Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    idk it looked kinda sluggish...and it didn't sense all his taps correctly there were sometimes where i feel he was just playing off it going into a certain section...and i hate the way it looks..it looks like a lg vu
    The interface looks like the silverlight facebook interface:
    Silverlight Client for Facebook

Which is nice looking but seems confusing. Its not very coherent. Its hard to know where you are exactly.. you just keep hitting left or right and see posts. They similar usage on the 360, its not the best interface either.

But its nice to see Microsoft bringing some more competition and doing something new. I won't buy it, but at least it looks nice.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    idk it looked kinda sluggish...and it didn't sense all his taps correctly there were sometimes where i feel he was just playing off it going into a certain section...and i hate the way it looks..it looks like a lg vu
    Its a engineer model not intended for public release... My pre misses taps, and swipes and its a final release..
    I am interested, if for nothing else, I find it really frustrating that there are no solid PIMs available for webOS. webOS is a fun toy, but it is doing nothing to improve my performance.

MS's Office software is the best there is for power users, I would like to see what they can do on a phone for productivity.

Also, the hub idea is kind of big, I started a thread on just that idea and would love to hear your thoughts. To me, it is as innovative a leap forward as card view was.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...51#post2223051
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I watched this video and what strikes me the most about WM7 is that it's synergy on steroids.

WebOS Synergy syncs:
    • Contacts
    • Instant Messaging
    • Calendar
    • Photo Upload
    • Video Upload (coming in 1.4)
    • Email

WM7 appears to sync most of that (except video upload) but it also adds
    • Photo download
    • Status updates
    • Status downloads

Additionally it appears to have a homescreen metaphor which IMHO WebOS is sorely missing.

Frankly, I think it's a mistake for microsoft to announce this so far in advance. Because I really don't think that it would be that hard to make a few additions for WebOS to catch up to these few features:
    1. Modify synergy to include status downloads as part of what's synced. Make status as pluggable as existing synergy sync - allowing plugins for twitter, facebook etc.
    2. Modify the contacts app to display the downloaded status, or add a "people" app that allows you to select groups of people whose status updates you want most.
    3. Create a status app that allows me to create a status update that syncs to all social (or specific) network plugins (e.g. above twitter, facebook, etc plugins).
    4. Update the Photo app so that it can sync photos from synergy sources that support it (e.g. facebook, flickr, picasa, photobucket)
    5. Extend synergy to the cardview homescreen, by allowing widget like apps to update the homescreen in realtime.
    6. Allow app developers to create and release plugins for the above features

I think if those few modifications were done, most of what's attractive to me about WM7 would disappear. And while I don't think these are minor modifications, they don't seem like they'd be that hard to add. I don't think they'll require a complete OS overhaul.
    Would be nice but at the rate palm is "finishing" webOS we won't see improvements like those for another year...
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Balmer himself used the words "dedicated Bing button"
    WinMo7 Hands-on: Engadget

Look around 1:08 in that video, it proves what i said.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Windows Phone 7 Series – Show and Tell - Windows Phone Blog - The Windows Blog

A black bar taking up about 1/5 of the screen make the UI "modern and unique"? Empty space makes a screen "modern and unique"? My goodness.

look at the video please. The SMS part is at about the 22nd minute. The email is a few minutes before. There is no way after watching it you can tell me that the UI is any good.
    I know, crazy huh?

Kinda how WebOS is modern with its desktop that takes up a whole 5/5 of the screen, displaying the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Nope, that's by design. The UI design on the Zune/WM7 is so awesome that I can't wait to see how Apple tries to top it.

I'm sorry, but zune and awesome in the same sentence? I completely disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    I know, crazy huh?

Kinda how WebOS is modern with its desktop that takes up a whole 5/5 of the screen, displaying the time!
    Im not really disagreeing with you about WebOS. I am not crazy about either.
    I would have to completely disagree with your complete disagreement.
    That fact that this isn't coming out until the end of this year and isn't definitively better in any way than phones that have already been on the market since the middle of last year (even in this heavily massaged demo form) tells you all that you need to know about Windows Phone 7 Series.
    Doesn't matter how you feel personally about the OS. Make no mistake, Microsoft is putting forth a real effort this time, that's pretty apparent.

This market space is rapidly getting crowded. It's another battle that Palm's going to have to fight. It doesn't bode well overall.

I'm a huge fan, but with Apple, Android, RIM, and a newly invigorated MS, tell me what's the strategy? An OS that's easy to use?

At best, Palm needs some new hardware quickly. I'd be highly surprised if Apple sits down with a repeat of the GS and 3.0 this release. Some of these Android phones are getting quite absurd with raw power. Now, we have MS back in the game.

At worst, Palm will get crowded out. They have an opportunity here, it's 8-10 months from launch. They need to push harder.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    I know, crazy huh?

Actually, it could be said that WebOS is even more wasteful in surface space due to the gesture area. That's a large portion of the phones face that could've been dual function as a "gesture area" and screen space IF it were actually part of a bigger screen.

Anyway, now that MS is showing that they are making steps to be back in the race then Palm is going to now compete with 3 other modern OS's. All four are universally appealing, but individually they each aim at a specific audience:

iPhone - App junkies, Typical Consumers
    Android - Geeks, Tweakers and ATT haters
    WinMo7 - Business, Windows and XBox Users
    WebOS - ???

Palm really needs to figure something out to make them unique because if they started off CES09 looking like a futuristic device but in many ways they're playing catch-up with features and losing mindshare with all the stories of crappy hardware.
    this phone is great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxX2AF5bBfk&feature=youtube_gdata I can't wait
    not impressed.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Just curious but have you used the latest Zune software?

I'm not into the subscription model for music and as a Mac user then the Zune just isn't on my radar. But I used it and the Zune interface is absolutely amazing.

Clean fonts, simplistic design and quick access to the built in features are really elegant. And if you add in the potential of XBox Live (and MS's gaming partnerships) then a "Zune phone" is exactly the direction MS should (and will) be going.

I think it's a shame that the "Zune" name was so quickly stomped on by the medial. It's a quality device got beat up more because of who makes it rather than how good it is. (I actually owned a brown refurb Zune that I used for a while as a car mp3 player. It worked great.)
    What makes the windows phone any better for business users than other phones? I can already read and edit office files on both my blackberry and iPhone.

What other crazy advantages am I missing here? Xbox integration?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    What makes the windows phone any better for business users than other phones? I can already read and edit office files on both my blackberry and iPhone.

I wouldn't know if it's "better" necessarily but there's something nice about native support vs workarounds. But it's also a psychological thing where a user may gravitate more towards a "matching" device. So similarly to how Mac users would favor an iPhone, now that WinMo doesn't suck then Windows users may be more interested in a Win7 phone.

As for "crazy advantages" then that all has to do with how open-minded you are towards a new product and how much you care about doing something different. At the least then this is just an alternative device to the competition. But considering how everyone is pretending that the iPhone and WebOS are now "gaming machines" then it will be interesting to see someone actually in the gaming market try their hand at mobile gaming.

I'm sorry, this homescreen looks awful. Whats with the huge nothingness on the right side?

IE = yuck!!
    Here's another pic of the 7Series homescreen.

I'm not sure what else you dislike so much about that. iPhone/WebOS users have been begging for an informative homescreen and now that MS offers a fully customizable and intuitive homescreen then it looks awful? The guy has 2 phonecalls, 3 text and 3 emails. My Pre and iPhone homescreen have a photo.

And (finally) as for IE=Yuck. I'm not a fan of either Desktop IE or Safari. But we're talking mobile and IE/Safari are both decent browsers so why prejudge everything so harshly. The whole point of WinMo rebooting their strategy is to fix the things they screwed up so badly in the past so this could be interesting.
    Last edited by Urkel; 02/15/2010 at 04:39 PM.

Your not missing anything. This phone obviously isn't for you. It is perfect for me, but that doesn't matter to you. Xbox integration and Zune integration is what I want. I even like IE. You don't want it... that is totally cool and there are a ton of other phones that aren't a good fit for me that are perfect for you.

Be glad there are choices. If they tried to make anything that made everyone happy, then no one would be happy.
    here is a better video, , and remember this is just surface.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast