1.    #1  
    I just got a clie (415), and I like it quite a lot, but the one thing I really miss is the date book + that came bundled with my old visor. The stock date book just doesn't cut it for me. Any suggestions?

Can I get the date book + as a download somewhere?

Are the replacements at http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/ any good? What is the difference between their v3 and v4 (it is not clear to me)?

Any other suitable suggestions?

In particular, I miss the page that showed all appointments in chrnological order in a long list, and the floating appointment with the complete check box option, plus a few of the other handy features.
    I can't remember if CESD has released a v5 or not, but I have
    the v4 and it's great. It basically extends the famiilar DateBk+,
    which is sort of a light version of DateBk v3 as I recall. Going
    from the stock date book, DateBk4 would blow you away;
    going from DateBk+ to DateBook and then to DateBk4, you will
    say: "Hey, cool, in addition to good ol' + features, I now get
    icons, enhanced alarm features, better scheduling, and more
    stuff that I don't yet understand." Check out the webpage
    you referred to in your message for the details. I love this
    datebook.

For $5, you can add icons from the 2kidsinagarage website,
    but honestly, once you have the icon capability (comes with
    an editor I believe - DBiced), you can edit your own. You
    basically have 52 icon "slots", which are just 52 hex entries
    in an ASCII file. If you carefully maintain the ASCII file, you
    can update it manually or use the DBiced to do this for you.

Good luck,
    Jerry
    I agree. DateBk4 is the way go! I've never had any problems with the program myself and after using DateBk+ on my prism and upgrading, all the options, icons etc. that were added in DateBk 4 really enhanced it's The nice thing is that the program in it's basic form is so similar to DB+ that you won't even have to read the manual to work it. If you really want to get the most from DB4 and all of the options available, you'll definitely have to study the manual, but it's worth your while.
    Also, DB 5 is at the candidate release stage and is a free upgrade for DB 4 users. I've used it for the last 2-3 weeks and it's worked just fine.
  4.    #4  
    I noticed DateBk5 (looking at the specs even if it is not released yet), does mention support for 320 resolution and greyscale, does DateBk4 do any of the same? I have got the screen, it would be nice to take advantage of 320 pixels, and get a semblance of colour using greyscale.
    I personally am not all that familiar with the grayscale capabilities since the prism has that beautiful color (at night)! It seems from CESD's website there is support for fine font for the high res screen. But CESD just stated in the DateBK discussion forum that he thought the candidate release for DB5 was very near final release stage (it's already at r3 right now), and since DB4 registered folks are eligible for a free DB5 upgrade, that support you want is already there.

P.S. The DB5 version has its own color icon editor that is very simple to use, and if I read correctly, is able to edit icons in grayscale too.
    I highly recommend DateBook4. I have been using this program since switching from my Prism to my CLIE 760.

I also really missed DateBook+ after giving up my HandSpring and decided to make the investment. It is very feature rich and CESD provides excellent support.

Right now, DateBook4 is in the process of becoming DateBook5. If you own DB4, DB5 is going to be a free upgrade. DB5 offers a lot of great features, such as the Icons that have already been mentioned. CESD also cleaned up the Preferences Window making it much easier to choose options. I have been testing the Beta releases for several months now and the Official Release should be out any time.

I do recommend reading the info on DB4/5 and DB3. DB3 is also made by Pimlico Software and is pretty much the same as DateBook+. You may find that DB3 has all the features you need. CESD still supports and updates DB3 and it is less expensive.

I would also recommend you check out ActionNames by Iambic. This is another popular solution. I have never tried it, but it usually gets mentioned by many when this subject comes up.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    A few additional notes to what GSR13 said:
    • I'm a Datebk4 user for 2 years, and have been using the Datebk5 betas for months (it's great!), but if you're only looking for Datebk+ functionality, take a hard look at Datebk3 first.

Datebk4/5 is immensely powerful; you can set up your Datebk exactly the way you want it. But with great power comes having to read the documentation.
    • A number of people who are familiar with both Datebk4 and ActionNames have recommended AN if you use your PDA in a contact-centric manner -- i.e., all your appointments, events, ToDos, etc. are related to a particular contact (address book entry). Otherwise, they recommend Datebk4/5.

Can't comment on this myself -- I've only used Datebk4/5. But fro what little I know of ActionNames, this sounds like good advice.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  8.    #8  
    I am trying the DateBk4 demo, and it's not bad. It still has some limitations that I am really hoping DateBk5 gets around, but it offers several other nice details, I am by and large impressed (the docs are bloody HUGE though, 96 pages)

The points it falls down on is...

-I would like to define a greyscale setting for different categories of entries. What I am hoping for is to have my wife's schedule in a dim grey, and mine in full black, so I can see the difference, but still be aware of her appointments. Right now, I have got her category hidden, and I have to unhide it to see her schedule.

-I would like to hide most undated to dos on the normal calendar page, but see them (along with the dated to dos) in the splitscreen page. Right now it seems your visibility settings apply to both the integrated and the split screen page.

- I would like the split screen to vanish when I move focus out of it, a sort of auto collapse.

-I would like better support for 320 resolution, the one spot that has it implements it very poorly (it makes an ugly mess of the text)

But with DateBk5 so close, maybe it will clean up these points. I have a while to play with the demo, so I have no need to rush.
    Originally posted by Mike Schilder
    -I would like to define a greyscale setting for different categories of entries. What I am hoping for is to have my wife's schedule in a dim grey, and mine in full black, so I can see the difference, but still be aware of her appointments. Right now, I have got her category hidden, and I have to unhide it to see her schedule.
    This is definitely doable with colors in Datebk5. I am assuming greyscale support for non-color units, but I can't say for sure.

-I would like to hide most undated to dos on the normal calendar page, but see them (along with the dated to dos) in the splitscreen page. Right now it seems your visibility settings apply to both the integrated and the split screen page.
    You can probably get around that using the Saved Views feature -- a very powerful feature that I've stayed away from, myself. Don't need it for myself.

- I would like the split screen to vanish when I move focus out of it, a sort of auto collapse.
    I don't believe there is an option for this; but as you say, it's a huge manual.

-I would like better support for 320 resolution, the one spot that has it implements it very poorly (it makes an ugly mess of the text)
    I think this is either a bug that has been fixed in the betas (in fact, in Release 2), or that you need to set the "Non-Roman Language" checkbox in the Appts preference to get it to work correctly. Depends on the version and the release.

I'm using Lubak's high-res OS5 font (wonderful!) with Datebk5 R2, and the fonts are fine in the weekly view, shrunk very small. A little difficult to read for these old eyes, but definitely clean and where it should be.

BTW, for answers to some of these requests by more knowledgable folks than I (including the author, CESD), I recommend a visit to the Pimlico Datebk discussion group on Yahoo.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."