OR WEBOS WHICH ARE, BY ANY MEASURE, LESS THAN LAUDATORY THUS CONSTITUTING AN OFFENSE TO THE READER AKIN TO AN INSULT TO HIS WIFE OR MOTHER, PLEASE PUT EEKINSMAN ON IGNORE AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OR LEGAL THEORY SHALL EEKINSMAN, HIS FAMILY, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSEES, OR ASSIGNS, EITHER JOINTLY OR SEVERALY, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR OTHER LOSS OF ANY KIND, RELATING TO YOUR FRAGILE, UNUSUAL, UNHEALTHY AND ODD PREDILECTION TO PROTECT PALM AND/OR WEBOS FROM NEGATIVE POSTS.

    TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY PRECENTRAL, THE WORDS AND CONTENT OF THIS POST, INCLUDING THOSE IN THIS DISCLAIMER, ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE A RANT AGAINST PALM AND/OR WEBOS AND DO NOT REFLECT THE POSTER’S HATRED FOR PALM.


    THE POSTER HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND DISAVOWS AND DOES NOT ENDORSE OR SPONSOR OR AGREE WITH SENSELESS THREADS AND POSTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, “‘I’M LEAVING FOR THE DROID’ ‘PALM SUCKS’ APPLE RULES’ THE PRE IS THE WORST PHONE EVER’ AND ALL OTHER OF SIMILAR ILK WHICH BY THEIR NATURE TREAT THE PALM PRE AS ANYTHING BUT PRECIOUS.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    when four sec is too slow for an "old timer" that's when I start to think people are too spoiled for their own good.. 4 secs FOUR F***ING SECS... Are you really that big of an *****?
    1. Wanting Palm to increase responsivenes and decrease lag makes one spoiled? I disagree. Palm knows they have a problem here, they have made some incremental improvements, with more work to be done.

    2. Not appreciating a 4 sec delay in opening an app makes one an *****? Really? I think you assumed that a previous f**b**y reference in this thread was meant for you so you let loose with the personal attacks in kind. Looks like the shoe fits after all.

    DISCLAIMER

    IF READING CRITICAL POSTS ABOUT PALM AND/OR WEBOS WHICH ARE, BY ANY MEASURE, LESS THAN LAUDATORY THUS CONSTITUTING AN OFFENSE TO THE READER AKIN TO AN INSULT TO HIS WIFE OR MOTHER, PLEASE PUT EEKINSMAN ON IGNORE AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OR LEGAL THEORY SHALL EEKINSMAN, HIS FAMILY, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSEES, OR ASSIGNS, EITHER JOINTLY OR SEVERALY, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR OTHER LOSS OF ANY KIND, RELATING TO YOUR FRAGILE, UNUSUAL, UNHEALTHY AND ODD PREDILECTION TO PROTECT PALM AND/OR WEBOS FROM NEGATIVE POSTS.

    TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY PRECENTRAL, THE WORDS AND CONTENT OF THIS POST, INCLUDING THOSE IN THIS DISCLAIMER, ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE A RANT AGAINST PALM AND/OR WEBOS AND DO NOT REFLECT THE POSTER’S HATRED FOR PALM.


    THE POSTER HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND DISAVOWS AND DOES NOT ENDORSE OR SPONSOR OR AGREE WITH SENSELESS THREADS AND POSTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, “‘I’M LEAVING FOR THE DROID’ ‘PALM SUCKS’ APPLE RULES’ THE PRE IS THE WORST PHONE EVER’ AND ALL OTHER OF SIMILAR ILK WHICH BY THEIR NATURE TREAT THE PALM PRE AS ANYTHING BUT PRECIOUS.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  14.    #34  
    OP here. I appreciate all of the responses.

    I am surprised by people who act like a 4-6 second wait is something we should be comfortable with and asking for better is some kind of character flaw. Consider me much more in the camp of those who think this is something Palm really needs to work on.

    If we like webOS because of things it can do that other phones can't, or because it does some things more elegantly than others, can't we also find fault with it for things it doesn't do so well?
  15. #35  
    I came from a Blackberry, in fact I'm a fairly long time blackberry user who also happens to own and iphone 3gs. WebOS is NOT as fast as the Blackberry but it's pretty much the same as the iphone. With that said, calling it glacial is like calling Usain Bolt slow because he can't outrun a jet. Get real people. My Blackberry calendar loads lightning fast too, when I already had it open in the past few hours. I got 2.3 seconds (According to my stop watch)to load the calendar on my Pre just now, I'm running at 600Mhz so it's not exactly fair but I can't imagine it creeping down to seven seconds at 500Mhz. I rebooted my Pre and my 9630 then loaded the calendar and ya know what... It's a photo finish folks.


    EDIT: I agree it could be faster, but it's certainly not slow. If the distance between 3 and 6 seconds is too much too wait then I seriously suggest getting off of meth.
  16. #36  
    So you are not acknowledging that, as reported in this thread, that many people do not have the 4 to 6 second lag when opening apps? Cool, whatever, it's your thread.
  17. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #37  
    8 posts and he gets this kind of response. Obviously a newbie

    Many of my apps take 3-5 seconds to open. Glacial, come on. 3-5 seconds and often in 2. I'm not saying faster isn't out there but come on.

    There are many phones out there that can open "applications" faster and some BB's can. However you are not comparing apples to apples as a BB is not a multi-tasking phone with the same open-ness as a Pre.

    If the Pre is too slow for you then leave the card open, you can have many open.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    So you are not acknowledging that, as reported in this thread, that many people do not have the 4 to 6 second lag when opening apps? Cool, whatever, it's your thread.
    What is there to acknowledge? Because someone else claims to have different performance I should ignore what is happening on my phone? My phone is unpatched, basically stock. It takes 5-7 seconds to open the calendar (I use Exchange EAS). It takes between 3-5 seconds to open the simple clock app.

    If someone else is able to open all of these apps in 2 seconds or less, good for them. Doesn't change that my phone only opens apps after a several second delay. This is my second Pre and its performance is entirely consistent with the first one I had. It also appears that multiple posters on this thread have seen similar slow performance.

    I'd summarize the unhelpful responses in this thread as follows:

    1) 4-6 seconds is just fine. What's your hurry? Shut up.
    2) My Pre is faster than yours, so shut up.
    3) Blackberrys are faster because they suck. Pre is slow because its better.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post
    I'd summarize the unhelpful responses in this thread as follows:

    1) 4-6 seconds is just fine. What's your hurry? Shut up.
    2) My Pre is faster than yours, so shut up.
    3) Blackberrys are faster because they suck. Pre is slow because its better.
    What would be a helpful response then? Blackberry is better than the Pre? The Pre sucks because it does alot more than any blackberry ever made and is slightly slower? I'm not following.


    Increased speed will come with optimization, the video of 1.4 that was posted on the main page shows apps loading faster than they currently do on a stock Pre. Consider this as well, the blackberry OS is MUCH more mature than WebOS. That my friend, makes a HUGE difference.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    What would be a helpful response then?
    Summary of responses I have found helpful:

    1) Blackberrys run apps in background, which helps speed but can cause problems as it is difficult to know what is running
    2) My Pre is too slow too, this is something Palm needs to work on.
    3) Speed delay is unfortunate tradeoff for enhanced GUI of Pre, but I am happy to live with it because of other webOS goodness.

    I started the thread because I didn't realize how much I had lowered my expectations with the lag on the Pre. After seeing a speedy phone, I realized I missed the kind of instant (or near instant) performance I got from even my old 755p.

    As I said before, I appreciate all of the responses. I'm not clear if 1.4 will start to use the GPU to offload basic GUI tasks, but I'm eager to see the 1.4 update too--I hope it makes a sizable change in performance.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions