Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i agree synergy (and universal search) needs improvement to be even better, but there are barriers out there we can't ignore. I love the demoed BING search on win 7ms, but thats only because MS own it and they can do it, while palm can't.

at this time, win7ms is only a concept demo, I will have to, and everybody should as well, wait and see the real retail version of handset, before making final conclusions.

it is only a sad cycle if you choose to ignore the advantages webOS offered from start, which no other platform could do to this day.
    Palm or anyone for that matter can use Bings api this has been announced after bing came out. even iPhone has an for it might i say its damn good
    Quote Originally Posted by alijahg34 View Post
    watch the video
    I did. Don't think they talked about any of the things I highlighted unless I just missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alijahg34 View Post
    I understand your feelings, I am talking about your facts. like the search button its not a dedicated bing button, its UI based so if you are in contact it will search your contacts. and the hardware are prototypes just to show of the UI did you watch the video I provided
    You are of course incorrect. Take a close look. It is a dedicated Bing button. It was even mentioned as such multiple times during the keynote. Did you watch the videos?

I'm sorry, this homescreen looks awful. Whats with the huge nothingness on the right side?

IE = yuck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So if I don't use an xbox, and I don't want to use the Zune marketplace (and I absolutely hate IE), why would I want this?
    You probably don't want this. It just means it is made more for me than you. Nothing wrong with that. It is the main reason I don't use Apple products.

I don't ski. That doesn't mean they should stop making ski boots.
    So Gizmodo just posted a quote from Joe Belfiore, the director of Windows Phone about multitasking.

"The core operating system is a modern multitasking operating system. If you play music for example, the music will play back as you navigate around the experience...if you're using email, we have great support for push email and that happens in the background.

For third party applications—we'll get into a lot more detail on this in MIX—but we have a few ways we're going to make sure that third parties can bring their value to the user even when the app is not running. Live tiles are an example. Data feeds in the hubs are another example for some apps."

So it looks like it's just like the Iphone except 3rd parties maybe able to post updated info to the tiles.
    Not having real multitasking is a bummer for power users, but I get the impression that Microsoft set off to create the iPhone equivalent of the MS World...I would definitely buy it if it supports multiple Exchange Accounts and Multitasking
    It's an interesting concept, but I'd never want to use it for my day to day activities.

Though, I do wonder what all the WM users who said how powerful it is compared to webOS because of years and years worth of apps will do now. Hopefully they'll give it Office at launch, at least.

No, but seriously, I agree that Microsoft needed a fresh start with this, and they definitely did that, but to me, only having watched a couple videos of it, it appears that they've taken the worst parts of everything to make this.

The major no-no in my opinion though is the clutter. I guess some Android users who use a ton of widgets might like this, but most people choose the iPhone because of simplicity - the general public seems to not want information overload like this gives.

And where are the notifications other than on that home-screen? I haven't seen anything yet on that front, hopefully they have some sort of intelligent system, because if they're only on the homescreen it's a usability nightmare.

For me personally, this would be my third choice in OS: I'd choose webOS and then Android over this, and then iPhone fourth. But the old WM would've been my very last resort, so they've at least improved a little bit.

But it obviously appeals to many here, so maybe Microsoft is doing something right.
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I would definitely buy it if it supports multiple Exchange Accounts
    I would hope it does, but right now, webOS is the only OS on the market that can do this. Not even WM6.5 does this. We'll see soon enough though.
    You are of course incorrect. Take a close look. It is a dedicated Bing button. It was even mentioned as such multiple times during the keynote. Did you watch the videos?
    I did watch the video. From the start screen, it works as a dedicated Bing button, but if you are in the contacts, it acts as a contact search. Watch again.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Have any of you forgotten the blue screen of death(wouldn't that be great in the middle of an important phone call).
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

I'm sorry, this homescreen looks awful. Whats with the huge nothingness on the right side?

IE = yuck!!
    One could say at least it has one and if we are comparing screens with big blank spots what about the home screen of webos big nothing with 5 icons
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    I did watch the video. From the start screen, it works as a dedicated Bing button, but if you are in the contacts, it acts as a contact search. Watch again.
    Balmer himself used the words "dedicated Bing button"
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    One could say at least it has one and if we are comparing screens with big blank spots what about the home screen of webos big nothing with 5 icons
    Yep, but this homescreen seems to be the big (only?) selling point of these devices. Why make a good portion of it blank?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Yep, but this homescreen seems to be the big (only?) selling point of these devices. Why make a good portion of it blank?
    Since this is a early build I would assume they just made it work for demo purposes, and will fine tune it once they have it farther along.

Or It might have another purpose who knows, to early to tell just yet....
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Since this is a early build I would assume they just made it work for demo purposes, and will fine tune it once they have it farther along.

Or It might have another purpose who knows, to early to tell just yet....
    Not so sure. The Zune has little things UI issues like this. Like words getting cut off at the end of the screen
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Not so sure. The Zune has little things UI issues like this. Like words getting cut off at the end of the screen
    I think they do that on purpose. If you clicked on Phone, why would you need the entire word phone at the top to establish where you are? That is how the Zune UI works, part of the word is displayed, and it still gives you the info you need to so that you are aware of where you are.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Nope, that's by design. The UI design on the Zune/WM7 is so awesome that I can't wait to see how Apple tries to top it.
    That will be the major selling point for people that don't like iTunes...I would love to have the Zune software...
    I watched this video and what strikes me the most about WM7 is that it's synergy on steroids.

WebOS Synergy syncs:
    • Contacts
    • Instant Messaging
    • Calendar
    • Photo Upload
    • Video Upload (coming in 1.4)
    • Email

WM7 appears to sync most of that (except video upload) but it also adds
    • Photo download
    • Status updates
    • Status downloads

Additionally it appears to have a homescreen metaphor which IMHO WebOS is sorely missing.

Frankly, I think it's a mistake for microsoft to announce this so far in advance. Because I really don't think that it would be that hard to make a few additions for WebOS to catch up to these few features:
    1. Modify synergy to include status downloads as part of what's synced. Make status as pluggable as existing synergy sync - allowing plugins for twitter, facebook etc.
    2. Modify the contacts app to display the downloaded status, or add a "people" app that allows you to select groups of people whose status updates you want most.
    3. Create a status app that allows me to create a status update that syncs to some or all of my social network plugins (e.g. twitter, facebook, etc plugins).
    4. Update the Photo app so that it can sync photos from synergy sources that support it (e.g. facebook, flickr, picasa, photobucket)
    5. Extend synergy to the cardview homescreen, by allowing widget like apps to update the homescreen in realtime.
    6. Allow app developers to create and release plugins for the above features

I think if those few modifications were done, most of what's attractive to me about WM7 would disappear. And while I don't think these are minor modifications, they don't seem like they'd be that hard to add. I don't think they'll require a complete OS overhaul.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 02/15/2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast