Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been very curious about the Android OS and the look and feel of it. Yesterday I installed it on my old phone (htc touch) and after playing with it for a while I honestly don't get why people are making such a bid deal about it.

I know I'm probably asking in the wrong forum, but apart from marketing (which palm needs to get their crap together on) can someone educate me on the features that palm doesn't have or do better?

I'm asking cause I have a pre and my gf wants a new phone - should i tell her to get a pixi (she is against the pre cause it slides) or should she go ahead with a android os tipe of phone?
    what she cares about
    - full keyboard
    - easy to use as she is not a heavy user

that's about it

summary:
    what's the big deal with Android?
    Would you recommend a pixi over a phone like the LG venus?

thanks

PS I figure we wll can take a break from the 1.4 threads
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/15/2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote of the day!!!! The pixi would serve her well, easy interface and non slider.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    THe only good thing i have to say about android is the google maps, to an extend depending on the individual the different skins on top of it (coming from htc touch u defiently know what i am talking about ) But anythign else the pre beats android black and blue.

Just my 2 cents. if only we could have 1.4 today i could b more confident of what i just said
    Android handles multitasking very badly, but for your girlfriend it would probably be equally as good as WebOS. It's a very robust operating system, even if it's not my preferred one. Remember that, for her needs, Android has a lot more apps in their catalog at the moment. If you live in a 3G area then I think the Pixi would be a great purchase.

At the end of the day, it's up to her - let her try out both phones and see which she likes

Edit: Also, you should know that the LG Venus has absolutely nothing on the Palm Pixi - particularly once 1.4 hits.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Android has 1 thing that i can think of that really beats the Pre/Pixi and that is an OS that isnt power hungry and can run for 40 - 60hrs with moderate usage (based on my roommates experience with the moto droid im not sure about the eris or other phones but i would think its probably similar).

i have a Pre and from what ive read, the pixi has a worse battery than it. but then again i dont know anyone who has one. I can just barely get through the day with the pre and im a light user.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Android handles multitasking very badly....
    how can you say that? have you ever used android for a prolonged period?
    Androids multitasking, especially with the newer units that sport more ram, works superbly, without the user knowing it. apps just run as long in the bg as there is memory available. holding a button shows the most recent apps, persistent apps like IMs just place themselfs in the notification bar, etc.
    Nice system overall, just not as refined UI wise as webOS, but nice and powerful.

I traded my Milestone (GSM Droid) for a pre, but my gf loves her G1, especially with the newest custom 1.6 firmware (cyanogene mod)

PS: I used both the G1 and the Milestone as my main phones and I develop Android apps, so I know quite a bit about androids multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    how can you say that? have you ever used android for a prolonged period?
    Androids multitasking, especially with the newer units that sport more ram, works superbly, without the user knowing it. apps just run as long in the bg as there is memory available. holding a button shows the most recent apps, persistent apps like IMs just place themselfs in the notification bar, etc.
    Nice system overall, just not as refined UI wise as webOS, but nice and powerful.

I traded my Milestone (GSM Droid) for a pre, but my gf loves her G1, especially with the newest custom 1.6 firmware (cyanogene mod)

PS: I used both the G1 and the Milestone as my main phones and I develop Android apps, so I know quite a bit about androids multitasking.
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - Android is capable of multitasking just the same as WebOS and the memory management is great. I only meant to comment on the method of multitasking via the UI - I find the whole "hold a button, select an open app from a list" system a bit outdated. I also disagree with the logic that only recently used apps are listed. But you're right, Android multitasks excellently, I suppose it's the user interface I take issue with.
    Quote Originally Posted by zx600 View Post

I'm asking cause I have a pre and my gf wants a new phone - should i tell her to get a pixi (she is against the pre cause it slides) or should she go ahead with a android os tipe of phone?
    what she cares about
    - full keyboard
    - easy to use as she is not a heavy user

that's about it

summary:
    what's the big deal with Android?
    Would you recommend a pixi over a phone like the LG venus?

thanks

android with full keyboard are all sliders so it wont be a help if she doesnt want a slider
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    yep. but honestly, my girlfriend doesnt care about multitasking, she only wants her most used apps to launch instantly and stay where she left.

the term multitasking means nothing to her, and she hates gestures but loves buttons
    im guessing youre on Verizon and want to stay within their line of phones?
    I got a pre and pixi, gf has a lg lotus, she loves it. ........... But she never puts down my pixi lol (that didn't come out right! Lol) told her about the sprint refund screen shot about the pink pixi and she got so excited, then told her about the new lotus and she says ''oh, ... That's cool. Whens that pink pixi coming out?'' lol
    to me android feels like wimo without the constant restarts. Maybe it's just me
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    well I got my mom the hero and the only thing that I could say I like better than the pre is the widgets and obviously the apps but that will change soon.

But back to android it does widgets very well and they're great to be able to check a score or email or even call a friend without going to the app itself but after that WebOs is a much more stable OS than android imo.

my mom is constantly bringing me the phone saying that she got an error that something crashed, and that her phone get sluggish after a while requiring a reboot that is WAY longer than the pre lol.\
    I do have to admit that her battery life is much better, she takes a bunch of calls and checks emails regularly and her battery will last almost a whole day where i have to either charge or swap batteries(side note invest in a spare battery and the palm spare charger best purchase I made)

It really depends on what she will use it primarily for does she txt and talk and surf the web a lot then the pixi is for her if she likes apps and widgets and stuff then android is for her
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    to me android feels like wimo without the constant restarts. Maybe it's just me
    Android has always felt like WinMo to me, Ironically with Windows Phone 7 Series Android is gonna seem more WinMo than WinMo... Weird.
    lol good point!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    android has a pretty conservative, PC like GUI, it feels a lot like PC Linuxes. Very powerful, usable guy, but lacks the finishing touches.
    the HTC variants with Sense are much nicer, because they also touched up the whole look and feel.

Android is really ok, but nothing more. The Google integration is a killer feature, it is really really complete and powerful, if you use google services like calendar and gmail a lot. But it all feels more bolted together, just like...PC linux
    You want to know one big thing that Android does better? It isn't centered around HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript.

As a software developer, I don't want to work with web programming languages. Are they useful? Yes, but it is SOOOO much easier to get stuff done in C++/Java.

Actually, that is the main reason I didn't buy a Pre. The Android SDK is freaking awesome!!!

Further more, Android runs off the Dalvik virtual machine, so java applications can be compiled (opposed to being interpreted).
    Last edited by Merton; 02/16/2010 at 11:08 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    android with full keyboard are all sliders so it wont be a help if she doesnt want a slider
    You know what, you are right! even the Venus is a slider, humm

Thanks bud not sure why i didnt think about that while having hte "argument" witht he gf

Thanks everyone for your feedback
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    im guessing youre on Verizon and want to stay within their line of phones?
    I'm actually in Canada and she is with "Rogers"
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    You want to know one big thing that Android does better? It isn't centered around HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript.

As a software developer, I don't want to work with web programming languages. Are they useful? Yes, but it is SOOOO much easier to get stuff done in C++/Java.

Actually, that is the main reason I didn't buy a Pre. The Android SDK is freaking awesome!!!

Further more, Android runs off the Dalvik virtual machine, so java applications can be compiled (opposed to being interpreted).
    Thanks for the feedback!

However, my gf wont care to much as she is not a developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post

Palm is addressing this issue with the PDK. Beta release is set for sometime in march. I think at a gaming conference.

to the OP. I cant say for sure, but i wouldnt base your opinion of Android by using on an HTC Touch. it obviously wasnt meant to run android. Id go into a store of your carrier and play with them. I havent used android as a daily device, but from the devices ive played with, i much prefer Sense UI on top of android. Much more fluid interaction. from my limited experience with android, finding certain options and settings can be tough for a not-so-tech savvy person. i agree with those who compare android to WinMo, both have many capabilities, but its just not as obvious as it could be to access or use them.

my opinion, is to get the Pixi. Its a great device, and while its not as fast or powerful as the pre, it will most likely suite your GF's needs since it is very easy to use and understand (although there is a learning period for all devices). Plus, the pixi is small, thin, and Sexy, and offers many different colored back covers.

Last edited by GarrettQ; 02/17/2010 at 01:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast